Manga still has Evangelion rights?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Manga still has Evangelion rights?

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:14 pm

This probably has nothing to do with a U.S. release of Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance, but I found this:
[url]http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Evangelion-2.22-You-Can-Not-Advance-Blu-ray/21502/[/url]
And it looks like it's a DVD+BD combo pack. Why can't stuff get released like that in the States?

Also, Manga Entertainment still has release rights to Evangelion?

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm

I believe that Manga Entertainment acts as a distributor for Funimation in the UK. Their Wikipedia entry seems to back that up.

So they have the right to distribute Funimation's localization of Evangelion 2.22 in the United Kingdom, but that's it.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:25 pm

IIRC, Manga Entertainment has the rights to NME in the UK? (Which is what that release is for.) Not really sure how that works, but I thought it was something along those lines.

Edit: Ninja'ed by Dri.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:31 pm

I see. I didn't think it had anything to do with the U.S. release. Usually I can tell what country a release belongs to by the region codes, but I'm not that well versed in BD regions yet.

I also find it interesting that Funimation's logo is also printed on the front of the disc cover. I'm gonna assume they're using Funi's English dubs for the English language track.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:37 pm

Manga had a combo pack and Funi doesn't for this title? (recently, Funi has been giving combo packs to a few titles) Goddamn it, I had to buy both the 2-disc DVD and the Blu-ray in order to view the film in multiple areas... Thankfully, the DVD was $10 less than the Blu-ray, so spending $30 wasn't that bad as one hoped... but still pisses me off.

And yes, apparently, UK manga distributes the Funimation versions of the Rebuild of Eva films. THANKFULLY, THEY DON'T MESS WITH THE FUNI DUB NOR DO THEY CREATE A DUB THAT'S WORSE THAN FUNI'S. (compared to the Death/EoE dub, that's saying a lot.)

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:03 pm

Some films just aren't marketable to justify a DVD/Blu-ray combo pack. And I personally don't see the need for it. Then again, I don't have a Blu-ray player, but still why have two copies of the same movie? It doesn't make sense!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:13 pm

Get a Blu-Ray player (with proper screen) and it'll make sense. I don't buy "unmarketable" as an excuse -- there hasn't been a new release of the film in ten years. It's damn near out of print. Evangelion is one of the most high-profile anime properties ever. That, combined with interest created by Rebuild, makes this the perfect time to release a BD. Oh yeah, it would sell. Region 1 deserves a proper version of EOE.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Warren, as far as I can tell, this thread hasn't mentioned an EoE (re-)release explicitly or implicitly until your post. Tangent bait, much? :p
Last edited by Reichu on Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Eva 04
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Eva 04 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:18 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Get a Blu-Ray player (with proper screen) and it'll make sense. I don't buy "unmarketable" as an excuse -- there hasn't been a new release of the film in ten years. It's damn near out of print. Evangelion is one of the most high-profile anime properties ever. That, combined with interest created by Rebuild, makes this the perfect time to release a BD. Oh yeah, it would sell. Region 1 deserves a proper version of EOE.

You do know Blue-ray players are expensive,right? Not everyone can go out and get one.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:35 pm

@EVA 04: Bah! Like you have something better to spend money on. Skipping one day of food consumption every week for a few months will get you more than enough dough.

@Reichu: When it comes to Manga Entertainment, EOE is the big fish. They're the reason why the film has no English distributor right now, which is just insane. What I'm asking is, where is their headquarters located, who has a battering ram, and why doesn't Home Depot sell torches in bulk!?

But if you insist on "on topic": why does M.E. have the rights to Evangelion anywhere in the world again, even if they're not allowed to mess with it? There are still ways they could screw the discs up. Bottom line: Manga is the Maya of Evangelion home video distributors.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Manga still has Evangelion rights?

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 pm

According to google shopping, I could buy a BD player for $32.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Also, Manga Entertainment still has release rights to Evangelion?

http://www.animenews.biz/perfect-blue-end-of-evangelion-lupin-the-3rd-castle-of-cagliostro-us-licenses-expired-2363/

Fallingtogrey
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Fallingtogrey » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:34 am

Hopefully.
Last edited by Fallingtogrey on Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fear. It is something vital to us puny creatures. The instant Man stops fearing is the instant the species will reach a dead end, only to sink to pitiable lows, only to sit and wait apathetically for extinction!"

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:49 pm

I thought Manga only had the rights to EoE outside of Japan and paid seven figures for it, but the license lapsed like that link posted by Ornette said, and nothing else re: Evangelion
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”