Wasn't Tokyo-3 supposed to be anti-angel?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kye7
Embryo

Wasn't Tokyo-3 supposed to be anti-angel?

•      
  •      

Postby Kye7 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:01 am

I don't know if I'm confused or just stupid, but it seems like all of the angels tear up the city and all of the surrounding area..

I thought it was a city built to withstand angel attacks..
So why do all of the buildings get destroyed so easily?

image removed
Last edited by Kye7 on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Humanity is probably the only creature capable of hating it's own kind."

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Wasn't Tokyo-3 supposed to be anti-angel?

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:17 am

View Original PostKye7 wrote:I thought it was a city built to withstand angel attacks..

Was it? That would be news to me. I only know GeoFront was built to withstand angel attacks..
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:25 am

I think most of the effort went into making the geo front. As I recall even Ritsuko or maybe it was Fuyutsuki said that using the citiy's non eva defences (eg the gun turrets) was a waste of the tax payer’s money
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:53 am

Just because Tokyo-3 has Angel defenses does not mean that the city is Angel-proof.

As is shown in the series, the Angels come in all shapes and sizes and some have very powerful or specialized forms of attack. While the city has armaments, special support systems, and so forth, some of these Angels are just so powerful that they can obliterate multiple layers of fortified armor.

Remember Zereul in episode 19 and Evangelion 2.22? That was one badass mother fucker, and it came in so quickly, they didn't even have time to ready themselves.

View Original PostKye7 wrote:You could have at least uploaded it to an image hosting site...

I suggest using imgur:

http://imgur.com/

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:06 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Remember Zereul in episode 19 and Evangelion 2.22? That was one badass mother fucker, and it came in so quickly, they didn't even have time to ready themselves.

Whereas in the Petit Eva continuity he is chased by Unit 01 and his boogers of doom and then falls in love with Rei 2. :D

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:12 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Just because Tokyo-3 has Angel defenses does not mean that the city is Angel-proof.

As is shown in the series, the Angels come in all shapes and sizes and some have very powerful or specialized forms of attack. While the city has armaments, special support systems, and so forth, some of these Angels are just so powerful that they can obliterate multiple layers of fortified armor.

Remember Zereul in episode 19 and Evangelion 2.22? That was one badass mother fucker, and it came in so quickly, they didn't even have time to ready themselves.

Took the words right out of my mouth. How could they possibly have predicted the raw power than Zeruel and Ramiel. I highly doubt the Dead Sea Scrolls have detailed descriptions of each angel.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:46 pm

I say just stop developing guns and improve on the progressive knife.
Tokyo 3 had the best defense nerv could manege, but nothing offensive aside from the gun turrets, even the GeoFront isn't impregnable, Zeruel proved that.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Underestimate. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:57 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:Tokyo 3 had the best defense nerv could manege, but nothing offensive aside from the gun turrets,.

Oh, it certainly had a lot more than that, the Missile-launching skyscrapers, the MLRSs, the rows upon rows of tanks, the giant train-borne Mortar, etc. Tokyo-3 is an array of all sorts of projectile-firing devices.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:04 pm

yeah, the only reason I didn't mention them was because for the most part they were ineffective, well aside from the Positron Sniper Rifle‎.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:20 am

Being designed to do something and actually pulling it off are two different things entirely. Nerv had clearly no idea how powerful the Angels really were, so they just went for a general anti-giant monster route that failed horribly.

The Angels have been proven to be adaptive and intelligent. Sachiel was the only serious Angel to be affected by conventional weaponry, and even then it was only startled. All the others aside from Iruel required the Evas to beat. My guess is they all learned from Sachi's mistake and chose forms that would shrug off most conventional weapons like they were spit-wads. Hell, look at Shamshel's entrance. It just glided into Tokyo-3 and wasn't even pretending to notice the firepower unloaded on it.

Plus, let's face it, if an Angel went down to regular bullets it would be mighty lame. I'm looking at you Matty.

