Debate the quality of Rebuild here. [1]

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Debate the quality of Rebuild here.

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:59 pm

What do you think could be done to make Rebuild more entertaining for you personally? (I won't say better, because I like what they've done with it.)

Should the fights have less special attacks, and more gore? Should Shinji become a pathetic broken down shell of a boy at the end? Should the entire human race be wiped out AGAIN?

Thoughts?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

I love Eva 1.0

It was great, and by all means an excellent step in the Rebuild direction. And while the changing of the story and the characters and whatnot in Eva 2.0 didn't bother me, the validity of the entire thing did. Characters have less depth, fight scenes are blown WAY out of proportion (not too many, I like that they decided to buff up the action), I mean compared to Eva 1.0 the battle seem almost cartoonish (ironic?).

Asuka's name has changed, sweet, awesome, TOTALLY necessary.

Shinji is one small step away from fucking his own mother.

And for some reason, everything is WAY, MORE, SIMPLE.

While these may be minor things that set Eva 2.0 apart from the original series, they manage to culminate together (at least in my mind) to make the Rebuild series seem to be a raging EoE hater's fan fic brought to life. While it isn't terrible, or not even bad- it still just lacks that good 'ol Evangelion feel that I'm so used to. It's kind of heartbreaking, but interesting at the same time.

All I can do now is wait for the last two entries and hope this is all cleared up. And like so few of you out there, I really hope that somehow... Somewhere in the story, this will connect with the original Evangelion series and the End of Evangelion. I just can't bear the thought of two different series carrying the Evangelion name. Just seems wrong to me.

^^^
2 cents
The Fate of Destruction, is Also the Joy of Rebirth

Kaji has cute melons.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:15 pm

I'm personally happy with 1.0 and 2.0. My only complaint with 2.0 is that it needed some time given to Asuka's past* and/or what happens to her during the Bardiel's attack (eg, IS it an Arael-style mindrape or what?).

However, maybe 3.0 or a DVD-release of 2.0 will go into that so I'm not too concerned yet.

*And despite Asuka being Shinji-crazy compared to the original series, piloting is obviously still important to her, so that's fine I suppose.

Everything else I'm cool with, though errors-wise the 8th Angel (Saha) needs a rainbow added to it's death scene in the 2.0 DVD; all the other Angels have that but ver. :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:22 pm

I love Rebuild of Evangelion.
Last edited by Joseph the PRPD on Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheese wheel in the U.S. Coast Guard.

Mongoosedog
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Mongoosedog » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:28 pm

^ me too, i'm happy with how it is, and there are still 2 movies left so there is a lot of time for character developement yet. i have faith in Anno, it may turn into a masterpiece yet
I have no signature!

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:29 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm personally happy with 1.0 and 2.0. My only complaint with 2.0 is that it needed some time given to Asuka's past* and/or what happens to her during the Bardiel's attack (eg, IS it an Arael-style mindrape or what?).

However, maybe 3.0 or a DVD-release of 2.0 will go into that so I'm not too concerned yet.

*And despite Asuka being Shinji-crazy compared to the original series, piloting is obviously still important to her, so that's fine I suppose.

Everything else I'm cool with, though errors-wise the 8th Angel (Saha) needs a rainbow added to it's death scene in the 2.0 DVD; all the other Angels have that but ver. :sweatdrop:

A little more background on Asuka would be delightful. So far all we know is that she has always been alone... And by the looks of it and the way things are going, I doubt that she has a mother that hung herself this time around. There wasn't really anything hinting towards it in 2.0

Kaji has cute melons.

Lucretius
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Lucretius » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:36 pm

I think 2.0 would've been better if:

-Mari were written out entirely and Kaworu were introduced earlier instead. Unless Kaworu isn't going to play a big role in Shinji's life, he should've met the rest of the cast much earlier.

-Asuka had a lot more screen time. The Bardiel arc didn't have enough build-up.

-The Tunnel Angel were removed. Maybe even Sahaquiel. Five is too many for one film.

-Toji and Kensuke were limited to a couple cameos. That whole scene where Shinji has ice cream with them serves no purpose other than to say "Ha ha! Fooled you! Toji's not the pilot of Unit 03!"

-there was less Oedipal weirdness with Rei. I can't root for Shinji to get with a girl he barely spoke to in the original series. (Yeah, I know, different continuity, but...). This one really depends on how the last two movies turn out. If we get Last B, all is forgiven. :P

-Pointless aquarium scene were removed. Only significant bit is Shinji and Rei talking about fish tanks.

He shuddered a bit, remembering the somewhat creepy level of detail Kaji had gone into, while rubbing a watermelon in a disturbingly sexual way.

