Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 4840
Joined: Aug 02, 2009
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Oz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:16 pm

Ryuichi Hiroki's Vibrator: Watching the film for the second time confirmed what I had in mind on the first time: pretty much every aspect of the film is out of balance. After an hour of roundabout free-flow the film comes to an amazing final third that wraps it all up beautifully. Hiroki's mixture of handheld, randomly framed cinematography and beautiful still shots doesn't properly work at first - it lacks punch and confidence. The plot is straightforward so he relies on the characters who feel severely underdeveloped for the whole time although with the ending pinpointing the thematics I can see why this approach was taken. Even though the film doesn't shy away from rough moments it has a hard time pulling you in and the characters remain quite distant. Even the sporadically used soundtrack lacks unity which makes the film feel even more odd. However, the enlightening ending makes up a lot of the film's weaknesses and I certainly want to see more films by Hiroki.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

gatotsu911
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1646
Joined: Dec 17, 2010
Location: US of East Coast
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby gatotsu911 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:52 pm

View Original Postrobersora wrote:For me Nolan movies are good, but ultimately lack heart. They seem so... constructed.

Precisely this. They're cold, constructed curiosities, crammed with complexity for the sake of complexity and devoid of soul or purposeful content. (It's crazy!)
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 3206
Joined: Aug 22, 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Gender: Male

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Watched the third Naruto movie with my brother today. All in all I did not care for it it just felt like filler in a bad way with a nice shiney coat of paint.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 4882
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:44 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Precisely this. They're cold, constructed curiosities, crammed with complexity for the sake of complexity and devoid of soul or purposeful content. (It's crazy!)


And so, you hate him that much?

Merridian
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3350
Joined: Jun 24, 2009
Location: Merriland

Postby Merridian » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:20 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:As for the pacing, it DID feel like two movies clustered in 2 1/2 hours. Joker and Dent's stories would have worked better as their own movies.
Thematically they worked well together, so I don't think you'd get remotely similar plots if they ended up with their own separate films; I think the problem was that they weren't really integrated into the same film well enough to make a cohesive story. The abruptness of the film's final act is where I think this comes out most, really.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 103
Posts: 2905
Joined: Aug 18, 2009

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:17 pm

Not my most recently seen movie, but I'm kind of curious if anyone else has seen Tran Anh Hung's adaptation of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood yet. It's finally coming stateside right now and I'm reminded of how ambivalent I was with it when I saw it.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 4840
Joined: Aug 02, 2009
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Oz » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:25 pm

^ I have and I recall talking about it with you briefly. It wasn't good at all.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 103
Posts: 2905
Joined: Aug 18, 2009

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:40 pm

I'm considering seeing it a second time if it comes to Madison any time soon, in part just to support screenings of Asian cinema in the US but also to see if my reaction to it changes. I remember liking parts of the movie but overall being greatly disappointed with how it felt more like a summary of the book than an actual movie. Of course, the movie probably would have had to pass the three hour mark to really be satisfying, in my opinion.

Of course, personally, I've always aspired to someday direct an adaptation of Murakami's Kafka On the Shore ever since I read it two years ago, which I couldn't see being satisfying at all unless it was at least four hours long, trying to imagine the pacing in my head. I still haven't finished the 900+ page 1Q84 yet, so let's hope I don't get aspirations to adapt that one.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 5095
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

Postby Tankred » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:18 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Don't give it much attention. The flavor of the month hate accusation is the mark of an immature and unimaginative mind.


Pfffffff- :rofl:

Azathoth
Angel
Angel
User avatar
Posts: 3495
Joined: Dec 08, 2009
Location: somewhere under noctis labyrinthus

Postby Azathoth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Doom. I remember the shitstorm that occurred when this came out, but I remember it mostly being about the first-person sequence, which I actually kind of like. It's the only action set-piece in the movie that feels like it doesn't belong in Aliens (or in the case of the last scene, WWE), and in fact sort of feels like Doom - or Doom at 1/10th speed anyway. What I did not remember about this movie was the hilariously clumsy religious subtext. I kind of wonder why you would need to add this, seeing as how the premise of the series was already "a guy shoots missiles and shit at the actual fucking Devil" - couldn't you just cut out the middleman here? But hey, what do I know, I don't make movies. Anyway, Karl Urban tries manfully to make our protagonist (name: 'Staff Sergeant John "Reaper" Grimm') come off as other than cardboard cutout. Kind of succeeds to my surprise. The Rock is less fortunate as his gruff commanding officer (name: 'Gunnery Sergeant Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson', probably), although to be fair he's written so schizophrenically that I don't blame the guy for not making anything out of the role. There's the rest of the team, but since they were basically all knockoffs of characters from either Aliens or Predator I'll skip them (except the excon who cuts crosses into himself whenever he sins, which is a pretty cool concept for a throwaway character and deserved to be wasted on a better movie than this). I think there was a woman in this movie too, but she was kind of ugly and all she did was scream, so whatever.