EDIT:Whoops, how'd that happen?
Last edited by CyberXIII on Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

•      
  •      

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:03 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:Being designed to do something and actually pulling it off are two different things entirely. Nerv had clearly no idea how powerful the Angels really were, so they just went for a general anti-giant monster route that failed horribly.

The Angels have been proven to be adaptive and intelligent. Sachiel was the only serious Angel to be affected by conventional weaponry, and even then it was only startled. All the others aside from Iruel required the Evas to beat. My guess is they all learned from Sachi's mistake and chose forms that would shrug off most conventional weapons like they were spit-wads. Hell, look at Shamshel's entrance. It just glided into Tokyo-3 and wasn't even pretending to notice the firepower unloaded on it.

Plus, let's face it, if an Angel went down to regular bullets it would be mighty lame. I'm looking at you Matty. The city's main weapons w

I think this post wasn't finished. He didn't mention Candlejack, so that wou
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

supershinjiasukashipper
"doggy"

•      
  •      

Postby supershinjiasukashipper » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:36 pm

Okay, considering the design of the city you seem to have misunderstood. It is not meant to be completely angel proof, but it is meant to reduce the loss from an angel attack. (I.E. Buildings that go down into the ground and bomb shelters everywhere.)
Interesting Quote:
ANTA just went full BAKA - Tines-sans reaction to my MS paint thread fail.
my fanfic.net account, enjoy my work, praise me! http://www.fanfiction.net/u/2164682/
Forgive my spelling errors, my keyboard acts quite weird weird.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:00 am

View Original PostCyberXIII wrote:they just went for a general anti-giant monster route that failed horribly

Considering that Matarael went down with only a burst of Palette Rifle, I'd say that it was the lack of electricity that prevented NERV to take it down without even deploying Evas...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am

View Original Postarael wrote:Considering that Matarael went down with only a burst of Palette Rifle, I'd say that it was the lack of electricity that prevented NERV to take it down without even deploying Evas...

View Original PostEpisode 11 wrote:Asuka:
I have a plan.
The one who stays here will be defense.
Their job is to neutralize the AT Field,
and to protect the offensive player from the liquid solvent.
The backup player will go down, pick up the rifles,
and hand them to the offense.
The offense will then fire a volley to destroy the target.
Does that sound good?

CyberXIII wrote:Sachiel was the only serious Angel to be affected by conventional weaponry, and even then it was only startled.

"Startled" might not be the right word... Sachiel starts off in mostly defensive/escape mode, more interested in being left alone than fighting, and only takes out one of the attacking VTOLs. After stepping on the mine, Sachiel seems to get so paranoid that he takes out an unmanned surveillance craft with an eye blast.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 am

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote:I say just stop developing guns and improve on the progressive knife.

...and now I have the image of giant pit traps filled with progressive punji stakes. This totally sounds like a Misato plan.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Someone
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Someone » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:31 am

It is anti-angel because it has EVA units.
If they had anything else, then they probably wouldn't use those EVA's that can only be piloted by CHILDREN.
DISCLAIMER: The above statement might or might not be serious.

Stikuru
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Stikuru » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:37 am

Yeah, I don't think Nerv was fully aware of the how powerful the Angels would be.

And even if Gendo was aware, he couldn't really go about telling the entire world how he find out about their power (IE the dead sea scrolls/ SEELE / any other way he found out).

Anyways, back on topic, a statement is made in the first battle against Sachiel about how ordinary weapons are ineffective against an angel with an AT field.

It is mentioned that this was also "predicted". But in my opinion even though they predicted that ordinary weapons would be ineffective I think they would still TRY to take them out that way. Because if they actually DID work, can you imagine how much easier that would have made their job? No more billion dollar repairs on Eva units in every fight! xD

And in any case they can be used as a distraction if they fail anyways (such as with Ramiel).

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:58 pm

View Original PostStikuru wrote:Yeah, I don't think Nerv was fully aware of the how powerful the Angels would be.

This. Well, at the beginning at least. I don't think that NERV had actually had any fights with Angels before the Sachiel attack.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”