What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 pm

Woke up early so I could catch up on Big Hero 6: The Series at noon. The episode was about Hiro, Fred, and Baymax snooping in on Gogo's private alone time in the woods where she likes to secretly go bird watching. One thing I am noticing is that Baymax being a personal healthcare companion is being given the instructor role in describing bacteria that appear in hot tubs as well as identifying a dung beetle. I also couldn't help but kind of agree with mountain man saying that technology will doom us all in the future since I kind of believe in that apocalyptic world shown in Terminator and The Matrix where the machines will one day kill us and/or enslave us. But that's just a crackpot theory, right? :bigeyes: :???:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:01 pm

The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series. Flawed masterpiece. More of a journey over a destination thing. Episode 5 is some of the best television horror I have ever seen.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 pm

^ I had someone recommend this show to me too. They described as both "predictable in places" but "throughly enjoyable" so definitely gonna check it out now.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:01 pm

I have a hard time describing it without giving it away. Parts of it are phenomenal, parts of it are... not, but the overall experience is worth ten hours of your time. The show itself is beautiful (thought very dark- I mean literally, as befits much of it taking place in an old hulk of a house)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:25 pm

Rewatched much of Season 4 of Bosch. S5 can't get here fast enough. Supremely comfy procedural cop show.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Haunting of Hill House Netflix series. Flawed masterpiece. More of a journey over a destination thing. Episode 5 is some of the best television horror I have ever seen.

Nice. Will make a effort to watch the 2 films for the 1st time & start the show.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:49 pm

You can skip the 1999 movie, it's a travesty. If you want a fuller experience of the miniseries, read the book first. It's pretty short and it's a classic.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:40 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You can skip the 1999 movie, it's a travesty. If you want a fuller experience of the miniseries, read the book first. It's pretty short and it's a classic.

I'd agree with that though I did find some of the imagery in the 1999 movie really unsettling but its not true to the original at all but if you ever wanted to write a horror novel and needed nightmare ideas for an insane asylum the 1999 has some really terrible stuff going on that's very fitting.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:02 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I have a hard time describing it without giving it away. Parts of it are phenomenal, parts of it are... not, but the overall experience is worth ten hours of your time. The show itself is beautiful (thought very dark- I mean literally, as befits much of it taking place in an old hulk of a house)

I totally understand, tring to describe a show is difficult without giving away certain things. But thank you for the good recommendation ^_^

Also, just finished watching an Aussie series called Rake. Fifth season came out, little disappointed that its the final season, but it was fucking hilarious. Show's about a drugged up, drunkass barrister in Sydney who makes loads of bad choices(personally and professionally), but always still ends up somehow winning his court cases. Definitely worth a watch if you like humor, the law, and hearing the word "fuckwit" a whole lot.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:20 pm

Let's see... Amazon Prime just got a bunch of new stuff in, so I'm currently doing a much needed rewatch of Babylon 5 (currently in season 4), which will be followed by Battlestar Galactica, and then the three Stargate series.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:36 pm

Watched "The Underdwellers" episode of Batman: The Animated Series. For the entire run of it, I was so convinced that Mark Hamill was the voice of the Sewer King given how similar he sounded to the Joker but imagine my surprise at finding out that it was in fact Michael Pataki from Rocky 4 and Halloween 4.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:52 am

Anyone watching HBO's Chernobyl?
Absolutely superb, probably my favorite season of tv after or on par with True Detective S1.
Other then a few small timeline discrepancies (the helicopter crash was months later then the show placed it, the red forest didn't turn red overnight) and 1 fictional amalgam character (emily watson) the show appears to be extremely faithful to what happened in real life.

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Rewatched much of Season 4 of Bosch. S5 can't get here fast enough. Supremely comfy procedural cop show.

Watched S5, not as good as S4 but still great. Bosch like Justified is extremely consistent in quality. ^_^

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:34 pm

It’s the best thing HBO has put out in a long time.
the prophecy is true

xtr00kvltcorex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby xtr00kvltcorex » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:42 am

Big Little Lies, Euphoria, Good Girls, Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba and Attack on Titan.
I’m spinning
Faster than the earth
I’m shining
Brighter than the stars

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Too Old to Die Young- Refn at his most self indulgant and I am loving every neon-drenched, panning shot, pauses-in-dialouge second of it. If Only God Forgives was too slow for you, don't even bother trying.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:47 am

Another Life Netflix.

This is like 13 reasons why kind of characters meets sci-fi accept totality insane with no idea of what the show is or where its going there so many sex scene and forced relationships in this its just insane. The tragic part is they have all these pc characters but they never use them small example the doctors transgender but this is never mentioned openly. Like I don't want say this is bad because some people might enjoy the ride.

I just couldn't the childish bickering and stupidity of the characters is jarring with unnecessary relationships everywhere (As everyone has to be in a relationship in this show no ones allowed to be single who is on the space crew) which just kept jarring me out and the real tragedy off this, is this had promise and real good ideas but its just ruined by the writers, who have no idea what direction there going in and its even more saddening when you can see Katee Sackhoff giving it her all as best she can and trying her best even though what she's acting off is terrible.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Another Life Netflix.

This is like 13 reasons why kind of characters meets sci-fi accept totality insane with no idea of what the show is or where its going there so many sex scene and forced relationships in this its just insane. The tragic part is they have all these pc characters but they never use them small example the doctors transgender but this is never mentioned openly. Like I don't want say this is bad because some people might enjoy the ride.

I just couldn't the childish bickering and stupidity of the characters and jarring in unnecessary relationships everywhere (As everyone has to be in a relationship in this show no ones allowed to be single ho is on the space crew) which just kept jarring me out and the real tragedy off this, is this had promise and real good ideas but its just ruined by the writers, who have no idea what direction there going in and its even more saddening when you can see Katee Sackhoff giving it her all as best she can and trying her best even though what she's acting off is terrible.

Check out Longmire for a good recent show with Sackhoff.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:17 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Check out Longmire for a good recent show with Sackhoff.

Thank you I'll check that out :D

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:09 pm

Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. I'm halfway through the series and loving it. So much attention to detail in the scenery, the puppeteer work is exemplary, the story is moving at a good pace, a good blend of humor and drama. Also, The Hunter's design is way too fucking cool!
SPOILER: Show
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:33 am

View Original PostKazuki_Fuse wrote:Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance. I'm halfway through the series and loving it. So much attention to detail in the scenery, the puppeteer work is exemplary, the story is moving at a good pace, a good blend of humor and drama. Also, The Hunter's design is way too fucking cool!

I was about to review this but you beat me to it, so all I'm gonna say is this is brilliant it totally embraces everything that made the film so brilliant and you should watch it, its an utter master piece that builds on the lore and story that are in the books and graphic novels. Its also got some super dark 80's humour and pulls no punches in terms of its themes and violence and it will make you cry in places and I'm not even gonna do spoilers on this, because I don't want to spoil anything for you.

Personally though I love all the skeksis in different ways but my favourite is The heretic.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:29 pm

I'm watching an episode marathon on the old Law and Order series (the original) from its 9th season (1998-1999). Classic.

^_^

Return to “Film and Video”