Favourite dub Kaworu?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

Favourite dub Kaworu?

•      
  •      

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:45 pm

I was a little bored, so I decided to post this.

During both the TV series, Director's Cut and EoE, Akira Ishida was the voice of Kaworu throughout both of them in the sub version. But in the dub, there were three different actors chosen to play Kaworu and one of them was already in the series as another character.

So I would like to settle this topic, who is the best Kaworu in dubbing?

Your choices:

Kyle Sturdivant (tv series)

Greg Ayres (director's cut)

Aaron Krohn (D&R and EoE)

The choice is yours.
Spike Spiegel: Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.

The follower of the Shinji/Rei paring

myheadexplode
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby myheadexplode » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:41 pm

personally i liked the EoE Kaworu, his voice was actually pretty cool. The series Kaworu had a very lispy voice if i remember correctly. The DC Kaworu was also okay. Why did his actor change so much anyway? was it because Manga made the movies instead of ADV?
he who would empty the lake of fire must have a long spoon

Heidroch
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Heidroch » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:45 pm

As a fan of the dubs, I find this to be a viable topic.

My opinion-

Krohn has my vote. I think he did an excellent job in the movies, especially D&R.

A close second would be Sturdivant.

Ayres comes stumbling in at a distant third. He did an absolutely horrid job in the director's cut dub, I was sorely dissapointed. His performance was bad enough to make me, a pro-dubber, always watch that director's cut episode in Japanese.

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Six Winged Angel » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:47 pm

Kaoru in D&R sounds more.......divine..so my vote goes for Krohn too

question: is krohn at the platinum edition??
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:06 pm

My vote goes for the EoE actor, it should be obvious for multiple reasons the series Kaworu sucked. For the love of god he was voiced by the same VA as Kensuke.

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:54 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:My vote goes for the EoE actor, it should be obvious for multiple reasons the series Kaworu sucked. For the love of god he was voiced by the same VA as Kensuke.

Kensuke? Kurt Stoll played Kensuke and he's didn't play Kaworu.
Spike Spiegel: Look at my eyes, Faye. One of them is a fake because I lost it in an accident. Since then, I've been seeing the past in one eye and the present in the other. So, I thought I could only see patches of reality, never the whole picture. I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was over.

ThroneofDravaris
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThroneofDravaris » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:03 pm

Aaron Krohn pwnz, although it seems like everyone knows this already.
BEWAREOBLIVIONISATHAND

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:50 pm

Must've got the names confused. I don't pay too much attention to VA's unless I really hate/love them.

Trowa_Ayanami
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Trowa_Ayanami » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:21 pm

SEELE 08 wrote:Must've got the names confused. I don't pay too much attention to VA's unless I really hate/love them.

That's fine.

I wasn't too fond of Aaron Krohn's performance as Kaworu. The reason is because every time I look at Kaworu in D&R or EoE, I can't look at Kaworu without thinking Kaji.

Maybe it would have been best if Aaron Krohn played Kaworu in the TV series and Director's Cut as well as EoE and D&R, and have someone else play Kaji, like maybe Steve Blum.

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:25 pm

I didn't like him either, too lispy and kinda gay. Sounded like he should be giving the folks at NERV and SEELE advice on window treatments and interior design rather than being an angel.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:02 am

There was a difference between them? Meh. I don't pay attention to VAs and well and really couldn't tell too much of a difference.

But looking back at it in retrospect, I guess the EoE Kaworu was best. Even though I couldn't tell much of a difference, I did remark once that Kaworu sounded more "bad ass" than normal in EoE.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:17 pm

None of them lives up to the original, Mr. Akira Ishida. But if I had to pick any of them I would have to go with Aaron Krohn.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:51 pm

I've never been able to endure the EoE dub long enough to hear Kaoru in that...

And I've never even watched #24 dubbed...

So the only Kaoru dub I know is the one from D&R, and he was pretty pants.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:45 am

Krohn sounded flat to me, like he was narrating an airline safety video, while Sturdivant sounded like he was reading his lines while he had to go to the bathroom. Believe it or not, I am the one person in this forum who has not yet seen the Director's Cuts (why should I when I'm in the one place where I really didn't have to?), so I can't judge the third guy, Greg Ayaye-something.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:11 pm

Well actualy i havent watched the DC's either... but I will soon enough, when ever the fracking mail decides to give me my movies!!!!
Mr. Bud
"Suits? You've got to be kidding me.
Mighty Morphin' Ev-an-gel-i-ooooonnnn!"

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:07 pm

EoE's dub wins in all respects. Even Asuka who was very annoying in the series was great in the movie.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

SEELE 08
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE 08 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:25 pm

I far preferred Yui's dub actor in EoE AWL did a good job. The TV dub actoress's voice just oozed SEX. She sounded like she wanted to have sex on Fuyusuki's desk even though she was talking about a paper she wrote. "shudders* Ick Fuyusuki- what a creep.
I heart Encyclopedia Dramatica!
THAT WIKI/Aspergers

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:32 pm

Ok i just got my DC today (about fracking time lol) and I really dont like the english VA's gendo sounds way differnt (in a bad way too) and kawaru sounds messed too. And if I'm not mistaken... the mis-pronounced Nagisa.
Mr. Bud

Seele 08
"Is it a sign that you might be an otaku when your betta fish are all named after anime characters? One betta is named....Gendo. No wonder my mom and freinds think I'm a nut case."

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:57 am

Pshaw, Kaworu sounds like a pedophile in them all.

TheBlueTree
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby TheBlueTree » Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:45 pm

not to mention that the Seele mebers sound totally gay too!
Mr. Bud

Seele 08

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”