Does it matter the order I watch this series??

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FukItorWat
Embryo

Does it matter the order I watch this series??

•      
  •      

Postby FukItorWat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:10 pm

I'm new to it and am curious if it matters weather I watch the rebuild series before the actual anime? Does it?

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Not really. My mom wacthed 1.11 and 2.22 and has never seen the original series and now she's hooked. If you want some background info on certain elements that'll be present in Rebuild, then go ahead. Just be sure to visit the original sometime, cause without it there would be no Rebuild.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:28 pm

nah, it's a separate story that happens to have a lot of similar things going on... sort of like the many Tenchi Muyo series.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Draconis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Draconis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 pm

If you're gonna watch both, I'd watch the original plus EOE first. If you don't, you're eyes will bleed after seeing the vast visual superiority of 1.11 and 2.22.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:31 am

View Original PostDraconis wrote:If you're gonna watch both, I'd watch the original plus EOE first. If you don't, you're eyes will bleed after seeing the vast visual superiority of 1.11 and 2.22.

But EoE is quite a bit better looking than both 1.11 and 2.22

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:36 am

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:But EoE is quite a bit better looking than both 1.11 and 2.22

Your opinion.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:41 am

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Your opinion.

Fact.

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:44 am

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:Fact.

BS, already discussed and probably off-topic.
EDIT: just to avoid misunderstandings, I'm only referring to the claim that his opinion is actually a fact, I respect his opinion but the definition of "visually impressive" is subjective, I really don't believe that you can pretend that others will agree with you because you're talking about "facts" rather than mere opinions.

More on topic, I think that the order does matter, I've liked Rebuild because I was disappointed in NGE and especially EoE, I'm interested in Kaworu in Rebuild only because I know him from NGE and I like NME's Rei because I wanted her to be like this in NGE. But this is only my experience.
Last edited by Hyper Shinchan on Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:47 am

:stir:

Draconis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Draconis » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:10 am

View Original PostNonoriri wrote:But EoE is quite a bit better looking than both 1.11 and 2.22

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:24 am

The End of Evangelion is a film with no HD releases that looks like it was cobbled together.

1.11 is an HD film that looks like it was cobbled together.

2.22 is an HD film with a consistent visual quality.

While I will agree, EoE is an amazing film, and there are some designs and visuals that are gorgeous, the new films are produced with a higher level of quality.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 am

It's about not wanting to give the new series credit for anything, that's all. "Rebuild couldn't possibly have improved upon the visuals of 1997! It's an abomination that ruined Evangelion and..." etc. etc. Of course EOE couldn't have pulled off the ending of 1.11, or even the Yamashita sequence in 2.22.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:26 am

If you plan to watch both shortly after one another, watch the TV series first. If you plan of having a long waiting period between the two, then watch whatever you want first. If you're only gonna watch either one or the other for now, well, the original TV series is already finished. So you would have no long waiting periods before the release of the next part of the story. So it really depends on why you're watching it.

As for visual differences, NGE (the TV series) has some bold lighting techniques, especially in Episode 16 when Rei and Asuka argue. But these techniques seem to mainly be used to distract from the limited animation quality. (The rest of the series can't beat Episode 1 & 2's fluid animation quality until The End of Evangelion, the film that closes the Director's Cut TV series. Part of the series are still well animated, but not to that extent.)

EoE and NME (the "New Movie Editions") are both spectacular to watch. The animation is so good in EoE that the use of CGI in NME merely polishes up the quality and lighting effects here and there and allows for dynamic camera movements. There still are bold lighting choices in NME, but they're centered around the Eva fights more than they are around the characters themselves. (Though Shinji's inner monologues still have that odd and mysterious golden lighting scheme around them.)

But like Eva Monkey said, the quality of the EoE has not reached an HD disc release yet, not even in Japan. And the DVD copy that was brought over to the States is currently out-of-print, really expensive, and looks like it was rendered through Windows Movie Maker. The attack on the quality is less noticeable if you watch it on a CRT TV model (the heavy box-shaped televisions rather than LCD flat-screens), but they are still there.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Does it matter the order I watch this series??

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:41 am

View Original PostFukItorWat wrote:I'm new to it and am curious if it matters weather I watch the rebuild series before the actual anime? Does it?

It's preferably to watch the original series first, because not only is it complete, but it's also the root of the entire Evangelion franchise/universe.

Watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, then The End of Evangelion, and then 1.11 and 2.22. I recommend taking your time, the cliffhanger at the end of 2.22 is pretty epic.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:49 am

or u could read the manga as well

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Does it matter the order I watch this series??

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:55 am

Yeah, if you really wanna see what all of the fuss is about and why most of us are Eva fans, watch the TV series first. If you want to be really specific about it, watch the OA version of the episodes first without watching the closing film. Then re-watch them with the Director's Cut versions of the episodes and go onto Death & Rebirth then The End of Evangelion.

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, then The End of Evangelion, and then 1.11 and 2.22. I recommend taking your time, the cliffhanger at the end of 2.22 is pretty epic.

If you take enough of your time, the rest of the NME films might be completed by the time you finally get around to 2.22. :hahaha:

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:21 am

Trolling attempt detected.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:48 pm

View Original Postjuaxoo wrote:or u could read the manga as well

There's three problems there. 1) It's not finished. 2) It's partially out of print. And 3) While the manga is considered separate but equal, Evangelion was original conceived as a television series, so the television series should still be the starting point. I like the manga, but I still consider it supplemental from a consumption standpoint.

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:29 pm

I really think watching the TV series + EoE should be manditory before getting into Rebuild. Without the underpinning of the original anime, the references that Rebuild makes to the TV series go unnoticed (for example the similarities and differences between the ending of 2.22 and Episode 19.)

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:18 am

The only issue about rebuild's quality might be the design of the evas in some parts of the movie, for exemple unit 02's arrival.

It looks kinda grotesque. So I don't think it's very consistant, unlike EoE.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”