YouTube Videos

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

Re: Herman Cain: Pokemon Master?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:58 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/03/herman-cain-quotes-pokemon_n_1127221.html

Just by this, he should be nominated instead of Gingrich, Perry, or Bachmann.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4889
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Playing politics. BD

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:25 am

^ Totally agree, he also had an economic plan (999) that many think was based on SimCity. The guy was an inward geek, I just know it.

By the way, Rep. Bachmann and Gov. Perry are pretty much gone at this point, it's now between Gingrich and Former Mass. Governor Mitt Romney.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

Re: Playing politics. BD

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:47 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:By the way, Rep. Bachmann and Gov. Perry are pretty much gone at this point, it's now between Gingrich and Former Mass. Governor Mitt Romney.

Sure. I just named all the "anyone-but-Romney" we have had so far :)
Personally I think Huntsman is the best of the lot, and he speaks Chinese :)
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2960
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Playing politics. BD

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:53 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Personally I think Huntsman is the best of the lot, and he speaks Chinese :)

Huntsman's in the same boat as Ron Paul, they don't get enough coverage.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

Re: Too mean-spirited, I'd say. Bl

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:52 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:I agree with what Nostalgia Chick says, in that if you're going to make fun of something, it should generally be out of "love", not "hate".


There's room for both. A gentle ribbing is fine, but so is a merciless thrashing. Though I do think hate more often invokes a more passionate response, it's more likely to be blind or misdirected and a tongue-in-cheek critique is better often used to support an argument than standalone by itself.

Alaska Slim wrote:Anger can be funny, but manufactured or natural, I feel it's really far too saturated in reviewing now-a-days.


Definitely. But that's mostly due to talentless hacks who thinks rage translates to comedy. I do think that because rage ultimately translates to a more visceral experience because of the passion involved-- thus the best of the angry will be more memorable than the best of the gentle-- and so many imitators miss the point, because their imitations are so limp.

Alaska Slim wrote:I stopped watching when he started the minority argument. The average person knows such an argument is fictitious, it's just wasting my time hearing him rant about it.


Well, he didn't so much rant about it as take five seconds to disprove it by saying that predominantly Black and Hispanic countries like South Africa and Mexico still have far lower prison sentencing. The whole thing was really a fraction of a fraction of the video.

I don't disagree with you on your criticisms of his shtick either. He is frequently far too obvious and that does get overbearing at times. I do think he's at his best when he's raw, tangential and improvised. That makes him feel far more natural than his far more scripted peers. Ultimately good comedy isn't about your attitude, it's about what you bring to the table. I think Yahtzee is by far the funniest person on the Internet and it's not because he's a mercilessly cynical bastard; it's his constant clever word play and evocative imagery that puts him in a league of his own.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Dirty Mick
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 32
Posts: 504
Joined: Aug 25, 2009
Location: Terminal Dogma
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dirty Mick » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:24 pm


Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4889
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Re: Too mean-spirited, I'd say. Bl

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:49 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:There's room for both.

Agreed, but I prefer to see a balance. There are a lot of genuinely angry people in world, many of who have a right to be, but I always respect more those who make the effort to take a step back, and be able to make concessions about their viewpoints.

The person who best comes to mind to me for that is SFDebris. He has a scaving "righteous fervor" about him whenever he's reviewing Voyager or Enterprise, or one of the lesser episodes of the prior three franchise shows, but he's consistently manages to reel himself in, admit "this is just his opinion", and even freely points out his double standards. Then whenever he finds something genuinely good, even among crap, he notes it. In doing this, and also being able to articulate his reasoning, (or just cleverly outlining it), I get a consistent feeling of enrichment whenever I watch his videos.

For that reason, I feel if I ever had the chance to talk to him personally, and we had a disagreement, we could discuss it, where as if I had a disagreement with AA/DW, it surely just bog down into a pissing match.

AA has done some of former, granted (like in the video I linked), but it didn't appear to me to be something he does often. He just gets angry, makes an annoyed, begrudge concession every once in a while, but generally acts as though if you don't agree with him, you're just a retard. Even in times I did agree with him (which was quite often), I just found this attitude off-putting.

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think Yahtzee is by far the funniest person on the Internet and it's not because he's a mercilessly cynical bastard; it's his constant clever word play and evocative imagery that puts him in a league of his own.

True dat, but dammit Mug, you just reminded me I hadn't seen his videos in while, I GOTS TO STUDY MAN! :headdesk:

@Topic: ... The joke is that it's true to life Why oh why can't we just strangle them?.
Last edited by Alaska Slim on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 4840
Joined: Aug 02, 2009
Location: Finland
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Too mean-spirited, I'd say. Bl

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Oz » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:57 pm

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I think Yahtzee is by far the funniest person on the Internet and it's not because he's a mercilessly cynical bastard; it's his constant clever word play and evocative imagery that puts him in a league of his own.

