What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:54 pm

The wife and I have been binging on Steven Universe recently. I'm enjoying the periodic homages to Evangelion (among other things). Really great show.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Huh... Hadn't noticed much in the way of homages. What are you referring to? Worth adding to the thread on that subject?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:10 pm

I'm aware of three very deliberate homages to Eva so far. There's also a bunch of other similarities that you can interpret. I'm taking mental notes at the moment, I'm thinking about making a video once I catch up to where the show is. I'm only halfway through season 2 at the moment.

But, aside from the obvious "Congratulations!" and EoE beach scene homages, there's also an homage to Episode 1 of Eva when Shinji is in the entry plug for the first time and it fills with LCL. In the episode "Road Trip", Steven boards Peridot's escape pod, and at a point, it fills up with liquid in the very same manner.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!) BD

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:12 am

Watching SciFi Channel's The Expanse.

They spend $16 million per episode on this show, due to their use of 3d printers to create props and set pieces.

And does it look it? At times; there's still awkward CGI moments, but I was actually impressed by how awesome the set for the "space pod" looked in episode 1. I thought for sure that this meant that they were going to set a good part of the show in it, but no, it was gone by episode 3.

"Belter" culture and their "creole" language makes me think of the Afrikaners. Their hairdos are reminiscent of the early 90s... my mind swears that I saw Dominique Tipper on Sesame Street.

The "Lunarian" condition from Planetes is here in full force, and both Martians and Belters wear it as a matter of pride, even though... yeah, they're physically weaker than "Earthers" because of it. It's also a form of torture to put one of them in 1G.

The strange thing is that this is a story set in the 23rd century, the time of Kirk, but it has a human civilization that still hasn't gone outside the Solar System. But that's what makes it fascinating for me; a look at what a near-future for us could be like, with sub-light-propelled spaceships instead of Star trek faire, where isolation and logistic constraints can still throttle us.

However, there is one group looking to go interstellar. I swear they steal the scene whenever they pop-up, almost like they're compensating for being left out of Babylon 5.

SPOILER: Show

And dear lord, the heroes. It's like in KOTOR, wherever they go, destruction follows them. They literally say to themselves "Yeah, people are going to think we're terrorists". But the genre-savviness cuts both ways, it gets a bit hammy when "Holden" gives his "I'm a big damn hero" speech. Also a bit disingenuous, considering it's really Noami whose leading them 80% of the time.

Regardless, it's an expensive looking sci-fi soap opera, with a noir undercurrent, and set in a time & place I haven't gotten to explore visually since Nexus: The Jupiter Incident. It definitely fills a space for me.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!) BD

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:53 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote:Watching SciFi Channel's The Expanse.
The books (or at least the first three, the ones that I've read) aren't bad space opera, even if there is one bit near the climax where conservation of angular momentum gets taken out behind the barn. It sounds like the adaptation is being a credible one.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 am

Just caught up and watched the second to last episode of Bones. I'll admit the show had a rough time for a few seasons with their storyline, but their final season (season 12) has certainly stepped up the game back to what the show was when it started. The series finale airs next week, which should be interesting considering how the most recent episode ended on a cliffhanger.

Also, just binge watched the new season of Grace & Frankie, cause that show is funny as hell, the entire premise is just great, and this season's "vibratory for older women" plot is just so good in so many ways.

Also recently got hooked on How to Get Away with Murder, Viola Davis really does a wonderful job on that show. Found it a few months ago on Netflix, and just binged season 3. Can't wait for season 4 sometime later this year.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:49 pm

Samurai Jack last night earned it's place on Adult Swim.

She wasn't wearing a leotard, Ashi was naked the whole time.

And a certain bad guy used the word "Penis' to describe somebody. I knew this was Adult Swim and I shouldn't have been shocked, but it really caught me off guard to hear that kind of language coming out of Samurai Jack.

I knew Gendy was going to take this into a little bit more adult territory. But I think it may have been pushing a just a little too far.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:21 pm

^ Been watching it too, this season has been great and i have really enjoyed the full use adult swim as far as content is concerned (that joke had me laughing for a good minute). Makes the 13 year wait for a conclusion seem not so bad.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 1:09 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Samurai Jack last night earned it's place on Adult Swim.

She wasn't wearing a leotard, Ashi was naked the whole time.

And a certain bad guy used the word "Penis' to describe somebody. I knew this was Adult Swim and I shouldn't have been shocked, but it really caught me off guard to hear that kind of language coming out of Samurai Jack.

I knew Gendy was going to take this into a little bit more adult territory. But I think it may have been pushing a just a little too far.

If it's any consolation, whatever was stuck on her body was so thick and tough it took a night of scrubbing with a chunk of rock to get it all off. Not sure if that's better or worse than a skintight leotard or any of the clothes Jack tends to wear, which generally take heavy damage if he's badly hurt.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon May 01, 2017 9:06 am

I have been watching the original Transformers and ok, while it might not be the deepest show I have been absolutely in love! I'd been to Transformers panels at cons because I was curious and done a little research before but I never really was sold on it. People always brought up how serious it was or the backstory or other honestly boring things. Someone really should've told me "Robots with the personalities of children." It's been really cute! Seriously, I laugh out loud multiple times each episode and these serious battles seem to play out more like kids playing tag most of the time. I love shows where robots act like people as well. There have been silly scenes where they give each other massages or drink oil from a big gulp and other silly human moments that I love in anime or cartoons. Unfortunately I was bit by the toy collecting bug and have a big order of Transformers coming in as well. Very dangerous show to get invested in. I'm about halfway through season 2 and am looking forward to seeing the movie after I finish that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 1:06 am

Twin Peaks.

