Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:57 pm

:lol: Madokafe.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stationyam ... 3/sizes/l/

Well... Thank you, ladies.

cramergamer
Adam

Postby cramergamer » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:18 pm

/a/ is angering me right now. a lot of people are hating on the ending. I guess it wasnt dark enough for them.
Representative from /a/ with a mission.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:21 pm

View Original Postcramergamer wrote:/a/ is angering me right now. a lot of people are hating on the ending. I guess it wasnt dark enough for them.

They got Anno'd.

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:06 pm

Gonna watch them this weekend. I've been busy the past few weeks and this is the first time posting :( I feel like I'm missing out...
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:49 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:Well... Thank you, ladies.

Let me put up the bigger pic too :)

Click to get the bigger image:

And of course: (click for bigger image)

View Original Postcramergamer wrote:/a/ is angering me right now. a lot of people are hating on the ending. I guess it wasnt dark enough for them.

At least these people are mostly not going to buy the BD/DVD anyway~~~

In 2chan the response are overwhelmingly positive. There were particularly huge praises for the animation quality (except the 6 fingers ha ha) and direction. Some people thought the ending was too grand -- some joked Madoka is now Madoka-sama; some joked it is Madoka Gurren Lagann -- but they mostly found the ending as it was is convincing and reasonable, satisfactorily wrapping up the plot lines and closing the story at a suitable point. Most agree that it is much better than a full bad end because it highlighted hope, love and friendship while did not shy away from the fact that there is a price for making all the changes and the truth that as long as human exists there is always negative, dark or evil feeling/being that needs to be dealt with. And more than one 2-chan-er pointed out that the current ending is much easier for a broader range of audience to understand and empathize. The main gripe is more about an existing sense of unease and the lingering feeling of "things not really get fully resolved", and then there is the complaint about how Sayaka was not treated as nicely as other mahou shoujo :-|

And there was disagreement over whether it was better to air 2 episodes in one go or do it separately. Some thought it would generate discussion and talks if there was some time between ep.11 and ep.12 but of course many thought it would be hard for them to just wait for ep.12 after watching ep.11.

And everyone agreed that whoever leaked out the screenplay for the last 2 episodes should be severely punished :lol:

The last volume (vol.6) of PMMM BD/DVD started to be available for pre-ordering from yesterday and it jumped straight into no.1 in Amazon JP anime BD sales ranking, followed by vol.1,5,3,2,4 and only after that is Harry Potter's latest film.... All 2-chan, regardless of gripes or not, agreed the airing of the endings would help sales enormously. The question is only: Can it beat Bakemonogatari in the total sales figure?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

PMMM: It's like Eva meets Lost meets Back to the Future.

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Just finished. My mind was thoroughly fucked. Apart from Madoka appearing by every mahou shoujo's side to put them out of their misery (like Rei in EoE when she turned everyone into LCL), I didn't think it was very Eva-like, which was simultaneously refreshing and a little disappointing. It certainly was amazing, though.

At this point I'm not sure whether I'd like to see a season 2 or not. More questions would be answered (and there are more of them now than ever), but I don't really see where they could go from here.

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:They got Anno'd.

Yeah. For a good portion of /a/ who either had the ending of NGE spoiled for them before they watched it or haven't seen it at all, this will be their first big mindfuck. That and they would complain about the ending no matter what it was, just because it's /a/.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Re: PMMM: It's like Eva meets Lost meets Back to the Future.

Postby soul.assassin » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:05 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Yeah. For a good portion of /a/ who either had the ending of NGE spoiled for them before they watched it or haven't seen it at all, this will be their first big mindfuck. That and they would complain about the ending no matter what it was, just because it's /a/.

Shit, after being stunned for several hours... now I can laugh! It's like they've been dropped a MOAB over their heads.

Hey, I can't help but notice the Lady of Jugs closely:
View Original Postsymbv wrote:Image

Damn, Mami, you're Number 1! :rofl:

OBTW, I'm setting one of my fics on hold, and planning an Eva/Madoka crossover. No kidding on this one, my brain's on fire.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Re: PMMM: It's like Eva meets Lost meets Back to the Future.

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:At this point I'm not sure whether I'd like to see a season 2 or not. More questions would be answered (and there are more of them now than ever), but I don't really see where they could go from here.

Opinion from 2chan is that the ending is a clear signal that season 2 is possible, because now the whole setting is shifted back to what you usually see in the mahou shoujo genre -- no witch, mahou shoujo stays as mahou shoujo, QB is a partner not a manipulator.... Most of the cast can do the usual slice-of-life things in this mahou shoujo world. And from the interviews with Shimbo and other staff, if there is a season 2 it will be a happier and more slice-of-life one... If this is what season 2 is about, I am definitely in...
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Killer Bee
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Killer Bee » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:36 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:...from the interviews with Shimbo and other staff, if there is a season 2 it will be a happier and more slice-of-life one...

