The Two Names of Angels That I Could Find Meanings To

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Yahama
Banned

The Two Names of Angels That I Could Find Meanings To

•      
  •      

Postby Yahama » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:29 am

Sachiel (The Covering of God)

Gagiel (The Angel Associated With Fish)
That is why I must be the man that shouted love at the heart of the world.

Forever knowing that there will be those who do not love me.

CJD
Banned

Re: The Two Names of Angels That I Could Find Meanings To

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:04 pm

View Original PostYahama wrote:Sachiel (The Covering of God)

Gagiel (The Angel Associated With Fish)

Aren't they all named after biblical angels?

Ramiel means "thunder of God"[1] from the Hebrew elements ra'am and El, "God".

Adam is obvious

Lilith
Sachiel
Shamshel, allegedly named after the angel charged with guarding the entrance to the Garden of Eden, but the source is in Japanese

I could go on but I'm pretty sure they're all named that way. I dunno how Shamshel's design fits with his namesake, but Gaghiel is obvious, as is Adam, Lilith, and Ramiel being the "Thunder of God" is pretty obvious too, since his beam/drill is so powerful.

Braulio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Braulio » Sun Jul 17, 2011 4:24 pm

Sachiel: 'The covering of God' A querubin that lives in the first level of Heaven
Samshiel: 'Powerful Sun of God', it was part of The Grigori, also known as The Guardians and they were 200 angels, God send him to teach the man the signs of the Sun. At the end, The Grigori ended being expelled due to the fact that they were fornicating with the daughters of Adam and Eve
Ramiel: 'Fire of God' also known as Uriel, he is the angel of Thunder and the one in charge of guiding the souls that will be judged in the end of the world. As Uriel, he is one of the main Archangels and he was the one that warn Noel of the Great Flood.
Gaghiel: 'Savant Beast of God' The guardian of the Sixth Heaven.
Israfel: 'The Turned On (El Encendido)' One of the few that are taked from the Islamic mythology, he is the Angel of the Sky and the Music. He has the role of waking up the dead with his trumped when the Final Judgement began.
Sandalphon: 'The Enemy Hidden in the House of Caves' He was the prophet Elias, refered as The Tall Angel by Moises.
Matarael: 'The Enchantor Price' or 'The Premonition of God' He is the angel of the rain.
Sahaquiel: 'Witness of God' The guardian of Heaven, also known as Tzachquiel.
Iruel: 'The Vigilant of the City', also known as Yroel, resides in the Fifth Heaven.
Leliel: 'The Jaw of God', also known as The Angel of the Night. He is one of the most deceptive angels, his power resides in using a bait, an image of himself dressed in white, but his true self hides in his own shadow.
Bardiel: The Humble Son of God' Moslty associated with the thunders and storms, he is considered as The Angel of Acclamation. He is the prince of the Third Sky and the one that will guide the destiny of the World.
Zuruel: 'The Plaguing Force of God' or 'The Arm of God' , he is part of the 5 liders of the group of The Princedoms, name of the angels of the Seventh Choir. He is in charge of protecting large aglomerations of people, it is said that he helped David against Goliath.
Arael. 'Light of God', 'Prince of Birds' and 'The Governor of the Winds' An Archangel.
Armisael: 'Mountain of the Judgment of God' He is the Angel of the Womb, his function is to take care of the no-born and assure a good birth.
Tabris: The Angel of the Sixth Hour, he is tha Angel of the moment of the death of Jesus.
:freud:
'The only good thing that the change of Asuka's last name in the new movies brought is that now we can identify the n00bs from the true fans'
Conclusion in a reunion of a bunch of drunk, Eva fans

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:40 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Aren't they all named after biblical angels?

Not a single one.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Draconis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Draconis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 am

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Not a single one.

This.

Legendary
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Legendary » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:09 am

Actually NOT QUITE. Ramiel and Sahaquiel are both in Enoch, which is apocryphal but can still count, I think, as "Bible" for our purposes. Israfel is mentioned in the Qur'an, so there's that too.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:37 am

View Original PostLegendary wrote:Actually NOT QUITE. Ramiel and Sahaquiel are both in Enoch, which is apocryphal but can still count, I think, as "Bible" for our purposes. Israfel is mentioned in the Qur'an, so there's that too.