This is one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon May 08, 2017 7:33 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Twin Peaks.

Not until you watch American Gods.

I just finished a rewatch of Twin Peaks about a month ago, and was certain that with Lynch helming all 18 episodes of the new series that it was gonna be the most bizarre, surreal TV show of the 2017 calendar year. The pilot episode of American Gods has improbably planted a HUGE hurdle for mindfuckery. And it's fucking gorgeous-looking.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 7:46 pm

Haven't watched it yet.

Did they have the scene where Bast
swallows someone whole with her privates?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Mon May 08, 2017 9:52 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Did they have the scene where Bast

Yes. That's the scene I don't think Lynch will be able to top in terms of sheer WTF.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:41 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Haven't watched it yet.

Did they have the scene where Bast

It wasn't Bast, it was Bilquis, the Queen of Sheba. Completely different deity.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 09, 2017 9:06 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Not until you watch American Gods.

I just finished a rewatch of Twin Peaks about a month ago, and was certain that with Lynch helming all 18 episodes of the new series that it was gonna be the most bizarre, surreal TV show of the 2017 calendar year. The pilot episode of American Gods has improbably planted a HUGE hurdle for mindfuckery. And it's fucking gorgeous-looking.

What I like about Twin Peaks is that it takes a series of things that, out of context, look like jokes and makes them deeply unsettling somehow.

A random barbershop quarter and a lady with a talking log and a llama out of nowhere all sound funny out of context but it's all very unnerving.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 12, 2017 9:06 pm

I have finished all of Twin Peaks, including Fire Walk With Me. I also read The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

My main take away from this series is that if I should I ever be in the woods and encounter a six foot tall owl on the ground I am going to light that motherfucker up like Christmas.

Oh and
1. The whole town is a mill for "garmonbozia", the spiritual energy of pain and suffering that the inhabitants of the Lodge feed on. That's why the opening credits of the show are set against a sawmill blade being sharpened by an automated machine.

2. There is no White Lodge and Black Lodge. The good/evil dichotomy is imposed on the creatures of the Lodge by humans trying to force something they don't understand. The determining factor of whether a human becomes trapped in the "Black" lodge or ascends to the "White" lodge is whether they can fully express their will. Laura Palmer ascends at the end of Fire Walk With Me because she is able to successfully resist BOB; Cooper fails because he offers himself in exchange for Annie- the Lodge doesn't care that Cooper is surrendering himself for the sake of another person; selflessness is irrelevant. The love that's required to open the gate to the White Lodge isn't erotic, filial, or parental love, it's Thelemic self-love (Thelema is heavily referenced in The Secret History- it's straight up mentioned in the book, including Crowley by name and a long section on Jack Parsons)

3. The Lodge is a basically a Lovecraftian version of the Buddhist Nirvana- one ascends by become disconnected from the world, but since this is a horror story it's disconnection in a negative way. Coop cares too much about people to disconnect from the world, and Earle is too concerned about worldly power, thinking the Black Lodge will give him magic powers; Laura Palmer lives a kind of inverted perverse monasticism by indulging in vice until she becomes completely numb with her final enlightment in the form of choosing to die rather than be corrupted by BOB.

It's a weird, amoral, deeply unsettling take on the spiritual theme of escape from the mundane world of suffering.
the prophecy is true

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Mon May 22, 2017 12:41 am

new season of Twin Peaks is insane. I love it so far.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 22, 2017 1:52 am

You know we're not going to get any answers unless Mark Frost really tamed Lynch's stream of consciousness tendencies.

...and I don't care because it's all so beautifully insane.

The Evolution of the Arm was one of the more unnerving things I've ever seen, beating out only the prison interrogation scene and the horrifying glass box scene.
the prophecy is true

robersora
Laissez-faire in Moderation
Laissez-faire in Moderation

•      
  •      

Postby robersora » Tue May 30, 2017 11:06 am

I've always loved David Lynch's movies. He produced the most powerfully frightening and funny scenes I've ever witnessed. I had my problems with Twin Peaks. I've tried watching the show 3 years ago, and while there are amazing scenes in it, somewhere along the meandering second season I've completely lost interest. It wasn't bad... It was just too much 90's wacky series stuff and too little what I want out of David Lynch.

So I've watched a fast recap of what happened and turned into season 3.

In Twin Peaks Season 3 he is back in full force. It's hillarious, it's gruesome, it's wacky, it's slow, but not boring. It's weird, but it's parsable so far. If the first 4 Episodes are any indication, this might turn out to be another addition his many master pieces.#

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Twin Peaks.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Not until you watch American Gods.

I've seen a trailer, and the visuals looked gorgeous. I feared that it would be ultimately just effects for the sake of effects. Tell me, is my fear unfounded?
2Q||3.33 _ 神殺しを行う
Decadent Stoned Slacker Socialist

Return to “Film and Video”