Would Evangelion work as a Slice of Life series?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Would Evangelion work as a Slice of Life series?

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:42 pm

While the character interaction is very well done, I would like to know if Eva can work without the mecah and just focus on the characters?

I may had answered my own question but Evangelion is a mecha and it may not work to well without all the mecha or the mystery. Even if they rmeovie the mechas, Rei, the Angels and Instrumentality, would only be left with a bunch of characters you might not evne care about. Even so, would it really work out if they focus on the characters.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

CJD
Banned

Re: Would Evangelion work as a Slice of Life series?

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:09 pm

View Original PostGAP wrote:While the character interaction is very well done, I would like to know if Eva can work without the mecah and just focus on the characters?

I may had answered my own question but Evangelion is a mecha and it may not work to well without all the mecha or the mystery. Even if they rmeovie the mechas, Rei, the Angels and Instrumentality, would only be left with a bunch of characters you might not evne care about. Even so, would it really work out if they focus on the characters.

Would Eva work without the mech's? Yes, it could work fine. Plenty of "modern setting" anime do mystery quite well. It would just need to develop another vehicle to drive the plot.

Would Eva work without the mystery? I don't think so. Personally I don't like SoL anything, so I'd definitely not enjoy Eva if it lacked the mystery.

SaVaGe
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby SaVaGe » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:23 pm

When it comes to mechas, I'm not so sure. I don't know how the series would develop the major maternity motif without Evas. Unless they attach the characters' mothers' souls to something like cars..which would basically be the same thing.
I'm SaVaGe and I am an Evaholic

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:42 pm

I think the Rei with toast was prove enough.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:53 pm

In before 'Shinji Ikari Raising Project' Manga
Voluntary Illusion.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:59 pm

An Evangelion mystery fanfiction would be pretty cool, featuring Kaji as a main character.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:13 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:In before 'Shinji Ikari Raising Project' Manga

Exactly, I was actually wondering what is the point of this thread.
View Original PostGAP wrote:Even if they rmeovie the mechas, Rei, the Angels and Instrumentality, would only be left with a bunch of characters you might not evne care about.

Not at all, many of us care even too much about those characters; unless you're reasoning hypothetically, something around the lines "let's suppose that Eva was a slice of life show to begin with", was this your point? Effectively I'm unsure about it, maybe I would like it but of course it hardly would be the same kind of relation; I like "slice of life" versions of NGE exactly because NGE was heavily character driven but it wasn't easy with its characters, it's a reaction to it.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:17 pm

It really depends on what you mean by "slice of life." If the show only just focused on the characters, their interactions, and their psychology, then yes, I can see it working, providing there's a way for the characters to react to each other and finding some kind of conflict to work on (and it's not difficult; you'll be surprised on many American cartoons can do this). If by "slice by life", you mean a high school setting with vanilla characterizations, then that's...debatable.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Korgan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Korgan » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:21 am

That new Campus Apocalypse manga also has some SoL traits. Pretty enjoyable if you ask me.
"Why should things be easy to understand?"
-Thomas Pynchon, whose works I've never actually read

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Meh. B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:49 am

Shame about the ending though, so many things left unresolved.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:24 am

@Campus Apocalypse:
It felt a tad rushed/cut short at the End, even tough it was so awesome. Maybe the author was told to wrap stuff up because it wasn't popular enough, or they went out of ideas. *how* the plot was resolved was epic, tough. It had some very good scenes that, with slight adjustations for the differences in setting, might as well fit into the original show.

@Topic:
I would personally miss the Sci/Fi stuff, but I think it would work.
Sure, you'd have to adjust things a bit (Kyoko might just have had some normal mental illness, Yui has to kick the bucket a normal way etc, The NERV ppl could simply be the staff at the school, Asuka would get some regular rape instead of mental one, instead of her EVA skills, she could obsess over her school grades/popularity, Rei can't be a clone, so you have to make up a different backstory for her - A way for her to wind up with her personality would be for her to have been neglected at some orphanage or spent a long time being treated at a hospital (both of those can screw up emotional developement if no one pays proper attention to the kids and would provide a reason for why Shinji and Rei would be unfamiliar with each other) and later taken in by Gendo... wich would even let the option to reveal that she's actually somehow related to Yui.) but i say it would technically work.
I mean, most ppl watch EVA for the deep, complex Characterizations and not for the mecha battles and the character's simple everyday interactions with each other take up a very significant portion of the show. It's really a comming-of-age story with a bit of philosophic contemplations here and there,and perhaps a bit of a social commentary or romance... the mechs a just a shiny plot device to make it look interesting that could technically be replaced by another.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:59 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:In before 'Shinji Ikari Raising Project' Manga

That's not slice of life, really. That's slice of otaku pretend fantasy life.

I've said before that an Eva spinoff written like Seinfeld would be perfect. The characters have so much inherent humor in them that they really only need to be exaggerated the tiniest amount for this to work, and really, the more they resemble the real deal the funnier it'll be.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Two words : Two Salarymen.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I was kind of expectign somehtign where even the adult characters get soem development.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”