Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

What anime are you watching right now? Apr-Sep 11

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 28, 2011 5:50 pm

Continued from viewtopic.php?t=10354

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Well that explains it :P

Also Fireball was a real short but fun anime. I'll watch the 2nd season when it finishes airing.
Last edited by Mr. Tines on Sun Sep 25, 2011 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:10 pm

I just finished Armored Trooper VOTOMS: Pailsen Files (specifically the OVA version). Wow, what a cool series, and man did it have some really great action scenes to go with it. It is a real shame I did not care for the music or the fact that I need to see the TV series, but oh well. Might give The Last Red Shoulder a look-see.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:23 pm

I figure I'll finally check out this Macross Frontier thing everyone keeps talking about. After all, the only mecha-anime I've seen has been Evangelion.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:49 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:I figure I'll finally check out this Macross Frontier thing everyone keeps talking about. After all, the only mecha-anime I've seen has been Evangelion.

Just bear in mind the three pillars of Macross Frontier
1. Bishounen and Bishoujo (pretty young boys and girls)
2. Mecha and dogfights
3. Music and songs
All are important part of the series. Hate one of them and chances you won't like this anime.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:10 pm

^So it's basically a 90s Disney film and every single anime made mixed in a blender.

...why do I keep postponing myself from watching it?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:21 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^So it's basically a 90s Disney film and every single anime made mixed in a blender.

Awesome.
Movin' Right Along

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:38 pm

^So it's basically a 90s Disney film and every single anime made mixed in a blender.

Only the cliched parts.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:41 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Only the cliched parts.

Have you seen it TDSA? Cliche-good or cliche-bad?
Movin' Right Along

Merridian
Angel
Angel

Postby Merridian » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:41 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Have you seen it TDSA? Cliche-good or cliche-bad?
"Cliche-OH MY GOD THIS IS AMAZING----"

I recommend watching SDF-Macross (along with its film accompaniment, Do You Remember Love?) and Macross Plus beforehand, though. You'll get a more fulfilling experience with SDF & DYRL as background, and Plus is a short & sweet ballstothewallohfuckinghellyes dose of excitement for its four episodes of brilliance. Plus is, IMO, the best introduction to the franchise, because it distills a lot of the core "MACROSS" elements & themes down into a short, beautifully animated package... plus some. It's fantastic.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:13 am

My god, the preview for the new Maria+holic OP single has almost terrified me enough to stop me from watching the show.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:23 am

Welcome back, Merridian.

This weeks Ano Hi Mita Hana was fantastic. It even ended on a extremely creepy note. Oh, and I guess I'll call it now:
SPOILER: Show
The "Menma" that Popo saw was Yukiatsu in drag. This show just gets better and better.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:42 am

View Original PostCorporalChaos wrote:My god, the preview for the new Maria+holic OP single has almost terrified me enough to stop me from watching the show.

What's worse... Next month, they're planning to put that video up on one of the video walls in Shibuya.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:27 am

View Original Postchild of Lilith wrote:Welcome back, Merridian.

This weeks Ano Hi Mita Hana was fantastic. It even ended on a extremely creepy note. Oh, and I guess I'll call it now:
The "Menma" that Popo saw was Yukiatsu in drag. This show just gets better and better.

Also, I maybe have already said it
Yukiatsu killed Menma

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:17 am

Have you seen it TDSA? Cliche-good or cliche-bad?

If it's not the second Macross Frontier movie and has the word "Macross" in the title I have seen it from beginning to end. And it's cliched bad and I can give reasons:

1. Horrid music all around. 7 is literally the only one in the franchise with decent music.
2. Lacking action. Seriously, this alone is why I consider Zero the best of the franchise.
3. Number skips (where's the VF-26?).
4. Sheer idiocy (that is a friggin' manticore not a hydra!).
5. Every character that isn't Brera, Michael, or the Vajra is annoying as crap.
6. For it being called Macross FRONTIER they sure use the Quarter an awful lot (deceiving title much?).
7. It has a good government conspiracy plot and they hardly ever do anything with it, real shame really.

But the effects were pretty so maybe you'll like it.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:29 am

[C] - GOD DAMN IT [gg]

MY FACE WHEN there was a commercial for Baskin Robin's "Pop rock" icecream in the middle of the ep
It's really fucking delicious, especially when floating in their trippy blue cream soda :3

Ep 3 of AnoHana was real good. It has a nice pace, so far I think it's much better than it's Noitamina comrade..