The benefit of watching this movie is that is sparks an urge, at least in me, to watch equally bad action movies that were made around the same time; some of these movies are also quite good. Like motherfucking Riddick. Why don't they still make that shit?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 3206
Joined: Aug 22, 2011
Location: Toronto Canada
Gender: Male

Postby Final Messenger » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:35 pm

Watched twister today. The movie had not aged well the CGI looks really bad but it was made back in the 90's so it is to be expected, but I still love the feel the movie gives me (I like man vs nature films)

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Jan 05, 2012 9:52 pm

A Street Car Named Desire. Well, this was bad, everything from mediocre pacing and not so good video quality at times to being too long and having little structure. Seriously, was there a real conflict? It seemed more like a series of events in day to day life. I probably would have given this a better ranking if the characters were not so absolutely looney. Seriously, the main character is insane, her sister is a complete wimp, and every guy in this movie is abusive and impulsive as hell; and it managed to be declared one of the best movies of all time!? HOW!? It's just a series of events with a woman paranoid about death thrown into a spouse abuse situation! Because it is so "real" and has "taboo" (in this case being alcohol references, although I found more smoking in here than drinking); if this is true than Family Guy is apparently the Rembrandt of our time.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

tomrule123
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1248
Joined: Dec 14, 2009
Location: New York
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby tomrule123 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:16 am

Sorry, 2 films that I've seen recently...
Super 8. Good flick, though the ending should've been better. It's Cloverfield with a plot... and non-nauseating camera shots.

Thor: For the most part, it was OK, but some scenes were a bit over-the-top... didn't expect that since the director directed Hamlet (1996) and Much Ado About Nothing. And yeah, some plot elements feel like some of Shakespeare's work... ironic when compared to Kenneth Branagh's earlier work... As for the visual effects: WOAH.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20428
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:30 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:It seemed more like a series of events in day to day life. I probably would have given this a better ranking if the characters were not so absolutely looney. ... it managed to be declared one of the best movies of all time!?
Welcome to the mundane world, TDSA. It's the same mindset that ends up ruling as non-literature novels that aren't all about adultery amongst the chatterati.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

gatotsu911
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 1646
Joined: Dec 17, 2010
Location: US of East Coast
Gender: Male
Contact:

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:36 pm

View Original Posttomrule123 wrote:Super 8. [...] It's Cloverfield with a plot... and non-nauseating camera shots.

Cloverfield with a plot? More like Stand By Me with a monster. The characters in that movie were so well-done that I wanted to see more of them and less of the cliche alien spiderbeast.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 4166
Joined: Feb 11, 2010
Gender: Male

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Welcome to the mundane world, TDSA. It's the same mindset that ends up ruling as non-literature novels that aren't all about adultery amongst the chatterati.

Which is a load of garbage if you give it some thought. I mean really, "good" movies are considered as such because they are boring? Where is Battlefield Earth's spot on "The Best Movies Ever"? It is not, that is why people tend to forget movies that are boring or not interesting. In fact, now that I think of it, I'm starting to think that the only reason half of those movies are considered good is because old people hate the youth that young people have, it only makes sense.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:43 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:In fact, now that I think of it, I'm starting to think that the only reason half of those movies are considered good is because old people hate the youth that young people have, it only makes sense.


What motivation did this cabal of conspiratorial old people have for liking those movies when they were still young?
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl
User avatar
Posts: 5843
Joined: Apr 09, 2005
Location: 5th dimension

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:33 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:What motivation did this cabal of conspiratorial old people have for liking those movies when they were still young?


Because lizard people and illuminati!


Super 8. Good flick, though the ending should've been better. It's Cloverfield with a plot... and non-nauseating camera shots.


I thought it was more like E.T crossed with Aliens, the biggest problem I had with this movie was the train derailment scene, I'm just not going to ever let that go it looks like...
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2838
Joined: Dec 19, 2010
Location: Tamriel
Gender: Male

Postby Trajan » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:41 pm

Edward Scissorhands

I'm not really a Burton fan but my girlfriend is, so this is what she picked. It's been so long since I've seen it, I forgot Vincent Price has a small role.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

Postby symbv » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:In fact, now that I think of it, I'm starting to think that the only reason half of those movies are considered good is because old people hate the youth that young people have, it only makes sense.

Or your taste is different from those people who lived in those days. Besides there are plenty of people who are not old but also think those movies are good.


=====

OT: Bumped into the teen movie Sky High, and I finally know where our fellow member "Warren Peace" got his user name.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests