Kandoku Shikkaku - New movie produced by Anno

A forum for discussing the filmmakers and artists associated with Khara, Trigger, or Gainax, but apart from their studio projects.

Moderator: Board Staff

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Kandoku Shikkaku - New movie produced by Anno

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:54 am

No information is released except for the front page of a website. It said "kandoku shikkakku" (failed director) will be release on Sep 03 this year and the producer is Anno.

http://k-shikkaku.com/

Eyes rolled when people saw the director and the actress names though. The director Katsuyuki Hirano is notorious for being obsessive over the details in the adult video he directed and often got onto relationship with the actresses starred in his videos, the most infamous being Yumika Hayashi who became one of his most steady lovers but died suddenly at 35 in 2005. This film is apparently a documentary that touches on the relationship between Hirano and Hayashi.

As I could find prior mention in some blog back in last Dec ( http://johakyu.net/archives/2010/12/2010-12-11-001074.php ) and the same news can also be found on the website of Khara, the movie studio that produced this moive ( http://www.khara.co.jp/news/2011/04/000004.html ) it should not be a hoax.

The Dec blog article actually said that Anno got very interested in Adult Video recently. Since I am sure he watched AV quite a bit before, I wonder what kind of obsession with AV he is now :chinscratch:
Last edited by symbv on Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:51 am, edited 4 times in total.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:28 am

So, yet another director who has been via the AV world? It seems like the Japanese tradition for finding auteurs has been exactly that for the past 20-30 years. This could turn out to be great or utterly terrible.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:40 am

@symbv ha, I meant to make a forum post about it, I must have spaced out about it. I'll link the front page post to this thread.

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:18 am

My ears perked up when I saw the words "failed director." But I guess Anno enabling another guy to tell his own story is well and good too.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:32 am

I've heard something about this project before

certainly interesting

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:05 am

Well, this makes perfect sense. Since Khara finished _Rebuild_ on time & schedule years ago, they and Anno have been looking for things to do.

Certainly looks like an interesting project - the subject matter seems reminiscence of _Love & Pop_, maybe.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:59 pm

Good to see Anno hasn't given up on facilitating depressing arthouse projects!
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:34 pm

View Original Postgwern wrote:Well, this makes perfect sense. Since Khara finished _Rebuild_ on time & schedule years ago, they and Anno have been looking for things to do.

Though fans in Japan are wondering what is the implication for progress in making Rebuild Q ......
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:49 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:Though fans in Japan are wondering what is the implication for progress in making Rebuild Q ......
gwern uses sarcasm -- it's super-effective!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:05 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:gwern uses sarcasm -- it's super-effective!

Am never used to plain-speaking sarcasm I'm afraid... The response in 2chan has been pretty negative... Basically the line goes "hey Anno if you have so much time finish Rebuild first!! Watch AV if you want but don't let it take off your work time and delay Rebuild!!"

And when gwern mentioned "on schedule"... Has there ever been a schedule??
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:08 am

View Original Postsymbv wrote:And when gwern mentioned "on schedule"... Has there ever been a schedule??
The early publicity suggested the Rebuild films would appear in 07, 08 and the two-in-one finale in 09. Well, one out of three ain't bad.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

I noticed a statement by Anno explaining why he produced the film here:
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0030959

Looking at it quickly, it seems Hirano's first bicycle trip film, Yumika, was recommended to Anno by, I think, Morio Amagi, in 1997, at a point where Anno was still in a bad condition mentally. He felt that film had a liberating effect on him. In February 2010 Amagi called Anno and asked him if he would help with Hirano's new film. Anno did it because of the impression the title gave him, and because he felt he had to pay back Hirano.

When he met with Hirano, he told Anno that he would not be able to move on or do anything else if he did not do this film about Yumika. Anno felt this was just like himself, who was remaking Evangelion in order to escape the “curse” of Eva. Anno cried when he finally saw Hirano's film.