Shinbo was talking about a PMMM slice-of-life spinoff series (similar to the slice-of-life Eva spinoffs). I think you're mixing up the interviews where he was talking about that with the ones where he was talking about a possible second season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

A happier, more slice-of-life second season seems impossible; at the end of episode 12 Homura was beginning to develop hypotheses about how their current world came to be and was discussing it with Kyubey. I don't see the girls forgetting about such major things as that so they can go spend a day goofing off at the hot springs.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:07 pm

View Original PostKiller Bee wrote:Shinbo was talking about a PMMM slice-of-life spinoff series (similar to the slice-of-life Eva spinoffs). I think you're mixing up the interviews where he was talking about that with the ones where he was talking about a possible second season. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I translated the Shimbo interview and posted here so I think I know what I am talking about :wink:

It may not be the continuation from end of Ep.12 but Shimbo seems to be keen on using the existing cast for some happy stories. First task: Take Butch Gen from screenplay role :lol:
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby rhfxz1s » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:04 am

I got a bit of an EoE feel from the ending, especially regarding the message of the story. Particuarly, Homura's line "this world is filled with pain and yet she chose to protect it" sounded a lot like Shinji rejecting instrumentality and choosing the barren world of One More Final. Also, Madoka essentially becoming an omnipresent being reminded be of instrumentality, though it's not quite the same when only one person gets the treatment.

But anyway, I really liked the ending. It was pretty positive and they did a good job given how the story had progressed up until that point.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:13 am

Madoka was awesome. I'm really glad my expectations were surpassed. I also love what they did with Mami. Her talk with Madoka around the coffee table was one of my favorite parts of the ending. It really felt like it washed away a lot of the mud crazy Mami dumped on her.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:40 am

From where this scan came from? It's full of coming-soon figurines.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:04 am

FUCK YES SHINBO YOU DID THE IMPOSSIBLE

A perfect ending to a brilliant, brilliant series.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

kuwisdelu
Lilith

Postby kuwisdelu » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:08 am

Awesome ending. I'm definitely feeling the Eva+Lain vibes. Madoka essentially erasing herself from the world to become a god is very Lain-like, and the transcendence and visiting of the other puella magi in all the other worlds felt very Instrumentality-like.

I think the more hopeful ending fit best for the TV show format. Even EoTV felt hopeful and uplifting compared to EoE.

I'm extremely happy with how everything turned out, but I have to admit, I'm left wishing Ep 12 was two episodes, with more drawn-out mindfuckery and Madoka/Homura introspection, EoTV-style.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:17 am

Has anybody here already figured out the last few seconds of episode 12?

Homura´s black wings look kinda Witch-ish and her laugh was kinda half-hearted after Madoka said "Do your best!/Ganbatte".

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:20 am

I think her soul gem was about reach its limit and then she would finally get to be with Madoka again.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:28 am

As far as I can see, the last few seconds of the final episode reminded of what was Homura's situation as the series ended. She is still fighting alone, but Madoka is supporting her. It's a struggle, but all is well. I interpret the laugh more as relief than anything else. But what child of lilith says is quite plausible as well.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 22, 2011 5:01 am

View Original PostOz wrote:FUCK YES SHINBO YOU DID THE IMPOSSIBLE

A perfect ending to a brilliant, brilliant series.

Let's get some vodka and celebrate all this. The best shitstorm ever since EoTV 25-26. :D

OBTW, ratings:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... osaka-area

Update: I'm getting the remaining episodes, and then archive it before the big 'Plex dogs could put a big red L on Madoka.
Last edited by soul.assassin on Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

User-iel
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby User-iel » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:46 am

@soul.assassin I marked well what you said back there - off into the wilderness with you, and come back bearing your inspired fanfic! Hey, it could work.

@symbv Once more, my gratitude for your fanatical support. And your anticipation did very well. What do you suppose your sync rating is for Urobuchi-san? I think it's close to where you could pilot him ; )

@InstrumentalityOne If I might interpret, the 'dark wings of Homura' mean that in the new world, a Puella Magi can live with their grief, and resolve it, instead of collapsing. In her case, forever, since it seems that this is how she has to pay for what she did from the karmic perspective. Oh, and uhh... tell all your friends - she's Batman.

@Killer Bee Definitely a more TTGL vibe, if we compare to Gainax standards. Lain is also a good fit. There is more than a bit of CLAMP circular logic also. Mix in the Lime and the Coconut, drink a bowl up. Just for good measure.

I was satisfied by the nature of the ending. It is a complete enough statement. Animation quality held up for me, I think that this may be a new option for scheduling future ending arcs. In terms of success for Shinbo and Shaft, they obviously have a monster on their hands.
And I have criticism. In a lot of ways, Gen chose to cut the ending from cheaper cloth. The mechanic of 'wish system buffer overflow attack' was a least-common denominator effort to get to this point. Afterlife cameos for Mami and Kyouko seemed to be misplaced, or excessive deux-ex-machina to me. Well, it'll help sell some swag, anyway. I will have to carry on, mourning all the better, more literate endings that were possible.

Universal applause for - viewers like you! If you read and carefully evaluate the predictions in the past 73 pages, there is an almost eerie tendency for everyone to 'get it right.' From the constraints of the large plot events, down to individual graphics sequences and characters, almost everything is - correct, just slightly displaced. If I may point to Merridian's statement on Feb 16th: "Mami was lonely and had her share of emptiness, Homura surely has her mysterious FUTURISTIC demons to battle, Miki suffers from what appears to be unrequited love, etc."
Yes, that wish was also granted.
- KYUUUBEEYYY! ! ! -
This seems to extend to Pixiv as well. The green themed MS that is saved by Madoka has some strong designs in common with one of the "Hitomi Magica" artworks. And we get to see Homura use a (sub based) missile attack. There are Many points of tangency... don't you wonder how this could be? I wanted Urobuchi to finish playing out his story on 'hard' difficulty, as many of the fans were engaging the plot that way. But it seems to stop at 'medium.'

Waiting for season two, with an author who will build upon his successes, and bury his failures.

Return to “Anime and Manga”