Any good documentaries?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

theobject
Embryo

Any good documentaries?

•      
  •      

Postby theobject » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:40 pm

Just wondering, because I have an upcoming project which, apparently, vaguely involves watching a documentary, and I will have some time on my hands, what with spring break and all.

It can be about anything (originally I wanted to do something that maybe had to do with anime, or video games, but I've decided anything will do).

So far I've watched The Cove, and Waiting for Superman, neither of which I particularly liked- does anyone out there know any good ones?
Hello. I'm a noob.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:56 pm

Capitalism: A Love Story. As long as you realize it's fact you'll be good.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:09 pm

@topic
http://www.documentaryfilms.net/Reviews/RiversAndTides/

@TDSA
He said "good". *
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Seen recently:

-American Grindhouse
-Cool It
-Stonewall Uprising

Recommend all three.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:19 pm

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - about the ultimate Donkey Kong competition

Exit Through the Gift Shop - about street/graffiti artists
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:52 pm

Lynch One and the sequels
Bananaz (Gorillaz documentary)
Starshaped (Blur Documentary)

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:40 am

The best documentary I've ever seen is Kiarostami's Close-Up. Why? It's one of the most brilliant, complex, and poignant depictions I've ever seen on how art becomes an indelible part of our lives and how intricately it intertwines with reality.

I also loved Man on Wire. Most people cream over Errol Morris' films, but I haven't been too thrilled yet. Herzog has made some great ones. Grizzly Man is excellent, and I've heard great things about Encounters at the End of the World. Another great one is When We Were Kings about the legendary '74 boxing match between Ali and Foreman. You also have the classics like Nanook of the North (certainly the most IMPORTANT documentary ever made, and quite good I thought), Triumph of the Will, Night & Fog, Sorrow and the Pity, Shoah, Man with the Movie Camera, etc.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:57 am

I recently saw The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On and Armadillo and loved both of them. The former is quite obscure, but the latter should eventually be released on DVD.

In case you are familiar with the director Yasujiro Ozu, Wim Wenders' Tokyo-Ga and Kazuo Inoue's I Lived, But ... are must-see docs.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:08 am

Good documentary, there are many....

Just wonder: do you think the most successful documentary is also a good documentary? I am thinking of The Unconvenient Truth.. In terms of box office and awards won I think it is the most successful documentary, but is it a good one, or it is a clever way to instill a kind of environment ideology to the audience, better than but not too different in essence from what Michael Moore made?

Oh yes, back to good documentary... How about The Cove and Yasukuni? They all fall into the category of recently made documentaries about Japan but were as good as not being shown in Japan.
Last edited by symbv on Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:19 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Yasukuni

Just as I thought I had discovered all the essential titles, you post something like this. Yet another addition to the painfully long list of Japanese films I need to see.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:43 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Oh yes, back to good documentary... How about The Cove
OP said he didn't care for that one. I thought it was pretty good but was also pretty manipulative. There were a lot of specious claims made...
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Apr 24, 2011 4:00 am

I'd be interested to hear how a non-wrestling fan would react to Beyond the Mat.
Like an!me, wrestling is a niche product, so you might get some ideas on how to present unfamiliar subject matter to an audience.

Ten years ago this was some shocking/moving stuff; not sure if it has aged well though.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

jtdurai
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby jtdurai » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:14 pm

I've seen Werner Herzog's Encounters at the End of the World, which someone mentioned. Herzog is one smart dude, that's for sure. The documentary was one of those that I can admit was good, but it didn't really interest me. I was idly watching it on one of those TV movie channels though...

King of King was excellent, I thought. Very accessible too.

I might watch some of these others. I have been in a documentary mood.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:59 pm

William S. Burroughs: A Man Within. A beautifully poignant look at one of America's most controversial and innovative writers. It doesn't talk about Burroughs's work, although that is mentioned. The focus is primarily on his personal life, and influence. Yony Leser, the director, did a truly wonderful job, assembling a rich cast of artists and musicians influenced by Burroughs, as well as his close friends. I admit, I shed tears at the stuff about his wife and son.

I need to get Lizzy to see it, because she's crazy about Patti Smith, who is featured prominently in the documentary. Now, I don't know as much about Patti as Lizzy does, but Lizzy tells me she's a total fag hag, which is the impression I got when Patti dreamily recounted how she used to fantasize about eloping with Burroughs. Well, believe it or not, he was married twice before, so I guess there was some room to hope. :lol:
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

theobject
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby theobject » Mon Apr 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Thanks, guys. Taking a lot of this stuff in.

I've seen some of Herzog's documentaries- Grizzly Man was definitely a really good one. Man of Wire looks interesting as well.

I'm trying to find which of these films I can find at my library/the Internet....
Hello. I'm a noob.

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:29 pm

View Original PostBrikHaus wrote:The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters - about the ultimate Donkey Kong competition

Exit Through the Gift Shop - about street/graffiti artists

Actually, the exact two that I came here to post. I don't suppose you have Netflix Instant as well?
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:45 pm

Of course, the 500 lb gorilla of documentaries is Triumph of Will, but it's really rough going because it's also a reprehensible pro-Nazi propaganda film, so it might not be appropriate. You could use a "documentary vs propaganda" angle in your project. Of course, you could do that with any of Michael Moore's garbage as well.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:31 am

View Original Postdrinian wrote:Actually, the exact two that I came here to post. I don't suppose you have Netflix Instant as well?

I certainly do!
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:40 am

If you're going to watch a Moore film, I'd reccomend Sicko. It's the only one I've been bothered to sit through more than once, and having written about it in class I can say there is enough good and bad filmmaking on and beneath the surface to keep people busy.
Voluntary Illusion.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:50 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Of course, the 500 lb gorilla of documentaries is Triumph of Will,
Man With the Movie Camera was probably even more influential and important; not as controversial, but it was basically a documentary film about the idea of documentary films. All film is manipulation, and no film was ever so creative in its manipulations.

Return to “Film and Video”