Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:47 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Really the review is the whole point, to stop it being just a spammy list thread.

It's still a review if it's just one or two sentences, right?

[s]Also my dad was talking like halfway through the film anyway...[/s] :irked:
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:20 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Elysium.

"It's just a flesh wooooound!"

:smokin:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:48 am

The World's End. Booze, nostalgia, and I can't stop laughing. :lol:

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:02 am

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. (3.5/5)

My little sister loves it & wanted to show it off. It's a very pretty movie with some decent flourishes here & there but aside from reinforcing that desire to travel it doesn't do much else. There's very little drama to the story, basically all Mitty does is open his checkbook so he can go see the world, not to mention the product placement all over the film is pretty gross. But, it's a fun watch.

P.S. I checked the Khara website & I'm not good with translating what goes on there but I think on April 19 Hideaki Anno posted that he liked Captain America: The Winter Solider. If that's the case then cute.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:21 am

Last Night: 47 Ronin (or Dances with Swords) -- if this were shot in black and white in the contrast and brightness levels as demanded by Kurosawa I swear it wouldn't be out of place during Showa times... but it can't beat the Greatest Of All Time.

Tonight: The Wolf of Wall Street -- This is Goodfellas. With the stock market. Money. Total depravity. Fucking white-collar crime madness that the exaggeration I can only describe as hilariously dark. :lol:

And Leo's reaction faces. Priceless.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:46 am

^

MMM....AAAA...DUH KERRRNNTRY CLUB!!

The sad thing about this movie? This mentality is still really common among sales companies (not the depravity, but the greed and shadiness). Some of those garage scenes brought back nasty memories from my IT days....

*shudder*
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:14 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:^

MMM....AAAA...DUH KERRRNNTRY CLUB!!

The sad thing about this movie? This mentality is still really common among sales companies (not the depravity, but the greed and shadiness). Some of those garage scenes brought back nasty memories from my IT days....

*shudder*

That is the unfortunate reality with some "professions": where the big quick money is, there's the greed-induced madness comparable to lions competing for the kill -- every man for himself (in my profession I've heard horror stories of greedy techs try to rip off clients in many ways).

On the other hand, however, anyone who could master the art of persuasion, the sales talk and buttering up clients, will defeat but the most hardened cynic over the phone, and this film damn shows.

Scorsese! He really came full circle here! Damn!

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:53 am

Hirokazu Koreeda's Distance: It is a shame that Koreeda fails with his "Aum film": the story and idea has so much potential to be good, but Koreeda wastes it with a lack of dramatic structure, misuse of his documentary-ish style and a nonsensical ending.

Sang-ho Yeon's King of Pigs: A crudely animated Korean film that goes overboard with melodrama and SUFFERING.

Abdellatif Kechiche's Blue Is The Warmest Color: A stunning tour de force of storytelling and acting. Even though I usually despise films that mostly use just close-ups, but with this film it works quite well to its advantage. It is a reasonably explicit exploration of female sexuality and lust with two powerful and haunting lead performances.

Hayao Miyazaki's The Wind Rises: No matter how one looks at this film, it is that "one final film" for Miyazaki: superb animation quality, a precious subject for Miyazaki, an offbeat approach to storytelling and all around a deeply enthralling and moving masterpiece. I had high expectations for the film, but it even exceeded them. I was even more surprised by Anno's magnificent performance as the protagonist - he actually deserved to win that acting award for the performance after all.

Sogo Ishii's Electric Dragon 80000 V: A rewatch years after watching it for the first time. It was even more messy than I remembered: clunky storytelling, jarring pacing problems and memorable moments only few. However, it's a blast to watch with friends as it's short and ridiculous as hell. The climactic fight scene makes it worth the watch at least once.

Hirokazu Koreeda's Nobody Knows: Koreeda's most famous film packs a punch even on the third watch. As far as gut-wrenching tragedies go, this is Koreeda's best film although I slightly prefer his more subtle style that he used in Maboroshi and After Life.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:57 am

Last Temptation of Christ
So fucking beautiful, Willem Dafoe is my all time favorite Jesus, I loved that they stepped outside of canon to further explore Christ.

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:45 am

View Original PostOz wrote:Sang-ho Yeon's King of Pigs: A crudely animated Korean film that goes overboard with melodrama and SUFFERING.

I've heard about this one; some people have said it's really good. I must admit, from what I've seen (read: one screenshot) the art style looked interesting.

That said, I might like it. I am very fond of anvilicious/hammy writing after all. Let's face it, I loved Sukeban Deka, ridiculous plot and all. But mostly for Yuki Saito, who is lovely. I'm still not sure if you actually liked it or not...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:59 am

If you can enjoy an utterly grimdark piece of social criticism with an abundance of almost meaningless violence, then go watch it. The art style itself isn't that bad, but the atrocious animation quality makes it less enjoyable to watch. As for Sukeban deka, it's fun to watch for its camp value even though the main storyline isn't as entertaining as the standalone episodes of the first cour. I personally prefer the second season (at least based on how much I have seen of it so far).
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 am

Sukeban Deka waffling  SPOILER: Show
^I do agree that the standalone episodes in the first half were better than the second cour's more focused plot. I'd be happy to watch a 50+ episode series of Saki going against one-off crooks and villains (with occasional arcs focusing on a particularly fearsome villain). That said, I didn't think the second cour was all that bad, per se, it just suffered from the exceptionally campy nature of the series (and the first cour especially), especially when it started throwing in a plot related to eugenics. I liked it though- Reimi Mizuchi was a superbly bonkers villain, and I thought Yuki Saito was strong throughout the whole thing, giving even the narmiest bits a little credibility. Overall it was a very cheesy experience, but I definitely enjoyed it and if it ever gets an official English release I'll buy it. The opportunity to watch it without the horrendous subbing on Drama.net would certainly help.