Hopefully symbv can correct me if I misunderstood something.
It's an interesting statement by Anno.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:14 pm

View Original Post1731298478 wrote: Anno felt this was just like himself, who was remaking Evangelion in order to escape the “curse” of Eva.

O_o O_o O_o O_o O_o

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:42 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:O_o O_o O_o O_o O_o

That he would say something like this actually doesn't surprise me one bit. I've suspected for a while now that Anno's goal with Rebuild is to attain a sense of resolution for the plot and, in particular, the characters - having put his heart and soul into it, clearly he wasn't happy leaving the story on such a grim note. In that sense I get the feeling he's making it more for himself than for anyone else. Finally seeing 2.0 a couple months ago made me more convinced of this than ever.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

Kandokuj Shikkaku - translation of Anno interview

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:02 am

^ So Anno also needs closure from the grimdark EoE, huh? I just hope that he would do something like Re-take and get some ultimately good ending for the characters he created (and then abused).

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:I noticed a statement by Anno explaining why he produced the film here:
http://www.cinematoday.jp/page/N0030959

Looking at it quickly, it seems Hirano's first bicycle trip film, Yumika, was recommended to Anno by, I think, Morio Amagi, in 1997, at a point where Anno was still in a bad condition mentally. He felt that film had a liberating effect on him. In February 2010 Amagi called Anno and asked him if he would help with Hirano's new film. Anno did it because of the impression the title gave him, and because he felt he had to pay back Hirano.

When he met with Hirano, he told Anno that he would not be able to move on or do anything else if he did not do this film about Yumika. Anno felt this was just like himself, who was remaking Evangelion in order to escape the “curse” of Eva. Anno cried when he finally saw Hirano's film.

Hopefully symbv can correct me if I misunderstood something.
It's an interesting statement by Anno.

1731298478, I do not have anything to correct. This is what the article said about the background of Anno joining force with Hirano in making this film.

Might as well give a quick stab at translating Anno's comments.

庵野秀明プロデューサーによる『監督失格』コメント
「僕は何故、この映画を作ろうとしたのか」

comments on Kandoku Shikkaku from director Hideaki Anno
"Why did I want to make this movie?"

2010年02月、(本作の製作を務める)甘木さんから電話があった。「平野さんの新作映画を共同で作りませんか」という話だった。新劇場版エヴァの制作や社長業等で時間的、精神的な余裕はなく「これは引き受けると大変だなぁ」と思いつつも「やりますよ」と即答していた。
 聞いたタイトルが直感的に良かったのと、なにより、平野さんに恩返しをしたかったからだ。

2010 Feb I got a phone call from Amagi-san (who worked in the production team of this movie). It was about "do you want to make a new film from Hirano-san together?". Although at that time I was short of time and mental energy because of the making of Rebuild Eva and worrking as a company CEO and I thought "if I agree to take this it will be tough.", I immediately answered "I'll do it.". I felt in my guts that the title I heard was a good one, but more than that, I wanted to repay Hirano-san.

1997年05月、甘木さんの勧めで『由美香』を観た。旧劇場版エヴァの制作中で心がボロボロに疲弊しきっていた時だった。アニメーションでは表現できない「映像の力」がそこにあった。
 そして、映像に切り取られ、紡がれていた由美香さんと平野さん自身の姿に「この人たちには、とてもかなわない・・・」と思った。そのことで、大げさな言葉を使えば「救われた」感じがした。
 恩返しとは、その感覚が閉塞しきっていた当時の僕の心を解放してくれたからだ。

1997 May at the recommendation of Amgai-san I watched "Yumika". It was the time when I was mentally absolutely tired and worn down with the making of the old Eva movie. The "power of images" that could not be expressed by animation was there. And looking at the images of Yumika-san and Hirano-san himself captured and weaved together, I thought "I cannot overtake these people..". And due to that to use some exaggerated expression I felt "I was saved".
For repaying, it is because it helped free my heart which was totally closed up by that feeling.

