How to properly watch Nadia

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

ericm
Embryo

How to properly watch Nadia

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:45 am

So I've seen suggestions on how to watch the Nadia series, most state approximately to watch eps 1-22, then skip to ep 35, agree/disagree?

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:46 am

That would work, yes. I personally just grit my teeth and sat through the awful Island & Africa arcs just to say I watched it all, and I don't particularly regret it, but skipping right to the end might be preferable.

However, episodes 30 and 31 are actually pretty decent and introduce an important plot element that reappears in the finale, so you might want to consider watching those as well.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:27 am

I watched it all. Painfully bad at at times, but I watched it.

I did have to mute the musical episode though.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Xard
Banned

Re: How to properly watch Nadia

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:55 am

View Original Postericm wrote:So I've seen suggestions on how to watch the Nadia series, most state approximately to watch eps 1-22, then skip to ep 35, agree/disagree?

Ep 31 is actually important and the one episode Anno himself salvaged from the Island Arc for his Nautilus Story as it is IIRC.

Ep 30 might be worth watching as it setups events of ep 31.

Apart from that the episodes are pointless though. I did watch it all but bastards didn't even give me purple heart

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 12, 2011 10:01 am

There are some redeeming elements in those episodes. Not very much though. My recommendation is to watch the whole thing once. After that, feel free to skip the island arc.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Sun Jun 12, 2011 1:40 pm

I've come late to the show. What's this about Nadia?

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:19 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:I've come late to the show. What's this about Nadia?

Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water was Anno's previous series before Evangelion. Episodes 23-34 - animated by a different studio and directed by a different director - are infamously bad.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Reason for this was that GAINAX had planned it as 26 episode series but its immense popularity led to NHK extend series lenght to 37 episodes. Anno who was already drowning in work gave the "filler episodes" to be handled by his friend Shinji Higuchi. In practise the episodes were mostly farmed out to other studios which led to drop in animation quality, out of character behaviour of characters and in general bad writing.

Only crucial part of the infamous "island episodes" is ep 31, rest is skippable filler.

And if you watch the island episodes by all means skip three times more horrifying episodes 32-34 "Africa arc" which are ten times more horrible. Even after the decision to do island episodes these aren't found from GAINAX's original plans so why they even exist is beyond me. Worse than that, return of Anno & GAINAX in ep 35 pretty much flows straight from ep 31 in terms of mood and characterization. It's as if Africa arc never happened.

So the "island episodes" can be split in two: island episodes 23-31 and Africa episodes 32-34

34 is horrible musical episode.

That's all I need to say

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:34 pm

And episodes 35/36/37 are good again?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:40 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:And episodes 35/36/37 are good again?

Of course, they're real GAINAX stuff directed by Anno. In fact I think 35/36/37 is one of the best finales in any anime ever, fantastic stuff.

When Island episodes were given to Higuchi Anno focused full-time on crafting the finale so the difference between the infamous fillers and the finale is pretty dramatic.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:44 pm

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:And episodes 35/36/37 are good again?

Yes, and 38 and 39. In fact, I agree with Xard about the greatness of the finale. The final episode of Nadia is the only anime moment that's come close to making me cry.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:55 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Reason for this was that GAINAX had planned it as 26 episode series but its immense popularity led to NHK extend series lenght to 37 episodes. Anno who was already drowning in work gave the "filler episodes" to be handled by his friend Shinji Higuchi. In practise the episodes were mostly farmed out to other studios which led to drop in animation quality, out of character behaviour of characters and in general bad writing.

[...]

So the "island episodes" can be split in two: island episodes 23-31 and Africa episodes 32-34

Something does not add up:
- NHK required the series to extend by 11 episodes (26->37)
- The really really terrible, non-Anno, episodes are from ep23 to ep34, which is 12 episodes

So Anno got lazy and decided to give one episode from the original plan to his friend to direct? Perhaps the NHK request to extend the series is not the only thing to blame?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:06 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Something does not add up:
- NHK required the series to extend by 11 episodes (26->37)
- The really really terrible, non-Anno, episodes are from ep23 to ep34, which is 12 episodes

So Anno got lazy and decided to give one episode from the original plan to his friend to direct? Perhaps the NHK request to extend the series is not the only thing to blame?

It was up to 39, actually -o-;

I remembered episode count wrong. The point is they extended episode count to 39 somewhere around ep 20 or so...there were few breaks during episodes 19-22 airing if I remember correctly so presumably they planned the adjustments then.

In any case you know it's bad when even director (Anno) says he only would've saved one episode from it all

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:22 pm

Oh god, not this again.

I agree with Monkey, watch the whole thing through once. If you want to rewatch it later on, then you can choose to skip the "island episodes."
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:52 pm

Yeah, why skip any of the episodes? You'll just be left wondering what you've missed.

The movie, on the other hand...
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:12 pm

I've never seen Nadia, would I like it (and don't anyone say "oh it has no mech hur hur hur")?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:48 pm

^

I don't think anyone can honestly answer that question.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:18 pm

I haven't watched Nadia save for a fansub of the first two episodes... I'll probably watch the dub of Nadia--The Nautilus Story
( viewtopic.php?t=8798 ) because the island arc sounds like there's tons of character derailment on Nadia's part, and what little I saw of her, I found her to be interesting/mysterious. (Although I probably read spoilers about the series sometime ago, they don't bother me and/or I already forgot about said spoilers.)

And fun fact: the Renewal/Platinum booklets state NGE Episodes 08 and 09 were called the "island arc" amongst the staff because they supposedly have a similar feel to the episodes in Nadia. :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:16 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:I've never seen Nadia, would I like it (and don't anyone say "oh it has no mech hur hur hur")?

Funny thing is that it does have mechs of certain kind.

But no, I have no idea whether you'd like it or not.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:01 am

I'm watching Nadia right now, and, hell with it all. I'm skipping the island episodes except for 30 and 31 and going straight to the finale. Maybe I'll "watch" the others here and there while I'm doing dishes or something.

SSD: Definitely don't skimp out on the original Japanese version because you're afraid of the filler episodes. Here are some needlessly fangirlish reasons why...

- The main villain is voiced by Motomu Kiyokawa, aka Fuyutsuki, which is a source of endless amusement.
- Male protagonist Jean is voiced by Noriko Hidaka, aka Noriko Takaya from "Gunbuster".
- Sanson could be considered Kamina's "ancestor", and you really have to hear him in Japanese to appreciate this fully. (Not the same seiyuu or anything, but the way they talk when they go full throttle...)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”