Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

What anime are you watching right now? Sep2011-May2012

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:40 am

Carrying on from

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Watched Kami-sama no Memo-chou. This episode actually turn out to be great, much to my surprise. I loved what Alice said to the guy (so deliciously vindictive), and I also enjoyed Narumi's fighting skills and the rooftop conversation at the very end. If there was one sour note in this episode it was Narumi's plan. There were better ways to get to the hideout. All and all a great final episode.

As much as I enjoyed the final, it doesn't change my opinion of this show. It was very mediocre overall. Much of the time they weren't even trying, which is a real shame considering how strong the last case was. More then anything I think I'll remember this show as something that could have been great but was doomed by its own apathy. It's sad how many shows fall into this category.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:59 am

Umm, I was watching some ef~ a tale of memories, but why Sep 11?

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:07 am

Because it's September 2011?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:36 am

Oh.
I thought that he meant the 11th of September.
My bad.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:03 am

Last night I finished FMA Brotherhood and it ended a hell of a lot better than the first series. Glad I watched this overall.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:07 am

The ending for fma brotherhood was a more mangatastic ending and the manga was great imo. I really did not like the original ending it was a little to sad for my taste
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:38 am

Just saw the final episode of Hanasaku Iroha.

I can´t quite say that I liked the ending, but I´m definitely going to miss it a lot.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:04 pm

Watched Hanasaku Iroha and Dantalian no Shoka.

HI ended up being yet another show with a good ending I wasn't expecting. The ending didn't do anything special, just took ordinary events and polished them to a high shine, which has always been this shows strength. I'm a little sad it's over.

I'd rank the series as being a little above average. It had a lot of episodes, but just like Kami-sama no Memo-chou and too many other shows to count it spent much of it's run playing it safe and not really trying. With how good certain parts of it were it could really have been something. Such a shame...

Dantalian no Shoka was great, and proved yet again what a huge mistake this series has made in its choice of leads. Once again the new girl in red and the pilot were leagues better then the MCs. Why they thought a boring guy and a empty husk would make good leads will be forever beyond me.

Best part was definitely the girl in red's first appearance. The music. The moonlight shining through the windows. The way she spoke and carried herself. All of this and more made this the clear stand-out scene in this episode. I really hope she shows up again.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby Spud » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Finally got around to watching some anime. School, friends, and some work has got in the way of everything but it's not a big deal.
Finally got around to watching the rest of Honey and Clover II. I honestly wasn't expecting it go in that direction but it pulled it off well. Even when it the plot took its more serious turn it was still able to keep its funny and joking attitude. I'm actually happy with the way this one turned out.

One of my top anime's 10/10
Thank you for recommending it Oz
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:07 am

Just watched Episode 36 of Revolutionary Girl Utena... and it needs to hurry up with itself. Yeah stuff is happening... I really liked the pace from episodes 26-33, episodes 35-36 have the pace of still air... I hope that is how other people felt. I am starting to suspect there may be no significant mindfuck sequence in this series...
Voluntary Illusion.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Winter Sonata

Postby symbv » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:14 am

Korean Anime "Winter Sonata" -- watched up till ep.15 now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter_Sonata

Based on a real life Korean TV drama which is the epitome of sentimental love story. It effectively started the "Korean boom" in Japan by itself alone. The Korean OP is better known in Japan than many pop songs in Japan. It later got its anime adaptation and the seiyuu are all the actual actors/acttresses from the original real life TV series.

Anime OP
http://youtu.be/SSlw2ZIIKec

RL drama OP
http://youtu.be/EhSGVkqfAVs

OP in full (music only)
http://youtu.be/HOH4JygvYbA

Trailer with English sub (video quality so-so though)
http://youtu.be/JnBp_Kc03bU
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:14 pm

Squid Girl 2, looks like it continued right where it left off from the first season.

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Final Messenger » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm

As part of my stay in mecha rehab I have been watching some kids anime.