Yea sorry, by "Bible" I meant "Judeo-Christian Texts". The complexities of theology were never my thing. Am I mistaken in they're all named after Judeo-Christian (And consequently Muslim if we're going to split hairs) angels? Or were some of the names 100% named up?

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:23 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Yea sorry, by "Bible" I meant "Judeo-Christian Texts". The complexities of theology were never my thing. Am I mistaken in they're all named after Judeo-Christian (And consequently Muslim if we're going to split hairs) angels? Or were some of the names 100% named up?

In that case, all except Adam, Lilith and the Lilin are named after angels. Adam was a man, Lilith was a dæmon, the Lilin were a race of dæmons.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:In that case, all except Adam, Lilith and the Lilin are named after angels. Adam was a man, Lilith was a dæmon, the Lilin were a race of dæmons.

Well, Lilith is only a demon in one interpretation. In another, Lilith was Adam's first wife. She refused to submit as inferior to Adam, and left to mate with angel. Her children from this mating were the Lilin (maybe demons, I don't know whether that classifies as demons, but I don't think the nephilim were demons, I could be wrong)

When she refused to return to Eden, God told her 100 of her children would die every day.

The above fits quite well with Lilith and Lilim in Eva, but as we know, the christian imagery was chosen because it was 'different'.

They must of done some research on this stuff though, even if they don't want to admit it. I don't contest that it has little (to no) meaning overall, but the fate of the Lilin fits nicely with the concept of the "Fruit of Knowledge" and it's attributes (among them that we are much weaker than the angels, who have the "Fruit of Life").

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:33 pm

The earliest incarnation of Lilith was a child killing dæmon. It wasn't until later that she became Adam's first wife.
/hj

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:37 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:The earliest incarnation of Lilith was a child killing dæmon. It wasn't until later that she became Adam's first wife.

I'm not going to argue which religious story is "the truth", it's pointless, I'm just giving the other, possibly relevant, tale.

Braulio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Braulio » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:25 pm

CJD Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:12 pm Post subject:

but I don't think the nephilim were demons, I could be wrong)

The Nephilim are he sons of The Griogri, a group of 200 angels that were sent to show to the enlight the son of Adam and Eve, they were expelled because they fornicated with the daugthers. By the way, Samshiel is one of them.
'The only good thing that the change of Asuka's last name in the new movies brought is that now we can identify the n00bs from the true fans'

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:51 pm

View Original PostBraulio wrote:The Nephilim are he sons of The Griogri, a group of 200 angels that were sent to show to the enlight the son of Adam and Eve, they were expelled because they fornicated with the daugthers. By the way, Samshiel is one of them.

Yes, but were they called or considered "Demons"? Essentially, I was covering my *** before someone quotes some obscure line from the texts referring to nephilim as "demons" and then using that as justification that the Lilin were demons (being half breeds) and insinuating that my post was wrong.

Braulio
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Braulio » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:44 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Yes, but were they called or considered "Demons"? Essentially, I was covering my *** before someone quotes some obscure line from the texts referring to nephilim as "demons" and then using that as justification that the Lilin were demons (being half breeds) and insinuating that my post was wrong.

If they are sons of some goddamned fallen angels, they will be goddamned f*cking deamons
Source: My theology teacher
PS: To medieval christians, Lilith and the Lilims were the cause of wet dreams, due to their need of sperm. Some scholars consider Lilith as the genesis of the seccubus

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:22 pm

Dæmon =/= fallen angel. This idea didn't come into being until the Middle Ages. From the point of view of a Jew back in the time this story was written, the Nephilim weren't dæmons.
/hj

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:05 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:They must of done some research on this stuff though, even if they don't want to admit it. I don't contest that it has little (to no) meaning overall, but the fate of the Lilin fits nicely with the concept of the "Fruit of Knowledge" and it's attributes (among them that we are much weaker than the angels, who have the "Fruit of Life").

It probably roughly corresponds to the amount of research done for the ship names used for the human characters. The fates of those vessels inform their respective characters' personalities in interesting ways, and the same probably holds true for the Angels and their namesakes.