From what I've heard, the 1991 OVA goes way too far the other way, and is filled with absurd amounts of sex and violence. I do like me some ridiculously OTT grimdark (40K and Kill Bill fan after all) so I might like it, who knows.

I will definitely check out the second season, if it's as good as you say it is. Isn't that the one with the girl in the iron mask thingy?

I'd love to check out the original Manga but like so many things from the 70s I don't think it was ever officially translated and I don't know if it was fanslated.

On topic (y'know, movies) I know there were 2 or 3 Sukeban Deka movies, one of which had every incarnation of Saki fighting together to defeat some ubervillain. I'll definitely watch those. However I don't know if the 2006 reboot movie is any good. I remember seeing clips from it, and Saki looks absolutely nothing like Yuki Saito, and for some reason she's wearing some catsuit bullshit instead of the iconic sukeban skirt, or even her red motorcycle leathers. I might watch it, but I don't think I'm going to like it...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 01, 2014 4:32 am

The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Better than the first awful reboot. But still terrible. We're in the Joel Schumacher era of Spider-Man films... minus the rather enjoyable camp.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu May 01, 2014 2:54 pm

David Lynch's Dune -- after decades I decided to watch it again. Still is campy. Could have become something but no thanks to executive meddling it's still the skeleton in his closet.

But otherwise what got me to watch it is: "My name is the killing word."

Dune predated Skyrim. :lol:

Squigsquasher
Banned

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu May 01, 2014 3:00 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:David Lynch's Dune -- after decades I decided to watch it again. Still is campy. Could have become something but no thanks to executive meddling it's still the skeleton in his closet.

But otherwise what got me to watch it is: "My name is the killing word."

Dune predated Skyrim. :lol:

I thought Dune was a scifi classic?
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

Postby StarShaper7 » Thu May 01, 2014 4:17 pm

The Fifth Element and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

I'm kind of ashamed to say Fifth Element is the only Luc Besson movie I've seen when he's so damn prolific. I really need to watch Nikita and Leon: The Professional. It's an all-around great action movie, with strong humor as well. Chris Rock was hilarious. Gary Oldman's Zorg was also pretty great. I wouldn't call it as provocative as, say, Blade Runner would have been at the time of its release. But that's not the intent with which the movie was made. It's just pure fun and high adventure. It succeeds wonderfully in that regard. 9/10.

"This is bat country." Oh my God, Hunter S. Thompson's voice is awesome. I didn't even notice it was Johnny Depp until 10 minutes in. He and his lawyer, Dr. Gonzo, go on an adventure through Las Vegas (and surrounding areas) with enough drugs and alcohol to kill an elephant. I thought Dr. Gonzo was pretty fucked up, at least more so than Hunter. He makes these overt displays of masculinity because he's frustrated. So he takes out his knife to assert dominance over situations in which he feels threatened. This is probably because he's functioning with a ton of drugs and alcohol in him, but it seems like it just shows his true colors. Aside from Gonzo, there are also observations of other Americans. They're all afraid of something or loathe something, hence the title. The American Dream is mentioned with regards to these people. It is nothing but a fabrication. There maybe opportunities in America not available in other places, but this just gives more opportunities to be exploited. Fear and loathing exists everywhere. It manifests in different ways. All the material joy that comes with progress doesn't change any of that. At least that's what I got from this movie. 9/10.

I also watched Amelie, but I don't really have much to say about it. I thought it was funny and quite charming. Towards the end there was that cliche of doubt of whether or not they will get together because of a misunderstanding, but thankfully not too much time was spent on that. It's a celebration of life, with all the good and the bad, because ultimately it's just a beautiful thing. It's probably the only romance-centric movie that I really like too. 7/10.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu May 01, 2014 5:45 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I thought Dune was a scifi classic?

The book is - the film is legendary for being a mess.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu May 01, 2014 5:51 pm

I like the movie, but I prefer the extended version. The sheer weirdness of some of the scenes is amazing. Like the thing with the cat, what the fuck is that?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri May 02, 2014 12:31 pm

Superman Returns - Though the plot felt like a retread of the 1978 movie and sometimes the special effects don't seem up to par, Kevin Spacey does a menacing Lex Luthor well, Kate Bosworth may look too young to play Lois Lane but she does have the hotness to make up for it, and Brandon Routh does justice to the role left behind by Christopher Reeve. All in all, I dare to make the conclusion that this film was better than the Man of Steel reboot and prepare for the repercussions that come with making such a claim.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 02, 2014 1:25 pm

^
I preferred it over Man of Steel too but Man of Steel had some amazing battles.

Return to “Film and Video”