Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

The Official Getter Robo Topic

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

From the mind of the legendary Go Nagai comes the globally iconic and hot blooded GETTER ROBO!

The very super robot that came up with the idea of robots transforming and/or combining, Getter Robo was originally an early 70s manga that was eventually sent onto television in 1974. One year later a follow up sequel series called Getter Robo G built on what the original started and perfected it; the series did have US release under the title of Starvengers. In the early 90s the franchise had a reboot series called Getter Robo Go, introducing the Neo Getter with a new crew and the legendary Shin Getter Robo; strangely enough this is the most obscure of Getter Robo-dom. A few years later a 13 episode OVA called Shin (Change!) Getter Robo was released at the end of the OVA boom, being more faithful to the manga and introduced a dark and gritty aspect to the franchise; it became such a smash hit it was eventually released in the US under the title Getter Robo Armageddon. In 2000 a 4 part OVA called Shin Getter vs. Neo Getter got back to the roots of the original series and acts like a remake to an extent. Finally came 2004's 13 part OVA New Getter Robo, essentially being a complete remake of Getter Robo G with onis that act like movie zombies and with giant killer oni controlled by the Japanese legendary sorcerer Semei Abe (our equivalent would be Merlin from the story of King Arthur) and the Four Heavenly Kings of Eastern legend; like Armageddon this was released in the US.

Getter Robo has inspired, directly or indirectly, many series and franchises including Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, GaoGaiGar, Ultraman Tiga and Dyna, Aquarion, Transformers, Golion (aka Lion Force Voltron), and countless others.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:50 am

Read the manga yesterday, after /m/ suggested it. I liked Ishikawa's Mazinger Z one shot, so I figured why not.

Quite possibly one of, if not the, most badass things I've ever read or seen, let alone one of the best mecha series.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

GreatOldOne
Embryo

Re: The Official Getter Robo Topic

•      
  •      

Postby GreatOldOne » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:20 am

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:From the mind of the legendary Go Nagai comes the globally iconic and hot blooded GETTER ROBO!

You mean Ken Ishikawa. Also, the Getter Robo manga (especially Getter Robo Go) is probably some of my favourite super robot stuff ever. Looking forward to when Getter Robo Arc/Āḥ gets translated.
billion

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:26 am

Sideburns and dinosaurs.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:14 am

I think I will have to check this out
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:01 pm

What are the three versions of getter names is it getter 1,2 and 3 or getter dragon, getter poseidon and getter tank.

And just on a another note I love how the main character yells out GETTER BEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:01 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:And just on a another note I love how the main character yells out GETTER BEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that's Go Nagai for you, always very male.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:28 pm

View Original PostFinal Messenger wrote:What are the three versions of getter names is it getter 1,2 and 3 or getter dragon, getter poseidon and getter tank.
Getter 1, 2, and 3 are the original. Dragon, Poseidon, and Liger are Getter G.
Shin Getter follows the same naming pattern as the original. It's also hax incarnate in the manga (according to /m/, I have only read plain ol' Getter Robo and not the sequels yet).

Seriously, check the manga out. It's badass as all hell. OVAs are also pretty good, apparently.
"Are you suggesting Toji was nearly killed because his eva had a yeast infection?" - NemZ
"You know...pretty much everybody has a motive to kill Kaji. So let's just take this to it's logical conclusion and say Pen-Pen killed Kaji in a jealous fit of rage over Misato." - Trajan

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:59 pm

The Dragon, Poseidon, and Liger sequence is also used by Shin Dragon after it morphs into Shin Getter Dragon.
You mean Ken Ishikawa.

Yes, though to be fair Go Nagai was involved with it's creation.
And just on a another note I love how the main character yells out GETTER BEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Ryoma Nagare
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Final Messenger
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Final Messenger » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:20 pm

Just finished the getter robo manga it was pretty good it also surprised me how much of a body count each chapter had they did not even shy away from killing children
Avatar:super high school level ???? Kyouko Kirigiri
"Before Pimptimus turned the Jupitris into his brothel it was giant helium carrier"- Fireball
"to solve a mystery sometimes you have to take risks. Isn't that right?"- Kyouko Kirigiri
more people should read Dangan Ronpa

Alastor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Alastor » Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:28 pm

And now, Getter Robo G has been finished.

I think that just leave Getter Robo Āḥ to be scanlated.

Retro Chocolate
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Retro Chocolate » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:39 pm

So does anyone with more knowledge of Japanese than me have any idea what this is: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2000110.
It would appear to be a Shinsouban (meaning "New Edition") of Getter Robo Arc, but I can't find any info on the release. Shinsouban releases tend to have redrawn pages, and sometimes even entirely new scenes, but with Ishikawa-sensei, y'know, dead, I couldn't see this happening. There are 3 volumes so this could just be a high quality release of the tankoban, but I'd like to know if anyone canfind and info on the Japanese web.
"That's not it at all. Trying to go on living is different than trying to escape fear. Those who acted in order to live until the end, without losing themselves to fear and what was happening around them, are the ones who survived properly. We don't know what "God" is thinking, but both fortune and misfortune are thrust upon people. Even so, people exist within a domain that is theirs in which to act."
-Luca, Berserk

"Surely, a true Buster Machine pilot, the real Nono-Riri, would have a Buster Machine in the heart!!" BUSTER BEAM SLASH!!!
-Nono, Diebuster

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:19 pm

:resurrect:
Getter Arc is getting an anime this year.
PV1
PV2

Man. I'm not averse to fanservice, but Getter Robo has to be the single most circular and incestuous franchise I have ever seen. Reusing plotlines 1:1 from the old shows is one thing, but openings too? That's just sad at this point.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Anime and Manga”