What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:06 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sherlock... I thought they were losing it in the second episode of this season, but the last one just went completely crazy. Oh, the players acted their characters just fine, but - well, the whole thing was just so stupid I can't call it anything other than a complete waste of time. What a way to wreck a franchise!

That's a shame, as I was thinking of digging into it at some point. But between my dislike of Cumberbatch and the bad reviews for the new season I'm thinking I should maybe steer clear.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Am I the only person in the world who is simply indifferent to Cumberbatch?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:47 pm

Having seen him live on stage (in Frankenstein), I can say that indifference does him a disservice.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:17 pm

Netflix's "A Series of Unfortunate Events"

I have to say, I can't wait for the next season. This show is quite faithful o the books, even putting in the character of Snicker, who's asides in the books are even faithfully transcribed to the show.

Neil Patrick Harris does a wonderful and sinister yet still goofy and ridiculous Count Olaf, much better than Jim Carrey's portrayal in the bomb of a movie.

Overall, I'd recommend this to anyone who read the books, or is looking for somethin interesting and funny to watch.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:07 am

Is anyone else watching The Young Pope? I find it rather marvelous.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:57 pm

I binged ASH VS EVIL DEAD Season One.

It's entertaining, but make no mistake it's lowbrow. But it's the best kind of Lowbrow. It plays fast and loose with the continuity and it's own internal logic, it has Cheesy special effects even by the standards of this franchise, and I loved every minute.

Bruce Campell has great comedic timing, and strings one liners like the best of the 80's action heroes. I like how it fleshes out Ash's Bravado, gung ho hero personality, and general man-child attitude towards life being a defense mechanism to help him cope with his loss. Which lets face it, you don't survive an encounter with lovecraftian nightmares and don't walk away without a few scars.

I also like the supporting cast of Pablo and Kelly who play Ash's sidekicks. Amanda fisher as Jill the police officer also allows for the series to play its horror shockingly straight. Seeing her and Ash play off each other is like the best of Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Also. Blood. Gallons of it, gushing out of people like an Akira Kurosawa film.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:27 pm

Part of the reason the continuity is weird is because they can't directly reference Army of Darkness due to rights issues.

The other reason is that it's always been weird. Evil Dead II is a remake that presents itself as a sequel for some reason.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:02 pm

Yes to both the last two mentioned.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:49 pm

I finished The People vs O.J. Simpson last night. Great show and very relevant.

The sheer 90s of it with all the VHS tapes and smoking at work and Kato Kaelin was just bizarre.

I found Kardashian to be the most interesting and sympathetic character,
SPOILER: Show
watching him go from complete faith in OJ to doubt to the horrifying realization that he was party to getting a murderer set free was fascinating. I didn't think Schwimmer had tha kind of range either.

I was doubly amazed how the cast looks so much like the people they portrayed. The only exceptions would be Cuba Gooding Jr and John Travolta. Cuba doesn't look anything like OJ and Travolta just looks like Travolta.

The show was fairly agnostic about whether Simpson did it or not, but I don't see how anyone could think he didn't after all that and how weak the defenses case was.
the prophecy is true

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:08 pm

I'm digging the Young Pope, but it's so weird... Just all over the place in tone. The intro especially; I like it, but I'm not sure it suits the rest of the show that well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:03 pm

I'm not sure I grasp the tone of it either.

It is a bizarre show, very surreal at times. I think the goal of the show is for you to question what's going on in Lenny's head, even as we have insights into it.
the prophecy is true

Director Black
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Director Black » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:44 am

I'm currently catching up on the first two episodes of CNN's miniseries 'The History of Comedy'...and it's pretty solid. The first episode went a lot into depth on what makes shock humor effective in the likes of people like Lenny Bruce, George Carlin, or Richard Pryor in comparison to people like Andrew Dice Clay.

