What are you watching right now? (tv series + see OP!)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:14 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:It's the curse all long runners suffer from soon or later. I think they should make season 6 the conclusion and wrap everything up nicely before they jump the proverbial shark.

3 are usually more than enough for a show to start getting dull. When the novelty of the premise wears off, it really needs to rely on good writing and acting (e.g. The Wire), and even that can only go on for so long before the wheels fly off (e.g. X Files). Shows that seem to be pretty popular like Weeds or even Lost lost interest for me completely by the 3rd season.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:53 pm

Four seasons is usually when you start to see things going downhill IMO. Really, any show that doesn't see a significant decrease in quality after that time tend to be the formulaic ones (e.g. Seinfeld, L&O).
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:10 am

Watched The Event. It was pretty damn good.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:13 am

Battlestar Galactica miniseries with Oz today. As I remembered it was definetly good (the opening long shot was the most impressive part). I dropped series back in day because it aired in terrible timeslot and after missing 2-3 eps in a row during first season I just gave up on it...perhaps this time around I actually see the whole thing :P

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 am

I thought that the 3rd season of Dexter was alright. Not nearly as great as the 1st season of course, but still entertaining in its own right. Dexter having a sidekick was pretty cool, heh.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:28 am

@Xard: Don't bother, miniseries is really the only part which is really good. The show starts going to shit towards the end of season 2 (after the Pegasus arc), season 3 is completely unwatchable (due to the big writers' strike, to be fair) and season 4 is mostly okay until the most nonsensical cop-out ending of recent TV history. People complained about Lost's "Congratulations" end, but this is even worse.

Also Sharon/Boomer/whatever is one of the single worst female characters to ever ruin a show.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:06 pm

@Azathoth: Haters gonna hate. Moore trolled you successfully. :leekspin: In my opinion, the show picks up its pace during season 2 and the last two seasons are awesome.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:50 pm

Going to watch The Vampire Diaries tonight. It's going to take some serious doing to top last weeks episode.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Fri May 06, 2011 3:45 pm

Caught the season finale of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic today, and while it wasn't the best episode of the season it was still damn fine and was pretty darn funny. It was also surprisingly fast on the uptake, with plenty of reaction shots already hitting the netwaves.

Links here, for those who are interested.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Fri May 06, 2011 4:32 pm

I've bee watching 30 Rock. Watching it all in a row is helping me appreciate it much more than when my former roommates would just watch random episodes. Also, I sometimes forget how lovable Tina Fey can be.
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri May 06, 2011 7:57 pm

I finished The Wire. Season 5 was the first season that bordered on being unbelievable, which makes it all the more surprising a lot of it was based on a true story. But it was a great way to end the series overall. That series never failed to deliver at least one great surprise each season, with tons of really intricate, patient, and 3-dimensional character development. If I was ranking the seasons it would be:

1. S3
2. S2
3. S5
4. S1
5. S4

Now I've started Twin Peaks and I've just finished the first season. Damn, I'd forgotten how amazingly awesome it was...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri May 06, 2011 8:44 pm

Last nights The Vampire Diaries was really good. This show is on a serious roll.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun May 15, 2011 11:50 am

Since it was On Demand, I decided to watch the first two episodes of "The Looney Tunes Show."

Brother, what a way to run a railroad. If the rest of the show will be like the first couple of episodes I saw (with jokes anyone could make, music videos that have no point but to generate sales, interpretations that barely match with the original intent of the characters), then I'm in for a world of hurt.

Didn't help that I decided to watch a little bit of "Cow and Chicken" and "Ren and Stimpy" afterwards. Boy, the 90s sure were easier to cartoonists back then...
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon May 16, 2011 7:15 pm

Watched the excellent season finale for The Vampire Diaries again. It sets up some seriously awesome stuff for next season. It was a much better season finale then the lame one Fringe had.

Going to watch House tonight. It better not be disappointing.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Tue May 17, 2011 2:09 pm

Started watching a Korean drama called Alone in Love. The plot's kind of boring, but it has Son Ye-Jin in it, who I swear is the most beautiful actress out there right now. Mostly watching it because my little celebrity crush thingy on Ye-Jin sshi distracts me from my current romantic limbo.
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Starting Boardwalk Empire tonight. Expectations are very high.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 21, 2011 12:46 am

Watched the season finale of Supernatural. It was really good, and with a surprise ending thrown in for good measure. Next season show be pretty interesting.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Sat May 21, 2011 3:04 pm

Totally looking forward to The Office minus Steve Carell. The change up in dynamic has been promising, to say the least.

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Sat May 21, 2011 11:48 pm

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:Totally looking forward to The Office minus Steve Carell. The change up in dynamic has been promising, to say the least.

I haven't seen any of the post-Carrel episodes. How is Ferrell doing?
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Tue May 24, 2011 12:19 am

Watched the season finale of House and The Event.

House was alright and rather surprising, but I hate what a complete idiot they've turned him into.

The Event was pretty good, especially with what happened at the very end of the episode. It just sucks they cancelled the show so I'll never get to see what happens next. :dejected:

Return to “Film and Video”