2010年03月、平野さんと会った。由美香さんの告別式で声をかけられなかった時以来だった。呑みながら何を映画にしたいのかを聞いた。その動機も聞いた。「由美香にケリ付けないと何も次が出来ない。その為にもう一度由美香と向き合う」という気持ちは、エヴァの呪縛から逃れる為に、またエヴァを作っている僕と似た感じがした。うなずきながら、平野さんの話を黙々と聞いていた。
 そして、その構想案から恩返しなどという想いで作れる映画ではなく、製作(プロデュース)には相当な「覚悟」が必要な事もわかった。
 日本酒を流し込んで「手伝いますよ」と約束した。
 ヒト一人の死を真正面から背負ってでも、平野さんには前に進んで欲しかったからだ。

2010 March, I met Hirano-san. It was the first time we met since I could not manage to greet him at the farewell ceremony of Yumika-san. While we drank, I asked him what movie he wanted to make. I also asked him what will be his motivation. I could feel that the feeling coming from his answer "If I do not put a break with Yumika behind me I cannot do anything next. Because of that I will face Yumika once again." was similar to what I felt when I was making Eva again in order to escape from the cursed embrace of Eva. I just listened quietly to Hirano-san and just kept nodding.
And then I knew that this is not a movie that can be made just with the thought of repayment by turning that general idea into a movie. There must be quite a bit of "mental preparation" in doing production work.
And I promised him "I will help you" while I drank up the sake. As I wanted Hirano-san to move forward even if it means confronting face on to the death of one human individual.

2010年10月、3回目の編集ラッシュでようやく平野監督作品に出会えた。
 そのラストシーンでは、ひたすら泣いた。
 正気ではとても向き合えないような編集作業を経て、ついに終極に至った平野さんの「想い」を考えると、涙を流すしか出来なかったからだ。その時、この映画を製作して「本当に良かった」と思った。

2010 October, after the third edit rush, I finally came to see the result from director Hirano.
I just kept crying at the last scene. I could only shed tears when I thought about the feeling of Hirano-san, who was chased to the breaking point by the process of editing work that any sane person would not be able to tackle. At that time I thought "it was good" to get this movie made.

2011年03月、『監督失格』の完成零号試写が行われた。
 これで平野さんが、次回作に進める事を願う。
 そして今はただ、本作品を観て欲しいと思う。この作品を僕の言葉で伝える事は、難しいからだ。

2011 March the test showing of the version 0 of the completed work of "Kandoku Shikkaku" was held. And with this Hirano-san now hopes to move on to his next work. And now I just want everyone to go and watch this work. As it would be difficult to describe this work with my words.

改めて、由美香ママと弟さんに感謝いたします。
 ありがとうございました。

プロデューサー 庵野秀明 (2011年03月09日 晴れの日に カラーにて)

Again, I would like to give my thanks to the mother and younger brother of Yumika-san. Thank you.

Producer Hideaki Anno (at Khara in a sunny day 2011 Mar 09)

EDIT: Added back the translaton of エヴァの呪縛から逃れる為に as pointed out by 1731298478. Thanks.
Last edited by symbv on Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
now here I am.
Asuka FAN FOREVER

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:54 am

Thanks, symbv! I think you might have accidentally missed translating the line Xard was interested in, though. "エヴァの呪縛から逃れる為に." Maybe "in order to escape the curse of Eva" or "in order to be free of the spell of Eva" ??

This comment reminded me of some of the things Miyazaki and Anno said in the interview from the Sahara trip. (Taken from this page: [url]http://homepage3.nifty.com/mana/miyazaki-annno.html[/url])

For example, and assuming I understood things correctly:

宮崎: [...] とにかく、「エヴァンゲリオン」で庵野が成功したことはよかったと思っている。仕事をするチャンスや発言力が増えるから。あとは「エヴァンゲリオン」の亡霊からなるべく早く抜け出して。「あの『エヴァンゲリオン』の庵野さん」って、これから10年、20年、言われ続けてたら、かなわないものね。
Miyazaki: Anyway, I think it's good that you had success with Evangelion. It gives you an opportunity to work and an influential voice. Besides that, escape from the ghost of Evangelion as fast as possible. You can't be "that Mr. Anno who made Evangelion" 10 or 20 years from now.