Which is to say it's fun and interesting and all, but there's not much to it beyond that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Draconis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Draconis » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:51 pm

View Original PostCJD wrote:Well, Lilith is only a demon in one interpretation. In another, Lilith was Adam's first wife. She refused to submit as inferior to Adam, and left to mate with angel. Her children from this mating were the Lilin (maybe demons, I don't know whether that classifies as demons, but I don't think the nephilim were demons, I could be wrong)

When she refused to return to Eden, God told her 100 of her children would die every day.

The above fits quite well with Lilith and Lilim in Eva, but as we know, the christian imagery was chosen because it was 'different'.

They must of done some research on this stuff though, even if they don't want to admit it. I don't contest that it has little (to no) meaning overall, but the fate of the Lilin fits nicely with the concept of the "Fruit of Knowledge" and it's attributes (among them that we are much weaker than the angels, who have the "Fruit of Life").

View Original PostBraulio wrote:The Nephilim are he sons of The Griogri, a group of 200 angels that were sent to show to the enlight the son of Adam and Eve, they were expelled because they fornicated with the daugthers. By the way, Samshiel is one of them.

Man, what are you guys smoking? I want some.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:44 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:It probably roughly corresponds to the amount of research done for the ship names used for the human characters. The fates of those vessels inform their respective characters' personalities in interesting ways, and the same probably holds true for the Angels and their namesakes.

Which is to say it's fun and interesting and all, but there's not much to it beyond that.

Yea, but don't forget, this was before we had the internet in mass, and long before things like Wikipedia existed. 10 minutes of research now is like 2 hours of research in the 90's.

View Original PostDraconis wrote:Man, what are you guys smoking? I want some.

Believe it or not, current religions don't just stop at all mighty deities, they have whole mythologies that compare to the likes of Rome and Greece. Sad fact is, go up to 10 "Devout Christians" and I'd wager 9 of them wouldn't know who Lilith is at all, or what/who the nephilim were

I just get hung up on all the stuff like "What are the books of the Bible?" or what's considered canon and what isn't.

Draconis
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Draconis » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:17 am

View Original PostCJD wrote:Believe it or not, current religions don't just stop at all mighty deities, they have whole mythologies that compare to the likes of Rome and Greece. Sad fact is, go up to 10 "Devout Christians" and I'd wager 9 of them wouldn't know who Lilith is at all, or what/who the nephilim were

I just get hung up on all the stuff like "What are the books of the Bible?" or what's considered canon and what isn't.

Yeah, I know. But if you're talking about the actual, Christian Bible (the one with 66 books, like http://www.amazon.com/King-James-Version-Bible-Burgundy/dp/0718015592/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311052386&sr=8-3) which only includes the God-inspired Word and nothing else, nothing you said makes any sense whatsoever. It'd probably be best to specify what other [garbage *cough*] books or different "versions" of the "Bible" you're talking about.

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:01 am

View Original PostDraconis wrote:Yeah, I know. But if you're talking about the actual, Christian Bible (the one with 66 books, like http://www.amazon.com/King-James-Version-Bible-Burgundy/dp/0718015592/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1311052386&sr=8-3) which only includes the God-inspired Word and nothing else, nothing you said makes any sense whatsoever. It'd probably be best to specify what other [garbage *cough*] books or different "versions" of the "Bible" you're talking about.

Hense my comment that I don't "Get" nor "bother" with that stuff.

Christianity, like all written works, has a "canon" and a "non canon". Essentially, a long long time ago, big wigs sat down and decided what was "canon" and what wasn't. This is the largest factor that differentiates the various sects of Christianity, as some place more weight on certain works than others.

The "Bible" is not the sole Christian work, nor is it the only one with historical merit. The "Bible" is just what a bunch of higher ups in the past thought was accurate, possessed merit of being the word of god, or (some would say) fit their personal beliefs and thus furthered their agendas.

On top of that, I'm not going to cite every reference when it's so convoluted and interpretive, if you're curious you can google it, but the story of the Nephilim, Lilith, and the Lilin are not "garbage".

On top of that, what you most likely associate with the Bible is an English translation of it, which is not to be taken as 100% accurate. Compare it to an English dub of an anime. It will get the general story right, but dialogue, emphasis, and meaning may go through alterations for many different reasons.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”