Recent Hauls [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Recent Hauls [2]

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:01 am

Continued from

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:Monkey, the swordless glitch is awesome. It lets you use any item while riding your horse. It doesn't detract from the quality at all, it enhances the fun. You only lose your sword permanently if you save during the fight with Ganon, so if you were going to exploit this, you'd have already finished the game, and made a back-up save.

I remember when I was just a boy and I only had the grey cart. I would spend hours on the Odyssey of Hyrule reading about all of these awesome glitches, dreaming of the day when I could get the gold cartridge so I could try them. I didn't actually get to until just a few years ago.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:16 pm

Not quite a single haul since half of these were pre-orders from different sites, but whatever. They all came in within the last week anyway.

SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/814/1007244v.jpg/]Image[/URL]

This equals "July book order + animu preorders" haul

Sora no Woto & Galaxy Express 999 DVDs were among the things I've been most psyched for months, and they didn't disappoint. NIS' Katanagatari release is pretty weird, though. First, the packaging is enormous and cumbersome, but the artwork on it is beautiful. Secondly, the worries I'd had about the subtitles were only partially validated. Yeah, they translated it as "Keshla bringers" and "nevertheless, by that point you shall be torn asunder", but the ridiculous choice for the former doesn't appear that often and the latter isn't so bad. You can't turn off these fucking stupid karaoke subs, though. Oh well.

Books:
Concept of Irony - Kierkegaard
Unscientific Postscript to Philosophical Fragments in two volumes - Kierkegaard
Works of Love - Kierkegaard (to replace the Harper Perennial version I'd already read and accidentally destroyed part of)
Postmodernism, or, Culture Logic of Late Capitalism - Fredrick Jameson

BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

A Bride's Story Vol 1 - Kaoru Mori

SWEET JEZUS THIS ARTWORK!
THE BABES!
THE ADVENTURE!
THE STYLES!
THE CHINA!

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY

A Bride's Story Vol 1 - Kaoru Mori

SWEET JEZUS THIS ARTWORK!
THE BABES!
THE ADVENTURE!
THE STYLES!
THE CHINA!

Oh? This manga has official English translation? This is some really good taste. I wonder whether Mori's previous work "Emma" also got official translation?

THE CHINA ?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:26 pm

^Emma did see release over here, but it's all out of print. I'll start hunting (mostly affordable) volumes for that shortly, possibly as soon as next month. I already ordered the single-volume release of Shirley, but it'll be about another week or two before that arrives.

Vol 2 of A Bride's Story comes out over here this fall, I think. This is getting HC treatment for some reason, but I can't really complain. The only manga I'm used to reading with hardcovers are Tezuka's gekiga tomes.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:27 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:You can't turn off these fucking stupid karaoke subs

Wait, what? Please elaborate.

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:33 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Wait, what? Please elaborate.
Sorry, my bad. It wasn't karaoke, but they did needlessly translate the song that plays over the opening for the first episode, so the whole sequence with the castle burning down and Shichika's dad tearing shit up gets some wonderful blaring white text across the top of the screen. It only pissed me off because that sequence also has some dialogue in it, so you have text along the bottom, where I expect it, and a frivolous line along the top that obscures even more of the picture. God forbid they just translate the song in the copious art book that accompanied the release.

It wouldn't bother me so much if they were on a different subtitle track, but they're not.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:37 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:Sorry, my bad. It wasn't karaoke, but they did needlessly translate the song that plays over the opening for the first episode, so the whole sequence with the castle burning down and Shichika's dad tearing shit up gets some wonderful blaring white text across the top of the screen.

That doesn't sound good. What about the other insert songs?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:02 pm

Postmodernism, or, Culture Logic of Late Capitalism - Fredrick Jameson

I've been too busy with my moe animus to read this book though I've had it for months. SHAME ON ME :raincloud:

symbv, Emma has been released even here in Finland :)

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:05 pm

My new CDJapan order:

- Yuya Ishii's Sawako Decides on DVD
- Yumi Arai's Hikoukigumo album
- Perfume's Baby Cruising Love / Macaroni single (regular edition)
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Good to hear Kaoru Mori's works getting appreciated globally.