庵野 そうなんですよ。
Anno: I know!

宮崎 だから、今後一切、『エヴァンゲリオン』に手を出さない方がいいと思う。
Miyazaki: So, I think you should keep your hands off Evangelion entirely from here on out.

庵野 その辺は大丈夫です。もう、ツキモノは落ちましたから。それで、取あえずは少女漫画(彼氏彼女の事情)をやろうと思うんですけれど。(笑)
Don't worry about that. The evil spirit has already gone. So, I'm going to do shoujo manga (His and Her Circumstances) for now. (laughs)

[...]

宮崎 あの実写(ラブ&ポップ)は、『エヴァンゲリオン』の厄落としみたいなものなの(笑)?
Miyazaki: Isn't that film (Love and Pop) something like an exorcism of Evangelion? (laughs)

庵野 はっきり言っちゃえば、そうですね(笑)。
Anno: To put it bluntly, yes, it is. (laughs)

Anyway, it seems that Anno is still struggling with this, and that he views the Hirano film along these lines. In this way, maybe it makes sense to do it at Khara.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:30 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:In that sense I get the feeling he's making it more for himself than for anyone else. Finally seeing 2.0 a couple months ago made me more convinced of this than ever.

Anno already compared the original production to a "masturbation show" -- people looking on as he pleasures himself.

Now, go watch the beginning of EoE again with that in mind. :devil:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: Kandokuj Shikkaku - translation of Anno interview

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:30 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:^ So Anno also needs closure from the grimdark EoE, huh? I just hope that he would do something like Re-take and get some ultimately good ending for the characters he created (and then abused).

That is but one aspect of my Grand Theory of WTF Rebuild Is, but yes, I am guessing that the characters will end up earning their happy ending this time around. Not before going through hell first, though.

@Reichu: I always preferred his description of Evangelion as "a scream". It's totally fitting, and totally true, and that's exactly what makes the series so personal and haunting.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:20 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:That is but one aspect of my Grand Theory of WTF Rebuild Is, but yes, I am guessing that the characters will end up earning their happy ending this time around.

"Happy endings" represent what amounts to a transient state of being. Happiness must be pursued constantly; one cannot simply "earn an ending" that will be forever in one's grasp. Though I guess if the last thing you see in the story are people who are happy right that moment, it can give you a nice fuzzy warm feeling... but it's all pish-posh. :p

In other words, you are wishing a terrible, un-Evangelion thing upon Evangelion. Shame on you!

I always preferred his description of Evangelion as "a scream". It's totally fitting, and totally true, and that's exactly what makes the series so personal and haunting.

I haven't heard the "scream" thing before. Where's it from?

I don't see why one description has to be preferred over the other. They're both true. And the "masturbation show" thing is hilarious.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:In other words, you are wishing a terrible, un-Evangelion thing upon Evangelion. Shame on you!

Ah, but you haven't heard the rest of what my Grand Theory is. I won't write it up now, as it could conceivably take me FOREVER, but suffice to say I have taken this into account!

I haven't heard the "scream" thing before. Where's it from?

I read somewhere that Anno once said Evangelion shouldn't be analyzed as it is "just a scream". I don't know the source, but it certainly sounds like something he'd say.

I don't see why one description has to be preferred over the other. They're both true. And the "masturbation show" thing is hilarious.

I said I preferred it, as I find it more apt. (I've seen plenty of films I'd describe as cinematic masturbation, but Evangelion isn't the first that comes to mind.) You can prefer whatever you like, sister.

Return to “Related to the Filmmakers and Artists”