[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [2]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 am

Mastodon - The Hunter: Well, that was...surprisingly shitty. Easily their weakest album to date, only one or two memorable tracks and neither prog nor sludge in sight. They're certainly stepping out of genre boundaries, but if the result is mediocre, I can't exactly recommend that as something in their favor.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:23 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Not all of them though. Andy Lau is first and foremost an actor and he had many years of acting behind him before he broke as a top singer.

Andy Lau is just a badass, though. Seriously. Is there anything that man can't do?

To me it is not that refreshing because it only reminds me of how far behind HK is in terms of developing idols.

Like I've said in the past, I'm not really into the whole "idol" thing. My favorite Asian pop acts are Faye Wong and Pizzicato Five - neither of whom really fit into the "idol" mode. In particular, Faye's focus on her vocals and creativity (especially in the mid to late 90's) have given her numerous classics. Same goes for Pizzicato Five, actually.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:42 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Same goes for Pizzicato Five, actually.

Just one of those shibuya-kei acts from the 90's. I may have not listened much to Pizzicato, but I prefer Flipper's Guitar. As a Perfume fan I ought to listen to capsule (Perfume producer Yasutaka Nakata's project) too, but I haven't been inspired to do it because I don't like Nakata in his hipster mode.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:48 pm

I actually have yet to acquire any Flipper's Guitar, but I've been meaning to for a while. I'm also quite fond of Fantastic Plastic Machine and Puffy. Buffalo Daughter is just okay, though.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Flipper's Guitar is pretty hard to obtain on CD. There are only obscure SACD releases on CDJapan and the debut album is completely OOP (found out this after waiting for it to ship for months). Their albums can be found on YouTube, though.

Example songs:
The Chime Will Ring (the closing track of the debut album): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqiY32GoJwY&feature=related
Blue Shinin' Quick Star (from their third and last album): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FETfRqg7qVk

Flipper's Guiitar is just about as easy-going and retro as pop music can get. :lol:

EDIT: Might as well throw a link to an early capsule song as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhYZXmtLAJA
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:46 am

Just found out that David Lynch is producing a Chrysta Bell album this year. Could this year get any better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfiM4VZ4Y_o&feature=player_embedded
http://chrystabell.com/

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:56 pm

HORSE the Band. Fuck yes, Nintendocore.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:11 am

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:Mastodon - The Hunter: Well, that was...surprisingly shitty. Easily their weakest album to date, only one or two memorable tracks and neither prog nor sludge in sight. They're certainly stepping out of genre boundaries, but if the result is mediocre, I can't exactly recommend that as something in their favor.

Honestly, I kinda liked it (in that "stepping-outside-of-themselves" way). Mind you, it's not great like their other albums...but I personally wouldn't say it's bad.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:26 pm

Gustav Holst is a genius. The Planets are awesome, all of them.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

Postby Azathoth » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:05 pm

View Original PostAngelNo13Bardiel wrote:Honestly, I kinda liked it (in that "stepping-outside-of-themselves" way).

Like I said, I certainly commend their courage for making a record so very unlike their previous work. It's just that I think the music itself is awful. It reminds of me the nu-metal I listened to in elementary school.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:42 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Gustav Holst is a genius. The Planets are awesome, all of them.

I remember in a Deutsche Grammaphon album, The Planets is followed by Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" (made famous by 2001 Space Odyssey) which is a very ingenious choice that fits in very well despite the many years between the two pieces.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:41 pm

So, I'm listening to Chrysta Bell's album This Train. So far I have no idea whether I like it or not. It's got a lot of nice elements, but something feels missing. I have no ideas what though. I will say though that the album is too down tempo.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Trajan » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:46 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:I remember in a Deutsche Grammaphon album, The Planets is followed by Ligeti's "Lux Aeterna" (made famous by 2001 Space Odyssey) which is a very ingenious choice that fits in very well despite the many years between the two pieces.

Apparently some Japanese pop singer used Jupiter in one of songs and said song was like a mega hit or something. Anyways, I'm listening to some Water Music right now.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:19 pm

GoldenEye 64 soundtrack is better than EVERYTHING OMG AGHAKLGD:AFDAF

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Postby symbv » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:59 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Apparently some Japanese pop singer used Jupiter in one of songs and said song was like a mega hit or something.

That is Ayaka Hirahara 平原綾香 who got her major break by the "Jupiter" single in 2004. It was indeed one of the biggest hits that year and it is still a very popular song frequently sung in karaoke. The lyrics is about keeping a positive and forward look on life and urging people not to feel depressed and lonely. It has been used in many charity events including a few for the victims of the March earthquake and tsunami.

(from the CD)
http://youtu.be/Ok_hemznZgw
(live event)
http://youtu.be/K7rob0JVlfE
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

Postby backseatjesus » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:58 am

http://davidlynch.com/splash/
New David Lynch track. Sounds like Captain Beefheart on crystal myth.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:30 am

So I found Kate Bush's The Whole Story on vinyl yesterday...

and it skips during "Wuthering Heights." :(

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

Postby Stryker » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:18 am

Currently listening to the Star Wars Cantina Theme. Why? Because it is actually better then most crap made today. :nyao:
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

Postby Oz » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:32 pm

Someone, please get this song out of my head. It has haunted me ever since I (re)discovered it yesterday morning.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

HE DOES! BD

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:47 pm

View Original PostStryker wrote:Currently listening to the Star Wars Cantina Theme. Why? Because it is actually better then most crap made today.

I know a better cantina song. Richard Cheese makes everything better.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”