Life is a continuous nut-kicking contest where your turn comes last if ever. -majlund

Proud supporter of Shinji x Sachiel

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Joseph the PRPD wrote:I love Rebuild of Evangelion.

Also... One thing that would bring my love for Rebuild to a whole 'nother level...

Contaminated Angel Asuka (Askiel) vs. Shinji in a fight to death. For Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0/4.0

DO IT ANNO! DO IT!

And like I said in another thread a ShinjiXRei ending to make the Asuka/Shinji shippers cry and boil with anger for Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0/4.0.

DO IT ANNO! DO IT!

"Ha ha! Fooled you! Toji's not the pilot of Unit 03!"

Dude... Did you forget who we are dealing with?
Oh God that was also one of my favorite moments to.

Teague
Matarael
Matarael

Postby Teague » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm

@PRPD For the love of all that is, YES! Less A/S, more K/S/R!
"Don't you touch a hair on that boy's head! Have you no respect? He's mine! Get your own human play-thing, you quartz-brained little creampuff!"- Bernard Black
"Kaji was the most heartbroken and shattered over Kaji's death besides Misato." -AuraTwilight
Self-admitted meme-whore.
Unashamed troper.
O-sensei's House of a Thousand Hearts: Lest We Forget

DEMOLITION D+
Lilith

Postby DEMOLITION D+ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:08 pm

And of course, no one else finds it a little unappetizing that Shinji's one more extreme petting session away from making sweet love down by the fire with a clone of his mother?

That's weird. It's very weird. I say don't give him any love interest towards the end. In fact, Anno should make him so depressed that he no longer wishes to feel attached to the world decides to group it into one collective being during 3I and then change his mind like a girly spaz once it's all over then leave him stranded on a beach with probably the only pussy he'll see for a while and have him choke the hell out of her and then roll credits.

Yeah. That'd be a good ending to the series.

Kaji has cute melons.

Joseph the PRPD
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Joseph the PRPD » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:20 pm

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:And of course, no one else finds it a little unappetizing that Shinji's one more extreme petting session away from making sweet love down by the fire with a clone of his mother?

Nope. :smirk:

EdZ
Adam

Postby EdZ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm quite happy with it so far. While one or two of my favourite bits didn't make the cut (the few shots of testing Ramiel's defensive perimeter, and the admittedly filler Jet Alone), almost all of the pointless prevaricating about the bush has been removed. The pacing doesn't seem rushed, simply back to what it needs to be (the series was constrained by the Monster Of The Week formula, requiring every episode to be padded out to fill time). No complaints about Asuka having a bigger role (Yes, BIGGER), or the addition of a pilot who actually enjoys being a pilot.

CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby CyberXIII » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:59 pm

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:That's weird. It's very weird. I say don't give him any love interest towards the end. In fact, Anno should make him so depressed that he no longer wishes to feel attached to the world decides to group it into one collective being during 3I and then change his mind like a girly spaz once it's all over then leave him stranded on a beach with probably the only pussy he'll see for a while and have him choke the hell out of her and then roll credits.

Yeah. That'd be a good ending to the series.

Your sarcasm is much appreciated. Please go watch EoE again and let the rest of us enjoy something new.
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Eva 04 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:55 am

Rebuild of Evangelion has been great so far.1.0 was terrific I think.Especially the whole scene with Ramiel.The update graphics and such was great as well.

Now 2.0.Wow.That was one hell of a movie.I mean,sure.Tunniel and Clocky's screen time was short but wasnt short enough to not give an idea on how strong they are.

Sachsquiel was cool but when it took the form that was similar to it's original while falling was meh.That form seemed like it was ripped out of a video game I use to play.

But the rest of the film was cool especially the whole Zeruel thing.Best part of the freaking movie.The best part for sure :thumbsup: .So,rebuild is doing pretty good.Seems a little rushed but it's going pretty good.Cant wait for the last two.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:58 am

Who ever said they hated it?

I've only seen 1.0, but I thought it was great how it was. And from what I've heard about 2.0, it sounds even better.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:02 am

DEMOLITION D+ wrote:And for some reason, everything is WAY, MORE, SIMPLE.
That was part of the mission statement for rebuild.

DEMOLITION D+ wrote: a raging EoE hater's fan fic brought to life.
Agreed on the fanfic bit.

Joseph the PRPD wrote:And like I said in another thread a ShinjiXRei ending to make the Asuka/Shinji shippers cry and boil with anger for Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0/4.0.
YES!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Since you guys hate Rebuild so much....(Spoilers, probab

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:46 am

CyberXIII wrote:What do you think could be done to make Rebuild more entertaining for you personally? (I won't say better, because I like what they've done with it.)

