Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Portable media devices?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:02 am

Can anyone recommend a goof portable media device suitable for watching anime fansubs on the go other than a iPod Touch? I thought to myself, hey, my work commute is a half hour each way, I could get through two episodes a day at least.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:05 am

Can't those newfangled smart phones play video files? I'm pretty sure a tablet could do it, too. How portable are you going for?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:18 am

I don't have a smartphone. I don't want to buy a tablet. I want something the size of an iPod/smartphone that's purposed for media playback. I know the iPod is a good fit along those lines, but I was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:40 am

I have one of those cheapo multipurpose Chinese-made portables with a decent screen size (about as big as VCD resolution), optional TV output, and its ability to use SD cards, but I would prefer using a PSP for better playback quality.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:57 am

I used to use one of those chinese media players with mkv, subtitle support too.
Something by oppo, can´t remember the model.
But some 720p encodes lag like crazy and the subtitle support sucks with lengthy subtitles going over the screen and being cut off on both sides because it HAS to be in one line.
I sometimes use it to watch some .avi files, but I´ve given up on watching softsubbed files on that thing.
Maybe the new ones have gotten better, dunno.

My Samsung Galaxy SII is running 1080p mkv files with a decent subtitle renderer fine(Still fixed to the bottom of the screen, but it handles new lines well), depends on the encoding, really.
Because HorribleSubs releases can lag a little at times, but it can be fixed by simply changing to faster encoder(which is supposed to look worse, but it´s not that bad).
No 10bit support yet though.
And it´s gonna get a lot cheaper when the new Samsung hits the market.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:54 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:My Samsung Galaxy SII is running 1080p mkv files with a decent subtitle renderer fine

All hail the Galaxy :bow:

Which video player do you use? I use "MX video player" on mine and it works great so far, although I've also experienced issues with horrible sub releases. Also with that video player you can really play with how your subs look.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:30 pm

All hail the galaxy, but weren't you using an iPhone just a while ago?
Edit:Got the wrong man, sorry.
:lol:

I use the MX Video player too, its probably the best out there.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Modded Game Boy Advance.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:10 pm

Yeah, I have some shell scripts that can burn in subtitles and resize for players that don't support nice things like .mkv. They were written for a Nokia N82, but could be adapted for other uses. Of course, HandBrake can fill many of the same purposes now. No doubt some of these cheap Android tablets are capable, if you want that size screen.

Or you could, you know, read a book. And that way you're not shutting out your surroundings like wearing headphones does.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:19 pm

I think for MKVs, the player needs a more powerful processor to deal with the higher resolutions, file sizes and subtitles, which is why in low-cost/quality players playback is jerky.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:53 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:I think for MKVs, the player needs a more powerful processor to deal with the higher resolutions, file sizes and subtitles, which is why in low-cost/quality players playback is jerky.

MKV is nothing but a container format. It has no control over the audio/video codec and bitrate that you put into the container.

I was more referring to the typical MKV's feature set, like advanced soft-subtitles.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Return to “Anime and Manga”