Rei I - Kaworu connection?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Paintballer
Embryo

Death and rebirth kaworu?

•      
  •      

Postby Paintballer » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:06 am

So I happen to be bored and turned on death and rebirth. Dont know if this has already been pointed out yet. When Naoko Akagi is choking Rei 1
Kaworu's reflection is seen in Rei's eyes. Whats up with that? Rei comes from or is made from Yui ikari and kaworu from Akagi.
I dont want to die

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 am

Since this thread has been "revived"...

I thought the Rei's soul inhabited only one clone at a time - hence Ritsuko calling the bodies in the reiquarium mere "things" she's "destroying" rather than killing... And Rei III 'feeling' things even though she has no memory of them...

I have a question related to Kaworu which I thought could fit in here - if the Dummy Plugs (Rei Type) had Rei Bodies from the Reiquarium in them, it would seem logical the Kaworu-type Dummies had Kaworu-clones from a similar Kaworuquarium in them... So, why didn't Kaworu's soul end up recycled into one of the bodies in the Kaworu-quarium - à la Rei III - after his death? Was SEELE unable to retrieve it? Or simply uninterested? Or Gendo got it first?
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:36 am

LiLi wrote:if the Dummy Plugs (Rei Type) had Rei Bodies from the Reiquarium in them

They don't.
Everything is subject to change.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:40 am

Zaque wrote:
LiLi wrote:if the Dummy Plugs (Rei Type) had Rei Bodies from the Reiquarium in them

They don't.

Thank you.

At first I thought the Dummy System was only made of digitalized Rei!Brainwaves, so to speak - but then I'm pretty sure I read in this very forum that reiclones were supposed to be in there... :confused:

If the technology was available, I still wonder why SEELE didn't make a Kaworuquarium though...

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 am

Hmmm... that's odd.

As for Seele though, I had thought they didn't know about the reiquarium until they interrogated Ritsuko. If not, I would guess that getting Ritsuko involved might ruin their plans.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:00 am

Zaque wrote:As for Seele though, I had thought they didn't know about the reiquarium until they interrogated Ritsuko.

It would seem that way... but what I mean is, then apparently they weren't aware the technology to make 'spares' for Kaworu was available at all...? I mean, they might come in handy...

Or perhaps they 'acquired' Kaworu as a side-effect of 2I and afterwards lacked some needed Adam Bodyparts/cells to clone him succesfully?

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:23 am

On second thought, I'm not sure if that technology was available or not. After all, it is rather old, and there are other intelligent people in the world than Ritsuko under Seele hire.

As for the relationship between Seele and Kaworu, I think it's no question that he was a side effect from 2I. as for cloning, I don't know why it would be needed if there wasn't a kaworu clone in the kaworu dummy plugs (even if there was, a clone of kaworu wouldn't have a soul for it to work). Besides, if Seele "owned" kaworu, putting him in a tank of LCL all day for creating the dummy system wouldn't be that big of an issue. And if Seele was planning on exterminating kaworu from the beginning anyway, I see even less of a use for them...

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:43 am

Zaque wrote:As for the relationship between Seele and Kaworu, I think it's no question that he was a side effect from 2I.

Yes, I think so too.

And if Seele was planning on exterminating kaworu from the beginning anyway, I see even less of a use for them...

I meant they might have wanted to keep spares in the annoying case Kaworu were to die before they were done with him...

Zaque
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Zaque » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:04 am

I suppose... but it's not like kaworu would kill himself, and it's also not like he has a fragile ATF either.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Re: Death and rebirth kaworu?

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:03 pm

Paintballer wrote:So I happen to be bored and turned on death and rebirth. Dont know if this has already been pointed out yet. When Naoko Akagi is choking Rei 1
Kaworu's reflection is seen in Rei's eyes. Whats up with that? Rei comes from or is made from Yui ikari and kaworu from Akagi.

1) Kaworu is not based off Akagi in any way.

2) I don't see Kaworu's reflection at all. Anyone got a screenshot?

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:16 pm

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Do you think that's our 'regular' Kaworu at 15 or could it also be Kaworu as a younger kid?

Axell
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby Axell » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Kaworu's there for the same reason he's ever anywhere, to rape the plot and leave it riddled with plot holes

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:21 pm

It's been mentioned before, but keep in mind this is Death, a mish-mash recap of 24 episodes. The obvious reasoning is that Tsurumaki wanted to make a connection between Rei and Kaworu, that there's something about these 2 that's different. It probably isn't meant as anything to be taken literally, like Kaworu was gathering Rei's soul, or that Kaworu was actually floating above Rei, or that Kaworu had anything to do with Naoko.

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Right, because I just took a look and that's not in the actual episode. Death and Rebirth isn't something you can take literally, unless you want to assume the five Children playing instruments together literally happened (which is impossible).

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:23 am

Ornette wrote:The obvious reasoning is that Tsurumaki wanted to make a connection between Rei and Kaworu

Well... Masayuki, actually.

It probably isn't meant as anything to be taken literally, like Kaworu was gathering Rei's soul

Well... Could be timespace-hopping Rei appearing as Kaworu. That probably doesn't make any sense either, though.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:35 am

Clearly it's the proof that Kaworu is a male clone of the senior Dr. Akagi!

...or it's just random Eva.

carla
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby carla » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:36 am

*stares at pic*

...how do people notice these things..?

*feels stupid*

:facepalm:

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:45 am

To be honest, i always thought that Kaworu functioned as a representation of death in that pic. The movie is titled Death, and it ends on Tabbi-kun's "death". Even when Kaji dies, there are strong visual parallels with Kaworu. So Kaworu is the one who dies, but also death itself (my interpretation of Kaworu in general tends to be a bit darker than the usual).

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:17 am

Reichu wrote:
It probably isn't meant as anything to be taken literally, like Kaworu was gathering Rei's soul

Well... Could be timespace-hopping Rei appearing as Kaworu. That probably doesn't make any sense either, though.

Why not? It makes just as much sense as timespace-hopping Rei appearing as Gendo when Rei 2 dies. Also, it allows for all three Reis' appearances in Instrumentality, even if you accept the theory that the Unit-00 and Rei 2 versions of the soul have been reunited in Rei 3. If the soul has been re-united how could there be three in Instrumentality? The first two must have been collected by Rei 3 before the reunion took place. (For this purpose we should ignore any time travel paradoxes, such as, "but if she grabs Rei 1's soul she's changing history! It couldn't have been put into Unit-00 or or Rei 2!" She brought them forward into an already established timeline.)

Yes, I think that Rei 3 appearing as Kaworu is probably what is happening here. There's no evidence in the Anime that a horde of Kaworus was also going about collecting souls.

Of course, this means that the 3 Reis have 2 complete souls between them, (assuming that there is no soul left in Lilith, which I don't neccessarily accept). Rei 1 partial soul from Unit-00 + Rei 2 partial soul = complete soul; Rei 3 = complete soul reunited in Ep. 23.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”