Angels

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ericm
Embryo

Angels

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:01 pm

This may have already been explored in the past, but I noticed most of the angels come from the water, or (in magmadiver) somewhere else inside the earth. Anyone know where exactly the angels are coming from?

My other question, and I'm sure this will be even more obvious to some of you, what exactly are the angels trying to accomplish by attacking? They always go after Lillith (I assume?) EXCEPT the one episode they go after Adam (in the hands of Kaji). So what exactly is the difference, and whats their exact motivation?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Angels

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:15 pm

View Original Postericm wrote:Anyone know where exactly the angels are coming from?

Adam.

ericm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:20 pm

First off, I made a mistake; obviously some of the angels also come from the sky..which seems to complicate matters.

And how can they come from Adam? Isn't he/it simply that embryo now?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:32 pm

View Original Postericm wrote:First off, I made a mistake; obviously some of the angels also come from the sky..which seems to complicate matters.

And how can they come from Adam? Isn't he/it simply that embryo now?

The 3rd through 16th angel are the progeny of Adam. They were born from Adam, that is specifically where they came from.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:14 pm

View Original Postericm wrote:And how can they come from Adam? Isn't he/it simply that embryo now?

Adam was only reduced to an embryo-state during the Second Impact; prior to this it was the mysterious giant of light we see prior to Second Impact. Adam is what is known as a Seed of Life, just as Lilith is, and the particular type of life Adam gives birth to are the Angels (while Lilith spawned mankind and the rest of life as we know in the real world).

As for why the Angels come from a multitude of different places: during Second Impact, the Angel eggs were cast off in several different directions: some made it to the ocean, some in space, at least one in a volcano, etc.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

ericm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 pm

Eva Monkey and Sacha: thankyou for your combined clarification..now can someone tell me what specifically the angels' motivation is for attacking? Are they seeking to attack Lillith (which I would partly understand why) or seeking to recover adam (which I wouldn't understand what that accomplishes) or something else??

Eric

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:45 pm

View Original Postericm wrote:they seeking to attack Lillith (which I would partly understand why) or seeking to recover adam (which I wouldn't understand what that accomplishes) or something else??

Generally speaking, this is so. But, there is speculation that some Angels had their own motives (like Arael [s]skull[/s] mind-fucking Asuka).
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

ericm
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ericm » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:46 pm

Which PART is so? Both? Or is this a topic that is up for debate still? (like how you say some angels may have had their own motives..)?

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:47 pm

View Original Postericm wrote:Which PART is so? Both? Or is this a topic that is up for debate still? (like how you say some angels may have had their own motives..)?

We are (pretty) sure that some had other motives, but we've yet to figure out what. (Bardiel: LOOK DADDY, I CAN DRIVE THIS!!)
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

Xous
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Xous » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:55 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:We are (pretty) sure that some had other motives, but we've yet to figure out what. (Bardiel: LOOK DADDY, I CAN DRIVE THIS!!)

This post deserves mention, at least for the last part. xD

Anyway, ericm, I think that thread (the one that aforementioned post is located in) goes a little into the motives of the Angels, as well, so that may be worth reading. I'm sure there are other threads that go into that, but I haven't looked.

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:34 pm

View Original PostXous wrote:This post deserves mention, at least for the last part. xD.

Hahaha, I'd been looking for that.... :lol:

Also, this.

The explanation of Angel motivation may be lonely, but it will exist forever, archived somewhere in the immense list of threads...then, perhaps, one day, that particular statement may be quoted, and a sign that such a thing existed won't be forgotten.

:)
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:37 pm

View Original PostXous wrote:This post deserves mention, at least for the last part. xD

Thank you, I need that for my sig. :w00:
The Moats of Quotes

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm pretty sure there's plenty of threads debating the Angels' motivations as a whole (here's a few threads); I remember reading a thread debating on whether or not the Angels realized that Lilith was actually Lilith. The theory went something along the lines of this:

The Angels' true goal was to initiate an Adam-based 3I by coming into contact with Adam. It is to this end that they attack Tokyo-3; to "react" with the Adambryo being kept beneath it, in the Geofront. This also explains their attack of the fleet where Kaji had Adam. But what about Sachiel, Shamshel, and Ramiel? Well, perhaps the Angels (not being the most adaptive/intelligent of beings), mistook Lilith for Adam. Kaworu's thoughts support this, as he has his "realization" about "Adam" being Lilith (more on the whole "Adam=Lilith?" stuff here and here and here). This would imply that the Angels were looking for Adam the whole time. In contrast, the Classified Information says something about Angels making contact with Lilith also starting 3I, so maybe the Angels knew it was Lilith the whole time.

In the end, it's mostly fanwank.

(There's a lot of interesting links to look at; sorry if I used too many parenthesis and stuff.)
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”