The second episode dealt with the history of women in comedy, and was equally investing. I loved seeing the differences in how many female comedians offer they're take on humor (Where even if you don't like comedians like Amy Schumer, Samantha Bee, or Sarah Silverman, you can respect how unique they are in the world of comedy) in comparison to a mostly male dominated area. It was particularly interesting for me to see women in older sitcoms like The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Dick Van Dyke in how they stood out to other portrayls of women in sitcoms both in the past and and today.

I really hope to see the next one ASAP to see what the topic is going to be.
Anywhere Can Be Paradise as Long As I Have the Will to Live...

...after all, I am Alive, So I'll Always Have the Chance to Be Happy.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:23 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Is anyone else watching The Young Pope? I find it rather marvelous.

I'm just about to finish it. It's been quite a ride. A bit at a loss for words currently, since it's rather unlike nearly anything else I've seen. "Sublime" could be a way to put it.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:54 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Is anyone else watching The Young Pope? I find it rather marvelous.

Marathoned it out of curiosity. First few episodes was like listening to Kid Rock and Eminem at full volume.

Then it was... Like mind-blowing!

One may not like him but some of his statements hammer home. Lenny would be forever called "The Iconoclast". This show's for keeps, makes me hanker for a sequel or something, to see where Lenny's going just like King Ralph, but that's all ten episodes.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

The walking dead...and it goes with out saying that I wish they'd kill Nagan already... :irked:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:37 pm

It's so good to have Samurai Jack back.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:07 pm

Since you brought it up the new Samurai Jack mini series premiere was awesome.

I like how it emphasized how many hard choices he had to make to get where he is right now. t

He still wants to help and he does. But he knows he can't save everyone, so he has to make hard choices. Jack at the start of the first season would have gone to the burning Village to try and save as many people as he can. But at the start of this season he knows that he's not as young as he used to be, and that he can't save everyone. Every time he goes into battle against one of Akus cronies is a chance he could die ,and if he dies there will be nobody left who can stand against Aku. He knows he can't afford to take as many risks as he could in the past.

Also he uses guns and wears space age armor now. When you're in a world where everything is trying to kill you it makes sense to adapt to survive.

I also really like the nightmare fuel that would have never flown on Cartoon Network back in the day. It's really freaking disturbing to see a woman give birth to demon Babies in that adorable 1990's-2000's Cartoon Network Style.

backseatjesus
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby backseatjesus » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:29 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Since you brought it up the new Samurai Jack mini series premiere was awesome.

I like how it emphasized how many hard choices he had to make to get where he is right now. t

He still wants to help and he does. But he knows he can't save everyone, so he has to make hard choices. Jack at the start of the first season would have gone to the burning Village to try and save as many people as he can. But at the start of this season he knows that he's not as young as he used to be, and that he can't save everyone. Every time he goes into battle against one of Akus cronies is a chance he could die ,and if he dies there will be nobody left who can stand against Aku. He knows he can't afford to take as many risks as he could in the past.

Also he uses guns and wears space age armor now. When you're in a world where everything is trying to kill you it makes sense to adapt to survive.

I also really like the nightmare fuel that would have never flown on Cartoon Network back in the day. It's really freaking disturbing to see a woman give birth to demon Babies in that adorable 1990's-2000's Cartoon Network Style.

Jack actually is as young as he used to be. Well, at least physically. Something to do with traveling through time has caused him to stop aging (or at least, it's what Jack suspects is the reason). And his armor I think is based upon samurai armor with a bit of a twist.

I rewatched the series over the last few weeks to refresh myself, and there was a bit of nightmare fuel in the show that I was surprised by. The haunted house episode and the zombie episode are disturbing. Reflecting on the show, it's surprising how mature it feels. While it has its ridiculous moments (like Jack being turned into a chicken episode), even in those episodes, it doesn't feel completely stupid. I think the show has aged quite well. Oh, and the backgrounds are absolutely beautiful.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:20 pm

Trying to watch Stranger Things because younger acquaintances were talking about it and its association with Eggos.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:57 pm

Just finished up Rectify. It's an interesting show.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”