The special OVA of HoTD was... Pretty fun I guess. The ending is hilarious.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:02 am

That's modus operandi for gg - and I thought it was a fairly boring choice. It certainly ain't MORNING RESCUE. The episode itself was interesting, but hardly anything special. I still consider AnoHana the best show of the season.

@Trajan: My advice is to ignore anything TDSA says about Macross Frontier. It's a damn great show no matter what aspect you analyze.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Banned

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:15 am

No, listen to me, I'm a dang expert when it comes to creature-featured anime. :nod:

Anyway, this morning I watched Armored Trooper VOTOMS: The Last Red Shoulder. Screw Char's Counterattack and Do You Remember Love, this was entertaining. Sure, the final battle was a bit short, but other than that it was quite actiony. :cool:

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:29 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Also Fireball was a real short but fun anime. I'll watch the 2nd season when it finishes airing.

Interesting.

5 Centimeters Per Second - just beautiful. Absolutely stunned by its direction & artwork. Artistically this is one of the greatest anime I've ever seen. When the credits kicked in I got shivers.

K-ON!! episode 1-26 - took me long enough to finish this beast of a season. Heart-warming ending and it felt better than the first season. Ritsu has officially replaced Mio (who didn't really have a great presence anymore) as my favorite K-ON girl.

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Specials episode 3 - why is this actually better than the series? Oh yeah, I know! No Kirino.

Baccano! episode 7 - finally explanation for all the supernatural powers. This is getting better and better.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Postby toe mash » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:57 am

View Original PostOz wrote:That's modus operandi for gg - and I thought it was a fairly boring choice. It certainly ain't MORNING RESCUE.

I just thought it was funny since I ate that flavor the commercial focused on in Japan nearly every time I got a chance :)

Fireball wrote:Interesting.

Oh, lol. Are you a fan of it or is it just a coincidence? The only time a "fireball" gets referenced is the last ep, though :tongue: (13 x 2 min episodes. Worth it)

5 Centimeters Per Second - just beautiful. Absolutely stunned by its direction & artwork. Artistically this is one of the greatest anime I've ever seen. When the credits kicked in I got shivers.

K-ON!! episode 1-26 - took me long enough to finish this beast of a season. Heart-warming ending and it felt better than the first season. Ritsu has officially replaced Mio (who didn't really have a great presence anymore) as my favorite K-ON girl.

Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai Specials episode 3 - why is this actually better than the series? Oh yeah, I know! No Kirino.

Baccano! episode 7 - finally explanation for all the supernatural powers. This is getting better and better.

So much truth in one post :salute:

5cm/s is one of my favorite titles, but I hope you saw it in full HD (at LEAST 720p). Any less is an insult :lol:

Many agree that the 2nd season of K-ON was considerably better than the 1st. Episode 20 was a real kick in the gut, I didn't think we'd get a sad episode before the ending. And the "Tenshi ni Fureta yo!" scene in 24 is easily one of the most memorable in the whole series.

The OreImo specials are better (on average, I guess?) than the series so far, and episode 3 was possibly the best of them why don't you log on MAL, Xard, you baka

Baccano! is awesome although a few members here dislike it with a passion, and a real satisfying experience - especially when coupled with the extra 3 episodes. You should check out Durarara!! after if you haven't already. It's based on a novel by the same author and animated by same studio. Also a bunch of references to Baccano here and there.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Fireball » Fri Apr 29, 2011 2:04 pm

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:
Oh, lol. Are you a fan of it or is it just a coincidence? The only time a "fireball" gets referenced is the last ep, though :tongue: (13 x 2 min episodes. Worth it)

Coincidence. I wasn't aware there is an anime named after me.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:5cm/s is one of my favorite titles, but I hope you saw it in full HD (at LEAST 720p). Any less is an insult :lol:

Of course I did. The backgrounds are so breathtakingly eye candy, I could print out the entire movie and put it on my wall. Heh, I might as well do this...

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:
Baccano! is awesome although a few members here dislike it with a passion, and a real satisfying experience - especially when coupled with the extra 3 episodes. You should check out Durarara!! after if you haven't already. It's based on a novel by the same author and animated by same studio. Also a bunch of references to Baccano here and there.

Actually, I'm aware of Narita's Durarara!! and it's on my "plan to watch" list for some time now. Coincidentally enough, I gave the same recommendation someone else who finished Baccano!. I'll make sure to read the criticism once I finished the series. I'm always interested in different opinions.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Return to “Old Stickies”