Administrator
Administrator

Imaishi joins new start-up animation studio

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:34 pm

No longer just a rumour --

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/ ... hes-studio
Animator Masahiko Otsuka reported in a Friday Twitter post that he, director Hiroyuki Imaishi, and others have established a new studio.
Both animators have not been listed on Gainax's staff pages since at least this past summer.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Seems like people are (still) freaking out whether or not this is the end of Gainax.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:14 pm

So not only did bunch of talented people leave to work on Idolmaster anime (damn fanatics, that game is dangerous :lol: ) now GAINAX lost their number one new generation talent and long time, important veteran like Masahiko Otsura?

This ain't good man

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:34 pm

You gotta admit, it looks like a lot of Gainax's most talented are jumping ship.

But Gainax is no longer the small start up company for artists to express themselves like they were back in the 80s & 90s. They're a legitimate animation studio with millions in revenue (or at least Eva merchandise).

Honestly, I haven't LIKED anything by Gainax 2.0 (the work post Anno & Tsurumaki) except the great works of Imaishii. If Gainax wants to simply keep making Shikabane Hime's & whatever that Book Reading anime is then fine by me. But it's not the Gainax I fell for.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:37 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Honestly, I haven't LIKED anything by Gainax 2.0 (the work post Anno & Tsurumaki) except the great works of Imaishii. If Gainax wants to simply keep making Shikabane Hime's & whatever that Book Reading anime is then fine by me. But it's not the Gainax I fell for.

The "adaptation GAINAX" is always viewed as GAINAX-lite, even by themselves. GAINAX's brilliance has always been their originals (well, Kare Kano under Anno's direction was brilliant too) and that hasn't really changed, looking at Gurren Lagann and PSG...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:45 am

Now this has real promise. But I am assuming Imaishi won't be doing much (or any) animation for GAINAX anymore, which will drag the companys' net awesomeness down considerably.

Now, who's keeping Yoh Yoshinari? And, of course, how will this affect khara?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:17 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Oct 07, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm a big fan of Imaishi, and while on one hand I'm glad he's branching out and will hopefully give the industry a kick in the pants, on the other hand... I still want Panty & Stocking season 2, dammit!! :(

And, wait, Tsurumaki left too? When did this happen?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:03 pm

Makes me wonder if there are any of the original members from the mid 80s left at Gainax.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:42 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Makes me wonder if there are any of the original members from the mid 80s left at Gainax.
There's Yamaga. There's aaaaalways Yamaga.

Anime News Network wrote:The new studio is currently recruiting new staff. The website notes that three-month interns will receive a monthly salary of 150,000 yen (about US$1,950), and regular employees will receive a monthly salary of 180,000 yen (about US$2,340). Applicants must be under 25 years old, have good communication skills, be proficient in Mircrosoft Excel and Adobe Photoshop, and must have a driver's license.
I thought Japan's animation industry paid notoriously little. What's going on here?

I'd consider applying if not for the "good communication skills" part, on account of the near complete lack of knowledge of conversational Japanese. I wonder if I could learn enough to have "good communication skills" by the time I turn 25.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:43 pm

EDIT: Okay I was wrong about this. He definitely wasn't one of the founding members though.
Last edited by gatotsu911 on Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:58 pm

But he did animation for Neon Genesis Evangelion...

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:29 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:But he did animation for Neon Genesis Evangelion...

A lot of people did animation for Evangelion. (Seriously, practically every good anime director to pop up in the last 15 years had some form of involvement in Eva.) I'm not saying I couldn't be wrong about Tsurumaki, but his directorial debut (Dead Leaves, a personal favorite of mine) was as far as I'm aware done independantly of Gainax.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sat Oct 08, 2011 1:37 pm

He didn't direct until Dead Leaves, but he did work at GAINAX at as an animator.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:29 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:But Imaishi was new blood anyway. Ome of the company's best new talents, for sure, but still new. He only joined them in the mid-2000s, I believe.

He joined around Eva time and Kare Kano featured already some of his very distinctive key animation. He was also behind ep 19

Imaishi has been there for a long, long time and his main talents have always been in animation.

IIRC his key animation for Re:Cutey Honey OVA made Anno cry as it made old Hideaki think there still might be a future for Japanese animation, seriously

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:35 pm

Imaishi is a genius. So glad to hear he's going to have his own studio. As much as I'd love a Panty & Stocking Season 2 really I just want Imaishi to use his studio to create new & weird work. Not to repeat himself.

Studio TRIGGER. I love it already.

And yeah... I don't think there's any directors left at Gainax that I actually like.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:11 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:He joined around Eva time and Kare Kano featured already some of his very distinctive key animation. He was also behind ep 19

So he was responsible for coloring all of the episodes in colored pencils?

Wow... with comments like this, you might as well label him the Bob Clampett of anime then.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:40 am

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:There's Yamaga. There's aaaaalways Yamaga.

Yamaga is dead to me.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:34 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:Yamaga is dead to me.

Wut? Abenobashi was rad.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:43 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Wut? Abenobashi was rad.

and he also ruined it with one of the worst endings ever that completely ruined it all

Return to “Studio Trigger”