THIS. Even though I haven't been following gaming news for a few years I still watch his reviews every week.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades
User avatar
Age: 43
Posts: 4881
Joined: Feb 26, 2010
Location: Anywhere
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:06 am

Misheard dialogue in this TV ad: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uQx1lp46jvo

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:24 am

Happy Set -> Having SEX ??!??! :rofl:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2000
Joined: Nov 25, 2010
Location: America
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:24 pm

If I heard the following as a kid, I would so watch every episode after listening to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8CsJnwUQEw

(wouldn't you believe this is a parody of an actual 80s theme song?)

Oh, and since a few people were curious about TJ, I'll let one of the forum members of the site explain (he said what's coming up on a different forum though; here's what I got it from)...

"Mike Ellis and of course the Distressed watcher. Why mention them together? Because the former's firing is eventually the reason why the later was let go. Based on what DW said in his youtube video he was friends with Ellis once DW was on the site who would often joke with him and talk some smack about some of the other contributors. (Like Linkara for instance). Eventually Ellis was let go in August 2010 and since he was a CEO of Channel Awesome and one of the original founders I presume it was more then just talking bad of people, but they haven't exactly said why. Anyway after Ellis was let go TJ eventually found his videos getting a "lower" placing then they normally did on the schedule. See on most daily TGWTG you get seven new videos. And DW (aka TJ) said his was always like 4 or 5 out of 5 or 6. And then they started becoming 5 or 6 out of 6 or 7. And because they were getting a lower placing, the views were apparently dropping some. Which dosen't really make sense to me as if you liked the guy you would of seen his videos anyway and watched them as it dosen't matter whose really placed on the schedule, but that's the story he stuck with.

And with the lower views he started to become lazier with his weekly videos and started putting less and less effort into them and thus the quality started to noticably drag. Ones that not only noted him less views but also more hate and flames. Channel Awesome actually had to stop him from uploading one of his planned videos (Top 10 gayest music videos) due to the fear that video would get him flammed by pretty much everyone. That along with commerical companies not wanting to put their ads in TJ's vids eventually led to him getting fired. He was actually let go in July but had till September to post videos and even explain to everyone what happened and promote his new site (that he wants to make to compete with TGWTG) but due to disinterest he stopped making videos in July and a couple of weeks ago his videos disappeared off the site. so yeah that's the story of what happened to him more or less."
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 45
Posts: 11795
Joined: Dec 26, 2005
Location: Pittsburgh/New York City
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ornette » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:29 pm

Kimi Raikkonen's back in F1, Vettel spares no time to poke fun at him: http://jalopnik.com/5865197/watch-sebastian-vettel-impersonate-kimi-raikkonen

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 1926
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:11 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Kimi Raikkonen's back in F1, Vettel spares no time to poke fun at him: http://jalopnik.com/5865197/watch-sebastian-vettel-impersonate-kimi-raikkonen


Small world, Jesus Christ. I went to elementary school with Juho Hänninen.

--

Chicks swept off their feet.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus
User avatar
Posts: 4889
Joined: Oct 08, 2007
Location: The Land Up Over
Gender: Male

Some weird sh*t goes up in there... Bl

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:37 pm

^ You live in Finland, when people think of "It's a Small World After All" they picture you!

Your population is so small in fact, I'm certain you all know each other by no further than the 4th degree. Whereas in Alaska, we're all on a first name basis! Except for those weirdos up in the Northern Slope, even if we do know them, we just pretend we don't...
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 62
Posts: 20369
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:15 pm

You wouldn't download a bicycle.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 5090
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:37 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You wouldn't download a bicycle.


Brb, torrenting gunpla.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 635
Joined: Feb 07, 2011
Location: 609 miles southwest of Branch 01
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You wouldn't download a bicycle.

Coool. I've seen those sorts of machines when I had an internship at NASA, and my high school's robotics team got one for prototyping.

Of course, now I'm watching the original "You Wouldn't Steal an [X]." Deliciously ironic because someone probably "illegally" copied it to put it on YouTube. The music they used isn't bad either.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
User avatar
Posts: 2711
Joined: Apr 03, 2005
Location: In transit
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby drinian » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:21 pm

[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 2960
Joined: Aug 20, 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:46 pm

^
Taylor Sensei........... :spout:
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 51
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 pm

^
^
Would be a nice one to wrap up the Sendai earthquake and tsunami thread too. (though I find the BGM to be very American taste :p )


View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:You wouldn't download a bicycle.

Relevant reading : http://www.economist.com/node/21541382
The trend is clear -- 3D printing is to be a powerful tool in design and manufacturing industry.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest