What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Old sticky threads from different subfora are preserved here for easy reference

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:01 pm

View Original PostIrkenEvangelion wrote:Well it IS a romance... Everything prior was just questioning whether it was moral or not.

If there's a hole, it's a man's job to thrust into it!

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:04 pm

You totally stole that from Ryoma from New Getter Robo. Although to be fair there is a ton of truthiness in that statement (copyright Stephen Colbert).
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:21 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:You totally stole that from Ryoma from New Getter Robo.

I only remember the quote comes from old school mecha anime, thanks for naming it :lol:

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:27 pm

New Getter Robo was in 2004 though so it's not old school. :thumbsup:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 am

Speaking of Chobits, I've been making my way through Kobato and noticed a couple of Chobits characters in it, including Chii and Freya. Wouldn't be a CLAMP show without crossovers, and twins, they always have twins.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:59 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Go and watch the compilation film and Ideon: Be Invoked instead. You'll have a lot better experience with films.

I am watching the two compilation films (in small chunks in my office in between patients). I wouldn't waste my time with a 39 episode series when there is a compilation movie to watch instead.

Ornette wrote:Chobits

I remember having an in-depth discussion about the qualities of Chobits and all it's pantsu.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:26 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:I remember having an in-depth discussion about the qualities of Chobits and all it's pantsu.

I bet it was enlightening.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 11, 2011 3:39 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:I bet it was enlightening.

I remember that, and it was. We were also talking about Monster at the time and how the theme song at the end seemed kind of out of place.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:08 pm

^Did you guys talked about all that in the forums years ago, or was it an actual conversation that we'll just have to guess by ourselves on how Chobits relates to pants and the quality that is the theme song ending to Monster?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:44 pm

A late reply:

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Finished the last Break Blade movie [...]

Oh, and that DVD/BD cover that Dr. Nick posted in some other thread, that happened a few movies back, queen was taken hostage in her own room and was told to strip (wanted to swap clothes).

Sure, the scene happened, but it's still an example of hilariously false advertising. In every episode there was a single short fan-service scene, and that's all. Apparently these cheesecake bits were faithfully replicated from the source manga, so it's not like Xebec put them in as an executive-level afterthought (although looking at Heroic Age, it's readily apparent that they are an ass-focused company). The rest was always pretty gritty. Hence, the cover makes about as much sense as putting Sigourney Weaver's panty-shot scene on the cover of Alien.

As for the series itself, it gave me some faint OVA-boom vibes. Lots of expensively-animated brawling, creative mechanical designs, cliche soup and a story that ends after the first mid-boss and leaves all of the major plot threads hanging. The final episode had some unintentionally funny moments, like Nile's heroic bullshit comeback, perhaps the most ghetto mid-series upgrade ever, and Loggin interrupting a heart-wrenching scene with a well-placed correction punch.

I can't decide whether this was incredibly awesome or horrifying.

Edit: Remastered Patlabor TV looks soooo good. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5]

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:59 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^Did you guys talked about all that in the forums years ago, or was it an actual conversation that we'll just have to guess by ourselves on how Chobits relates to pants and the quality that is the theme song ending to Monster?

It was in the early days of the IRC when I actually frequented the IRC.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ornette » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:02 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^Did you guys talked about all that in the forums years ago, or was it an actual conversation that we'll just have to guess by ourselves on how Chobits relates to pants and the quality that is the theme song ending to Monster?

It was on IRC, probably have logs of it, it was during Brik's watch through of Chobits, I believe. And "pantsu" = underwear, in this case the female variety.

Dr. Nick wrote:The final episode had some unintentionally funny moments, like Nile's heroic bullshit comeback, perhaps the most ghetto mid-series upgrade ever, and Loggin interrupting a heart-wrenching scene with a well-placed correction punch.

That was a pretty awesome scene and funny. I was sort of expecting an open-hand slap because that's what she needed, but a punch was more awesome. He obviously doesn't believe in Sean Connery's philosophy on hitting women.

On second thought, she needed to be punched since she was splitting her own head open smashing it against one of those mechs. Also, the post-knockout facial expression:

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:11 pm

...oh mary and holy lamb why do I do this to myself. After (yet another one oh sweet) food operation and returning home I ended up doing something that for the first time in a long, long while made me want to inflict some serious self-injury. Thankfully I didn't get further than hitting the computer table with my fists couple of times and lots of swearing.