-More mindfuck sequences. Longer, more drawn out and more visceral than in the series. I personally think that those would make for a great cinematic experience, too, so i don't see a reason why not to do it (the Helltrain scenes don't count. Those are just glorified monologues/conversations really). Also, i wouldn't mind if the new version Instrumentality (if there will be one at all) would happen in LSD land, without anything that resmbles a convetional narrative.

-More Yui. Come on, we all know she is in there.

-Less slapstick in 2.0 would have been nice. The silliness is just too crammed, IMHO. So i hope that if there will be any humor in 3.0/4.0, than it will be more character based or more ironic than what we had in 2.0.

-I can see why they altered the way the Zeruel beatdown was handled: we had Eva-01 nomming on Eva-03 a couple of minutes ago, and Mari doing "Za Beasto!", both of which involved gore and whatnot. Plus, Shinji was more in control this time, so having him do the same thing Yui did in the original would be kinda of. But yeah, less rocket punches and more animal brutality would be welcome. It just makes things more distinct and personal. It just has a stronger "smell".

-I don't think that i would automatically see something as "good" just because it's pitch black, but a generally heavier tone in 2.0 would have been welcome, at least for me. Well, there are still two movies ahead.

-Kaworu being reinvented as a villain. He has such potential. And no, not in an EMK way. That guy totally lacked in the "style & grace" department. I want a charming murderer, soul breaker and mindrapist extraordinare, without anything that resembles human morality. And yet, someone who couldn't be labeled as a complete monster.

People wrote:shipping

Oh goody, i have never been a part of the original shipping wars, so i can finally eyxperience this.

Shinji/Kaji FTW, the stupid bints (Rei, Asuka, Mari AND Kaworu. Misato is not an option.) all need to die in a fire.

EDIT:
Hate is too harsh a word, by the way. It's just that it's different, and since the only reason people here give a flying F about Rebuild is that they had seen the original and liked it (for the most part), so everyone had a vision of how Rebuild should be going compared to the original. It is impossible to please all.

Emperoreddy
Embryo

Postby Emperoreddy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:55 am

I'm loving Rebuild so far, I'm completly hooked and can't wait to see what is going to happen. I wish we got scenes that explained some more backstory, but for now I'm content in my belief that the next movies will delve into the backgrounds of this new Asuka (and I'm fine if its different and her mother didn't hang herself this time).

ReixShinji is cool by me for right now anyway because I just see it as a giant set up for Shinji to lose it when he learns the truth about Rei (if she is indeed still a clone, who the hell knows at this point). I know the crazy internal mind struggles and mental breakdowns are coming as the shit continues to hit the fan hard.

As far as the things I've noticed that people seem to dislike. I was ok with most of the slapstick, I laughed and thought it broke things up nicely, though in hindsight the scene at the aquariam could of been trimmed and the time used for something else. AT Field rocket punch and ATF arm didn't really seem out of place either for me atleast, I guess I just bought into it as something that works in this universe. Unit-01 is still scary as hell (not the same kind of scary as Episode 19, but still effective).

In the end it all depends where this is going, if the last two movies drop the ball it could totally change my opinion on Rebuild as a whole, but nothing can stop "Za Beasto!!!" from being super awesome.
Green Birds

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:30 am

SaJtyJoe: Yui NOT being in some form of control during Zer is just silly. There's no way in hell that was all just Shinji, given Ritsuko's lines.

Charming evil! Kaworu is a DO WANT. :nod: Just no ACO Alex.

And I wonder where people are pulling the Rei/Shinji love-love thing from, considering there's no romance between them (Shinji notices Rei = Yui, Rei wants Gendo & Shinji to get along. It's familiar love, NOT romantic) & they're BOTH in Eva-01 in 3.0.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Postby NemZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:01 am

I was disappointed with much of 2.0, as there's just so much going on and most of it feels either utterly pointless, rushed, or just plain stupid:

1) When introducing new characters, perhaps time would be much better spent on their personality and relationships with others, not flashy but generally pointless battles.

2) Do we really need all the obvious merchandising ploys such as new evas that only last one scene and alternate plugsuits?

3) The decontamination sequence for the aquarium was just pointless silliness.

4) If the classmates aren't going to add anything to the plot this time, why are they even on-screen or given speaking roles? Trolling is not a worthy reason.

5) I found almost every change in the fight with Zeruel to be idiotic. Beast mode 02, the WTF manner in which eva 00 was eaten, eyebeams and energy fists, glowing eyes on pilots... just all of it, really. Epic fail.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”