The first one is yugioh 5ds (rewatching). Overall I would not call 5ds a kids anime as it can get very dark at times but I have to throw it into that category because of what 4kids did to the dub (although I watched it in Japanese). Anyway 5ds is actually a pretty good show. If you can get past the whole card games on motorbikes thing you have a show that has a good plot, great monster designs (for the most part) over all well voiced cast (yeager’s voice can get really annoying though), and a great sound track that has one of my favourite reoccurring insert songs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n4okkWLdLA (although it appears late in the series). Yugioh 5ds got me back it to the yugioh card game for a little while cause I liked the show so much (then I saw the first episode of yugioh zexal and dropped the card game)
Score: 8/10

The next thing I just finished was bakugan new verstroia. Overall the show was decent. There were some parts where I did not like it a lot but there were a few things that kept me watching. 1 was the char clone Spectra Phantom (he kept the show intresting). 2 a lot of the fights where fun to watch. 3 I loved the opening http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrK0r9yoPlk (even though I have no idea what they are singing I could not find a subbed opening). Unfortunately I was only able to watch the dub as the sub is nigh impossible to find. Bakugan new vestroia has odd origins when the original bakugan ended it stopped in Japan and they did not request a sequel series; however when it came over here to the west it became mega popular with kids. So to continue milking the cash cow teletoon and the cartoon network ordered a sequel series (this time however the writers where from the west). Then what shocks me even more is Japan is now dubbing the series. Japan is currently on season 3 gundalian invaders while here in the west we are at season 4 mechtanium surge (season three was crap and I did not brother to watch it all, I may watch season 4 because Spectra is back in season 4). I found that turn of events quite interesting I have never heared of Japan dubbing a anime that they originally made before.

Score: 6.5/10

I also finished watching the original pretty cure. Over all I liked it more than I thought I would. It had a decent plot and I enjoyed the romance. I was not a fan of some of the cg though but I got over that. Also I thought they used the transformation sequences too much. But overall it was a solid show

Score 7/10

Next I’m going to watch one of the three that Tines suggested and I may check out this puella magi madoka magica that everyone is talking about.
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:14 pm

A couple of shows finished recently: Kamisama Dolls was an ok show, it could have been a lot more serious but I didn't mind, looks like their set-up for another season. Double-J was kind of a let down, the jokes just weren't as funny as Cro High. Nichijou was a fun show, I wouldn't mind if they made more at some point. Tiger Bunny was kind of a let down as well, though I still really like the premise, some of the direction and dialogue was just beyond awkward. Sacred Seven picked up towards the end but it didn't make it any better than an average affair. While this season of Natsume seemed a little weaker than previous seasons, the ending made up for it.

Also finially got through the 4 episodes of Ghost Talker's Daydream, an OVA from 2004-ish about a by-day-S&M girl who could communicate with ghosts and spirits. There was a scene that was almost a spitting image of this since the main character had red eyes and pale skin/hair.

Aiko Heiwa
Salt 'n' Genki
Salt 'n' Genki

Postby Aiko Heiwa » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Squid Girl 2.

no one told me this started already

fgsfds
This signature officially sponsored by The Holy Church of Aiko Heiwa® since 2 December 2011

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Watched Kamisama Dolls. Pretty good final episode, if a little anticlimactic. I was hoping for a longer fight but oh well.

This series turn out pretty good. Which was a surprise considering I hated it at first. It wasn't prefect by any means (too much comedy, too many characters for so few episodes, the way they ruined the male twin), but for the most part things worked out for the best. If there's ever a second season I'll definitely watch it.
Last edited by child of Lilith on Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:35 pm

watching Original gundam right now going to skip char's counter attack though.

@child of Lilith is that the one with the dead chick in the elevator?
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:43 pm

View Original Postbobbyfischer's ghost wrote: @child of Lilith is that the one with the dead chick in the elevator?
I don't think so. I don't recall there ever being a scene like that.

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 pm

@Child of Lilith
my mistake it was a dead guy in episode one.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:55 pm

Oh. Now I think I know what you're talking about. One of Aki's many victims.

Return to “Old Stickies”