What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Paracletus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Paracletus » Tue May 06, 2014 3:27 am

The theremin bed scene in the 10th episode of Hannibal was brilliant. Also it's a delight to see how they play on 'Will's descent' theme and actually took time to explain Mason's pig 'design'.
View Original PostEleven wrote:And also
SPOILER: Show
Did he really kill Lounds? Really? :bigeyes: I haven't read the novels, so I was hoping that she might be shown alive and well at the very end of the episode and Will having served some animal (apperently not pig) to Hannibal. But it seems, my hopes were in vain. Will turns into a monster himself. I am not pleased. :irked: At least I must agree to Chuckman: "You cut the ginger." Epic.

I think that
while they explore Will' and Hannibal's similarities, philosophies and connection without any tongue in cheek (Mads' eyes when Will seemed to embrace the whole 'deeds of God' point of view were pretty genuine, as if he felt accepted for the first time, and that's surprisingly touching even without big emphasis on the subject), still it's very possible that all is gonna turn out with Will outsmarting Hannibal with the whole 'I'm like you now' attitude, while simultaneously leading Jack's attention to Hannibal. Take in consideration the hair curl Will tore from Freddie's head (I thought the emphasis was strong), the talk of all having purpose, certain phrases said to Jack (with close shots of Jack's face after), etc. I might be wrong, but we don't even know who really built that 'saber-tooth monument' - I mean, Will could've been watching

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed May 07, 2014 9:54 am

LOL i love how freddie has a derringer (a pocket weapon designed for concealment) that has barrels the size of a 12 gauge shotgun.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 07, 2014 11:23 am

That's probably a Bond Arms derringer in .410/.45 Colt. It is a shotgun.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed May 07, 2014 10:57 pm

The Americans
"Stealth"

Things show no sign of slowing down... and with only 2 episodes remaining before season's end, things are most certainly going to get explosive.

So long, Kate; we hardly knew ye - looks like you won't be sticking your neck out for Phil and Elizabeth any more

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 10, 2014 10:13 am

this is priceless, “God Dammit Mason!”

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 10, 2014 10:19 am

You unfluffed my pilow
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Paracletus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Paracletus » Mon May 12, 2014 10:40 pm

I have no idea when Hannibal's gonna stop getting better and better.

Eleven,
TOLD YOU SO ^_^

Eleven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Eleven » Tue May 13, 2014 9:51 am

View Original PostParacletus wrote:I have no idea when Hannibal's gonna stop getting better and better.

Eleven,
TOLD YOU SO ^_^

It's getting harder and harder for me to watch, as the violence increases and is displayed in such an explicit way. I still like the story, but I don't like looking at people crawling out of dead horses ... or worse.

But
I am glad you were right, Paracletus, there has to be at least some reason left in Will!
I apologize for any grammar mistakes, as I am not a native speaker.

Paracletus
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Paracletus » Tue May 13, 2014 9:13 pm

View Original PostEleven wrote:It's getting harder and harder for me to watch, as the violence increases and is displayed in such an explicit way. I still like the story, but I don't like looking at people crawling out of dead horses ... or worse.

To the series credit, it's justified in every way possible. The violence in the previous movie adaptations of Hannibal was more of a lame excuse on a cursory theme of transformation (or was the surface reading of these themes a lame excuse to show some half-assed gore? either way, it wasn't that good). Here it's dealt with on a deeper, much more archetypal level, you can't imagine one without another. Sure, there are some stretches (as I've mentioned before, the one influenced by Damien Hirst's work is just out of character for Hannibal, not to say downright silly and over the top), but most of the stuff is very natural. Our subconscious is full of primal content, every individual transformation can be imagined in a primal and violent form. It's great that the series are brave enough to give this a full throttle, since it expands every theme, layer and shift.

The horse one is my favorite yet, by the way.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed May 14, 2014 1:00 pm

ITT: Hannibal is the only show on TV

EDIT: since the original image was removed for some reason, i found a much more fitting substitute, jic someone decides to revisit this thread and wonders what the hell is going on with this post
Last edited by Ænimal on Thu May 22, 2014 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 17, 2014 1:01 am

Speaking of Hannibal, tonight's episode was art. It took me a while to realize this show is a dark comedy.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat May 17, 2014 3:32 am

'Mason, what are your feeding to my Dogs?'
JESUSCHRISTINHEAVENFORFUCKSSAKE!

Omg mads mikkelsen's acting, the fucking subtlety is just mind blowing, when mason stabs his chair... Jesus Christ the suspense.
God i hope he gets cast as a cop in a future season of true detective so we can see him play a completely polar opposite of his hannibal role.

Omg I loved the scenes with Gillian Anderson, omg she looked so scared and alone when they first show her in the room, and then when she knows she is safe from prosecution she becomes this utter sultry wounded but strong femme fatale.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat May 17, 2014 5:27 am

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat May 17, 2014 7:56 am

^I think you missed the Weird Image Thread by a subforum or two.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat May 17, 2014 4:16 pm

Mason's POV while on Hannibal's LSD concoction is by far my favorite image of the series. The trippy circus music, the sparks, the insanity. I don't worship the altar of this TV series like a lot of people do but when they knock out a killer idea I am enchanted! And terrified.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat May 17, 2014 5:23 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:^I think you missed the Weird Image Thread by a subforum or two.

i don't cotton to people who don't take kindly to what i'm watching at a particular given moment in the non-linear progression of entropy :P

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat May 17, 2014 6:12 pm

HBO's Silicon Valley. I have been liking it so far until the latest episode (6) which I think dropped the ball in quite few places. Here's hoping it'll pick up soon enough.
The art of being grown up, the dirty little secret nobody lets on about, is that it's all about getting comfortable with acting the part, and reaching that point where you stop giving a fuck, and do stuff that needs to be done, because it just needs doing, and ain't nobody else going to do it for you. -Mr. Tines

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed May 21, 2014 7:32 pm

I am loving the bejeezus out of Ripper Street right now. Passing time until Mrs. Hobblin returns home and we can start working through Game of Thrones again.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed May 21, 2014 10:53 pm

The Americans Season 2 Episode 13 "Echo"

Ho Lee Chit; What a finale. From the looks of it, the next season is going to be even more intense, if that's even possible. It's too bad everyone else is watching Hannibal Burress or something so there isn't any real discussion going on regarding this series

Oh well - more for me :devil:

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Louie's fourth season does not disappoint. I thought maybe that given how much my tastes had changed between the third and fourth seasons I might watch it and realize I didn't like it anymore. It's still one of my favorite shows on television. Hilarious yet so heart-wrenchingly brutal. I feel sorry for the guy, but at the same time his misery is my comedy. But it shifts between comedy and melodrama really well, as the underlying idea is Louie's misery (it catches up to him even if something good happens) and the random weirdness of life (particularly in New York).

Another thing is that the show doesn't care for consistency, most of the time. Louis CK himself has said that he doesn't really care if the stuff that happens in one episode doesn't logically fit together with the stuff that happens in another. I think this really lets the stories stand by themselves, sort of like short films connected together by ideas rather than a strict continuity.

Return to “Film and Video”