EvaGeeks' Most Watched Movies of 2011 [1]

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Chungking Express. I've turned my girlfriend into a Kar-wai fan now...I'm excited.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:37 am

>> Obligatory post mentioning that Chungking Express is my official all time favorite film. <<

Also, I watched Young Frankenstein today.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Fazmotron
Admin Emeritus :-{|
Admin Emeritus :-{|

Postby Fazmotron » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:30 am

Saw I Am Number Four tonight, comedy of the year.

Some seriously hilarious shit.
[Became a moderator on August 14th, 2011. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
--Fazmotron--
A.K.A. - Ryan Farrell
How Chaz sees me.
BobBQ - I find your lack of :-{| disturbing.

FAZMOTRON.com

Dark doom
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Dark doom » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Came out on the 18th of December last ... in Japan.

Had no idea. Just had fangasm BTW. :w00:
Blah, Blah, Blah, Blaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.

And then we come to the merchandising... facepalm- Mr. Tines

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:45 pm

Tiki, movie about a killer tiki statue. Despite nitpicks this was a fantastic movie, think Gremlins for adults.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:46 pm

AKIRA or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Anime. Seriously, I hated anime until a friend of mine referred me to this film.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:31 pm

Toshiya Fujita's Lady Snowblood: Flabbergasting. A tightly knit revenge story set in the explosive, corrupted Meiji era that doesn't turn away from poignant imagery and powerful criticism. Even though it doesn't have the silent rage of the Scorpion Meiko Kaji's presence is menacing, intriguing.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:56 pm

Princess of Mars, another good sci-fi movie from The Asylum.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Just published this week's Spotlight on Japan review: The Man Who Stole the Sun (aka the film from which 2.0 borrowed a theme tune)

EDIT: Continued my Bond rewatches with Diamonds Are Forever. Filled with very corny and irritating henchmen, lousy Bond women and a surprisingly generic plot. Very uneven in quality (sometimes quite good, sometimes just terrible).
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

IrkenEvangelion
Pilot
Pilot

Postby IrkenEvangelion » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:01 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:I just finished The Disappearance of of Haruhi Suzumiya... My mind is blown. That's all I can say. I can go on and rant about how amazing it was for pages here but... nothing needs to be said. The ending credits just gave me goosebumps... Wonderful.

I demand more though.
THIS IS STEINS;GATE'S CHOICE!
----<3 Merchant meets Spicy Wolf <3----
8 YEARS OF EVA, Does it mean something to you?
EvaPedia|Xbox Live|El Psy Congroo

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:15 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:Toshiya Fujita's Lady Snowblood

Good. Now watch it side by side with Kill Bill for a great game of "Catch That Reference!"

Watched The Room. Yes, that film. Probably would've enjoyed its awfulness more had I not already seen the Nostalgia Critic's review of it.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:44 pm

The funny part is that there is actually a legal battle going over The Room. The assistant director claims Wiseau actually let him direct the film completely while he focused on acting - but Wiseau still took the director credit. I just don't understand why anyone would like to be credited as the director of The Room. :lol:

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:43 pm

Lol The Room. What makes that movie so depressing is they were actually trying to act rather than the usual bad movie "We know it'll be terrible so let's not even try" acting.

And I saw The Sweet Smell of Success.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:The funny part is that there is actually a legal battle going over The Room. The assistant director claims Wiseau actually let him direct the film completely while he focused on acting - but Wiseau still took the director credit. I just don't understand why anyone would like to be credited as the director of The Room. :lol:

Maybe there's money to be made from getting director credits? I figure that'd be the best explanation

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:42 pm

Hellraiser 7: Deader. Why do people hate this one? It's not that different from the last two. Well, unless the eighth installment proves me otherwise this is the best of the Hellraiser movies, 'nough said. :cool:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:23 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Maybe there's money to be made from getting director credits? I figure that'd be the best explanation

More like the only explanation. I've directed stuff I would want anyone to see, much less take the blame for them without substantial financial compensation.

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:I just don't understand why anyone would like to be credited as the director of The Room. :lol:
it's bullshit, he did naught steal tha credit, he did NAUGHT...oh hai Oz :leekspin:

sorry, I could go on and on all day and night with quotes from that movie

my gue$$ i$ it'$ all about the Benjamin$ :money:

think about it, who would have thought back when that abortion of a movie was made circa 2003 that it would become such a cult classic?

someone like Richard O'Brien must have done well doing "The Time Warp" for all these years

so, how is your sex life?
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:44 pm

Kundun[8/10]

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:41 pm

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote:Kundun[8/10]

:w00t: One of Scorsese's more interesting films in my opinion. The weight/impact of its themes is incredible.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:52 pm

View Original PostOz wrote::w00t: One of Scorsese's more interesting films in my opinion. The weight/impact of its themes is incredible.

Agreed. I also left the film with positivity and hope, which is rare for me.

Return to “Film and Video”