June Newtype Discussion

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Fri May 27, 2011 10:41 am

I think you got that backwards. The story was actually altered as a result of the sarin gas attack to avoid similarities.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri May 27, 2011 10:45 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:One of NGE's main inspirations was the Aum Shinrikyo subway attack. I don't think Anno or anyone else was being overly sensitive to tragedy, seeing as how NGE ends with the Aum-like suicide cult conquering the world and killing everybody. I doubt Anno or anyone else is going to do much altering of NME because of the quake, something which, devastating as it is, is practically business as usual compared to a nerve-gas attack.

No

Anno changed fuckton of stuff after Aum Shinrikyo attack because the eery similarities between Aum and the story he had been writing would've probably led to censorship and the similarities would've obfuscated all other aims of the work and hogged up all attention.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri May 27, 2011 11:33 am

Oh. well okay then.

Where is this stated? Apparently I've been reading the wrong shit
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 am

One of NGE's main inspirations was the Aum Shinrikyo subway attack. I don't think Anno or anyone else was being overly sensitive to tragedy, seeing as how NGE ends with the Aum-like suicide cult conquering the world and killing everybody. I doubt Anno or anyone else is going to do much altering of NME because of the quake, something which, devastating as it is, is practically business as usual compared to a nerve-gas attack.

If gainax was worried about the quake, what exactly would they censor in the third movie? tokyo 3 was pretty much wiped off the map at the end of the third movie, there's not exactly a lot left to destroy there unless they have a big fight in another location.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri May 27, 2011 11:39 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Oh. well okay then.

Where is this stated? Apparently I've been reading the wrong shit

My primary source is in finnish but I remember reading the same thing in one of those old Azuma-that-polish-guy interview/discussions.

Gas attacks took place in 1995 not long before Eva's first episode was ment to be aired, but of course the first episodes had been finished long before during the pre-production phase. So you can't really say Anno was inspired by Aum in the first place. Aum did definetly have influence on Anno, but mostly through self-censorship

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri May 27, 2011 11:41 am

View Original PostDefectron wrote:If gainax was worried about the quake, what exactly would they censor in the third movie? tokyo 3 was pretty much wiped off the map at the end of the third movie, there's not exactly a lot left to destroy there unless they have a big fight in another location.

Fukushima? Or somewhere near nuclear facilities? (which would surely be not near Neo Tokyo-3)

Seriously I don't think Khara (more than Gainax) was yet ready for release this year even the quake had not hit, but the quake surely delayed things, and possibly in addition some details may need to be changed depending on what they had in the script.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri May 27, 2011 12:00 pm

The question of Aum Shinrikyo and the relation between the gas attacks and Evangelion has been brought up, but from what I remember the connection had to do with the atmosphere in Japan following the attacks: a general fear of religious fanaticism and an acknowledgment of new cults that were spreading out of control.

I can't recall anything from proposal that would have been censored by the Sarin attack, unless Anno had come up with something else that he decided not to go along with. Telling truth apart from facts for NGE's production can be hard.

Regarding the censorship of scenes, only the infamous "blood tsunami" in 2.0 comes to mind as actually being censorable.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri May 27, 2011 12:13 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Regarding the censorship of scenes, only the infamous "blood tsunami" in 2.0 comes to mind as actually being censorable.

I remember rewatching 2.22 at some point after the March 11th disaster, and I think I either teared up or shuddered at the "blood tsunami" part... Eva certainly can hit "close to home" with real life disasters at times. (I submitted a letter about this to Darkhorse awhile ago, I should post it on EGF.)

Anyway, it's a good point that whether or not there is editing/modifications of scenes of 3.0 or even 4.0 preliminaries, 3.0 is probably pushed back somewhat. I wonder had those March 11th events not happened, if we'd get any information about 3.0 sooner? Yet because Anno's such a perfectionist as his recent 2.0 CRC Interview shows, it's very possible we wouldn't have heard anything for a year. I guess hearing any information within the next few months (or the Fall) is just wishful thinking on my part.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Doesn't look like we'll be getting any concrete news in the August issue

[URL=http://imgur.com/3e0nt.jpg]Image[/URL]

But at least we get some yukata fanservice!

サービス! サービス! ヽ(´ー`)ノ
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:36 pm

To my understanding, this thread accumulated to a point where we were waiting for a translation to what was said.. then it died. I haven't seen that translation anywhere. What happened with that?
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Nobody cared because it wasn't about Q
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

Menma from Ano Hana on the cover! They really know the timing of picking the right cover!

There seems to be a 52 page of Evangelion Endless Summer Book. Perhaps we will see more Eva illustrations?
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Knuckles
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Knuckles » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:18 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Nobody cared because it wasn't about Q

They... printed that Asuka cover with NO information about Q inside?

Weren't we promised Q information? Or did we just assume too much...
"It doesn't matter. This is all I need.."
"Rei is genetically his mom, socially his friend/coworker/classmate, legally his sister, spiritually the progenitor of the entire 'normal' biosphere, physically a mass of matter that ought not be, and technically (depending on which Rei we're talking about) also some form of the risen dead.

...and I still like Shinji/Rei."

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:08 am

^they're teasing us, now we're waiting for the damned NTV's airing (because of a possible preview with real animation of 3.0), after that we could just start praying in Sanskrit.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Nonoriri
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Nonoriri » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:49 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:Weren't we promised Q information?

Nope.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:48 am

View Original PostKnuckles wrote:Weren't we promised Q information? Or did we just assume too much...

Nope. Fans just assumed it was information about 3.0 when in fact June 2011 Newtype Japan (released in May) contained Studio Khara interviews. From what information WAS provided in here and Japanese websites, specifically Anno told fans to "Please wait a little longer" regarding information about 3.0. At least this news http://www.evageeks.org/2011/07/evangelion-2-0-tv-broadcast/ inspires some hope in me about 3.0, but we'll see once late August hits.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:23 am

You want Q news? HAH! Sure you do!

Have the usual Lawson/Loterria/J!NS/Radio Eva cross promotions!

SPOILER: Show

Scans courtesy of the internets
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:52 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Scans courtesy of the internets

Thank you, internets (but no Mari in yukata?).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

facespace
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby facespace » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:09 am

I, like most of you, am quite frustrated with the lack of Q news. I would prefer them to release something rather than having my news feed be spammed with Eva stores, and some silly prius with an eva paint job. I mean with all of this marketing for the new movies, wouldn't there be some more info on Q? grrrr.
PEWPEWPEW

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:22 am

View Original Postfacespace wrote:I, like most of you, am quite frustrated with the lack of Q news. I would prefer them to release something rather than having my news feed be spammed with Eva stores, and some silly prius with an eva paint job. I mean with all of this marketing for the new movies, wouldn't there be some more info on Q? grrrr.

they haven't even got to animation phase yet...

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”