I marathoned Macross 7 Encore OVAs, Macross 7 Plus specials, Macross 7 The Movie: Ginga ga Ore wo Yonde Iru and remaining 9 episodes of Macross 7 in a row

the trauma will not recede

What I'm doing now? Unfortunately I'm not yet quite qualified for Macross Lifer medallion so

this broad has fried her brain with some DYNAMITE EXPROSION

I'm now watching Basara sings to Moby Dick Macross Dynamite 7 OVA

Thankfully it's light years ahead of series in terms of production values and maybe directing too so the aftertaste of the whole "project" won't be that bitter...still, "lolkawamori"

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:29 pm

After finding out the nice folks that sub Steel Jeeg weren't having episode 5 on their agenda for a long while I pretty much went "f**k it" and marathoned eps 5-11 in Italian dubs all in one sitting, only pausing once to get a drink of water for my medication I've been taking for a stomach virus I caught Sunday night. Aside from renaming Michie to Meva for some reason (what the hell?) these dubs weren't half bad. As for the episodes themselves for the most part they were really awesome except for this pink mole thing that annoyed Don for a few eps. The Galura from ep 4 may still be my favorite haniwa phantom thus far, but the fights have been really good thus far. I'm only eleven episodes in and it's pretty safe to say that this will get a high score from me after I'm done, which scares me some because if it goes onto my top ten it'll boot NGE off of there. :dejected: But NGE will always be special to me so I guess you guys won't kill me TOO much if that happens.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:35 pm

Watched No. 6 and Usagi Drop.

No. 6 was alright, but I'm sick of Rat never explaining why he hates the city so much. How long are they going to draw this out?

Usagi Drop was fantastic. This was probably my favorite episode so far. I loved the idea behind planting the trees, but my favorite part of the episode was the ending with everyone walking down the path of flowers. A new benchmark has been reached.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:39 pm

^I can't believe we're halfway done already, and I still find myself amazed by the effortless charm the show is pulling.

If they can keep this up for the next 5 or so episodes, I think we found the sleeper hit of the Summer of '11.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:43 pm

Now I'm a little sad. I was hoping for a full 26. :dejected:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:46 pm

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Now I'm a little sad. I was hoping for a full 26. :dejected:

Well, all the websites related to the show keep saying it's 11, apparently the new 13 nowadays.

We'll just have to wait and see CoL, we'll just have to wait and see...

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:29 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:Well, all the websites related to the show keep saying it's 11, apparently the new 13 nowadays.
Single-cour NoitaminA shows are always 11 episodes. They're the only block that does that, so it's not like there's any kind of trend...

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:24 pm

I must admit I do derive great deal of satisfaction from the kind of dialogue I'm pretty sure you won't find from any other anime ever :hahaha:

like a boss too - and it was bloody f*cking awesome. Hell yeah whale singan and singing whales ftw. I love me some KUJIRAAAAA, KUJIRAAA, KUJIRAAAA, SUGEEE YATSU DAAAAAAA, KUJIRAAAAAAAA

speaking of whales

ICHIMAN'NEN TO NISEN'NEN MAE KARA A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUU
hassen'nen sugita koro kara motto koishiku natta
ICHIOKU TO NISEN'NEN ATO MO A-I-SHI-TE-RUUUUUUUUU
kimi wo shitta sono hi kara boku no chigoku ni ongaku wa taenai...

sure was bloody Kawamori ending worthy of 12 000 years, I know I wasn't supposed to but I ended up laughing :hahaha:

Finished Aquarion. I still need to pick up and gather my scattered thoughts on the series before writing much else.... Important point is that it's certainly A LOT better than Macross 7 no matter what, even if end it ended up being less satisfactory than I had expected around eps 15-20 when I was having such a great time. Still, my final score will be positive one for certain.

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Now I'm a little sad. I was hoping for a full 26. :dejected:

NoitaminA shows are as a rule 11 episodes. Usagi Drop has been fantastic but some of the spoilers I've read (not on purpose but goddamn don't they bombard those on /a/ whenever thread is made...there's only so far being careful will take you) make me feel uneasy and slightly anxious... :cringe:

Well, two flies down from three (well actually I still need to watch Aquarion OVAs and the film)... after all this "Kawamori at his worst" material it's time to focus on loltomino and finishing Zeta Gundam. I've fucked around way too long with these three series and it's starting to threaten my other planned project...

Return to “Old Stickies”