Still wonder what "the china" means...

Just for information, the vol.3 was out last month in Japan.

View Original PostXard wrote: symbv, Emma has been released even here in Finland :)

Would you say Finland have a thriving manga translation industry?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:10 am

It's surprisingly "big" in Finland. I've seen some manga being sold in pretty much every convenience store that has a decent selection of magazines. The amount of manga being translated and sold has certainly increased in a few years.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:45 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:That doesn't sound good. What about the other insert songs?
Not a problem from what I've seen. I haven't yet had a chance to watch episode 6 yet, but from what I recall, Katanagatari didn't have many insert songs anyway.

Also, Princess Hitei is now officially "Princess Denial." This does irk me. What were they thinking? I hadn't watched the fifth episode when I made my last post so I hadn't stumbled upon this particular gem of official subbing yet, but christ, I'd been hoping that what I'd read online hadn't been totally true.

Xard wrote:I've been too busy with my moe animus to read this book though I've had it for months. SHAME ON ME
SHAME ON YOU

I'll probably start reading it next week. It looks interesting, and this'll be my first excursion into Jameson's writing; hopefully he won't be as gleefully pill-popping and insane as the other postmodern intellectuals I've tripped on.

symbv wrote:Still wonder what "the china" means...
Would you rather I said "the Mongolia"?

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:19 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote: Would you rather I said "the Mongolia"?

I thought the locale is Central Asia, so perhaps Kazhakh or Uzbek ?
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:39 pm

View Original PostMerridian wrote:I hadn't watched the fifth episode when I made my last post so I hadn't stumbled upon this particular gem of official subbing yet, but christ, I'd been hoping that what I'd read online hadn't been totally true.

Thanks for the info. Let me know if you find any additional wankery in the first collection. I bought the same set (although it won't be delivered any time soon) and I want to know how badly I have been shafted.

In other news, my most recent haul is British as all hell:

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:11 am

Today I got:

The King of Limbs by Radiohead
Frances the Mute by The Mars Volta

and
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Campus Apocalypse Vol 4 by MingMing
Voluntary Illusion.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 2:44 pm

Recent consumer whore-dom:

I succumbed to Microsoft's free Xbox promotion by purchasing a new Toshiba Satelite. It nabbed me a free 4GB Xbox 360 S. As a result, I also purchased a 250 GB hard drive, and a transfer cable.

I also got a lot of about 40 NES and SNES games for $60. Some were crap, but I got a couple good games, like A link to the Past, Ducktales, Donkey Kong Classics, Super Return of the Jedi. Some of them weren't very clean, so I got some rubbing alcohol, an electric toothbrush, and a security bit tool to clean that shit up real nice.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:39 am

The before makes my skin crawl.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Uriel Septim VII
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Uriel Septim VII » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:07 am

The before looks like mold.

Got Civilization V during the Steam sale.
AVATAR-- Hedy Lamarr: actor, inventor of spread spectrum communications technology, and main villain of Blazing Saddles.

You know what, rip me off once, shame on me. But twice? I'm coming after you and taking back what's mine. --Billy Mays

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:08 am

Bought The Surprise of Haruhi Suzumiya Part 1 and 2 for only like 20 RMB for each.
Which is rougly 4 euros in total.
Light novels seem to be pretty popular here in Shanghai, they don`t sell them in normal bookstores, they`re sold at like Kiosk houses on busy streets alongside with newspapers and magazines and stuff.
The shop owner told me that it sells pretty well and had like a stack of them below the display table which I saw when she restocked the two books I bought lol.

I also bought a random "second" Miku pixiv collection artbook for 38.8 RMB which seems to be bogus.
I`m going to check when I come back.
The packaging looks very legit, but in China you never know about copyright and stuff.
They could`ve just like taken random pixiv pictures and printed it into a book :lol:
The print quality is okay, it`s just the size that bothers me.
It`s really really small.
Like only slightly bigger than the light novels, but 3 times thicker.
Eh.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:21 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:The before makes my skin crawl.

For real. It was definitely the worst of the lot. But that's what cotton swabs, isopropyl alcohol, and tender lovin care are for.

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”