I love NGE

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

plugger
Embryo

I love NGE

•      
  •      

Postby plugger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:33 am

Hey guys.

I apologize for my messy writing.
At the moment i have this strong urge to explain my feelings and opinion towards NGE. This is basically the main reason why i joined, even though i regularly visit this site to browse through some threads.

I was watching through NGE for the first time maybe 3 years ago, I was completely convinced that this is the very best series i've ever watched and the film EOE ranks amongst the best films i've seen. This is also the only movie that makes me cry. I've seen lots of films and animes and i still havn't find anything that is near NGE in terms of depth, character development. NGE is one of those few works that has the potential to deeply effect me psychologically and emotionally on a different level then i'm usually used to when watching films.

I decided to watch End of Evangelion for the third time yesterday, 1 year since the second viewing. And i realize now again how much i really love the entire NGE-saga. I cannot stop thinking about it.

I was once again blown away by the depth, the characters, basically the film itself. And from the point when everybody turns into LCL towards the final scene, i was so flooded with mixed emotions. Watching all those poor, lovely characters turning into a pool of LCL made me teary-eyed. Not only because i cared a lot for the characters, but also i was angry at the Human Instrumental Project and slightly happy at the same time because they looked so happy and satisfied when they "died". Especially dear Maya. After all, that's gotta be the best apocalypse ever x)

I'm completely flooded with overwhelming emotions. My heart is still aching and i can't stop thinking about the last 20 minutes..the apocalypse scene including the song "Komm, süsser Tod" is replaying itself over and over again when i start thinking about EOE. Which pops up in my mind right this morning when i woke up.

Anyway, when I finally finished i felt like i just experienced the whole series including the film all at once. All my favourite and most memorable scenes was passing my mind and I just sat there without moving an inch, still trying to cope with the mind-blowing brilliance, this boundless piece of art.. i mean how can a human mind generate this?
Last edited by plugger on Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

Re: I love NGE

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:48 am

Welcome, plugger! I'm guessing your post perfectly echoes the flood of emotions, thoughts, feelings, etc. that most of us around here had after finishing the series. It's a profound piece of art. IMO, the greatest of the 20th Century.

View Original Postplugger wrote:i mean how can a human mind generate this?
That's what we're all still here for trying to figure out.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:23 pm

Well, I'd say you're in the right place.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:50 pm

Welcome aboard, plugger.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:53 pm

Yeah, NGE is one of the few shows that never get boring- there's always something new to discover.

U seen teh Rebuilds yet?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

Stop being so sincere, damnit

I can't bring myself to say anything snarky

Travosaga
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Travosaga » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:04 pm

I know exactly how you feel. When I first watched Evangelion over 10 years ago, I remember feeling really depressed and emotional after finishing the series. Watching EoE only made that feeling worst. Each time I rewatch the series (I'm on number 5 now in celebration of 2.22 domestic release), the same feelings come back and nothing else I watch for like a month after feels quite as good. Eva to me is so good that it actually kills the enjoyment I get from other series.
Know thyself.

plugger
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby plugger » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:21 pm

Well actually, unlike many other fans i really dislike the remakes. They are too fast paced which makes character development barely existing in comparison with NGE. While the remakes are very dull and shallow, the series stands out because of the amazing character development and great depth.

But it's no wonder the remakes are built this way. They are made in order to attract a new and wider audience. So i think it's only logical that the films are more accessible and straight-forward.

IMHO, such a wonderful story like NGE is best told carefully one piece at a time, it should not be rushed!
Last edited by plugger on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:25 pm

View Original Postplugger wrote:Well actually, unlike many other fans i really dislike the remakes. They are too fast paced which makes character development barely existing in comparison with NGE. While the remakes are very dull and shallow, the series stands out because of the amazing character development and great depth.

IMHO, a story like NGE is best told carefully one piece at a time, not rushed.

Welcome aboard. And I completely understand that. It's just that, nowadays, everyone just want to see things beat the crap out of each other and see huge explosions, and completely forget the character development and plot. It is unfortunate.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Travosaga
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Travosaga » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:02 pm

I enjoy the remakes if only to see more Eva related stuff. I'm very eager to see how the story plays out since it looks like it's going to take a very serious turn after the events of 2.22.
Know thyself.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:35 pm

View Original Postplugger wrote:Well actually, unlike many other fans i really dislike the remakes. They are too fast paced which makes character development barely existing in comparison with NGE. While the remakes are very dull and shallow, the series stands out because of the amazing character development and great depth.

But it's no wonder the remakes are built this way. They are made in order to attract a new and wider audience. So i think it's only logical that the films are more accessible and straight-forward.

IMHO, such a wonderful story like NGE is best told carefully one piece at a time, it should not be rushed!

I agree, though I don't dislike Rebuild per se. It's entertaining, but so far it doesn't hold a candle to the original NGE. I also don't think it would be possible to make a better end to the series than EoE, so I'm sure I'm going to be disappointed with how it turns out, but oh well.

Great post though. I think most of here have similar, strong, fanwanky emotions towards Eva.

Sik
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sik » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:52 pm

Welcome m8 :)
The Beast!

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Another one joins the dust. :)
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Dark_Firestar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Dark_Firestar » Wed Mar 30, 2011 6:39 pm

There are 2 things I know that will never change in this world: 1) Neon Genesis Evangelion will be forever be the best of any Anime. 2) Evamonkey forums will be around for my children's children to enjoy and discuss Eva.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:45 pm

View Original PostTravosaga wrote:I enjoy the remakes if only to see more Eva related stuff. I'm very eager to see how the story plays out since it looks like it's going to take a very serious turn after the events of 2.22.

I deliberately chose NOT to watch any Rebuild because I intensely disliked the feeling of hanging in the middle and waiting for the next god-knows-when-it-will-come movie. I also had a feeling that it would mess up with the impression I had regarding Eva and its characters from the original series. If it is going to be messed up one way or another if I ever watch Rebuild, I would rather do it when the whole Rebuild series is done and finished.

By the way, Travosaga, I notice you have Kizumonogatari as your avatar (more precisely, Heart under the Blade). We have a thread that discusses Kizu you are welcome to join the discussion http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=11015
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Travosaga
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Travosaga » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:14 pm

I'm thinking about taking a trip to Japan to see the third and/or fourth movies when they come out. I imagine it will be right around the time I finish up my masters so I thought I could do it as a graduation present to myself. I better buy some rosetta stone software or something though.
Know thyself.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:40 am

View Original PostTravosaga wrote:I'm thinking about taking a trip to Japan to see the third and/or fourth movies when they come out.

Oh don't worry, in that case you have until like 2020 to get ready.

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:35 am

@plugger
i like u

plugger
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby plugger » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:46 pm

4 years ago when i didn't know about this forum barely had any free time to browse through the internet, i felt so alone after finishing NGE. I mean i had no one to discuss this with, i tried convincing family members and friends to watch this amazing piece of art and ofcourse no one understood the brilliance. So it was very frustrating :/ But now i'm glad to see so many fans with similar thoughts and opinions :P

juaxoo
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby juaxoo » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:49 pm

View Original Postplugger wrote:4 years ago when i didn't know about this forum barely had any free time to browse through the internet, i felt so alone after finishing NGE. I mean i had no one to discuss this with, i tried convincing family members and friends to watch this amazing piece of art and ofcourse no one understood the brilliance. So it was very frustrating :/ But now i'm glad to see so many fans with similar thoughts and opinions :P

this is probably one of the best places for ppl like us, i'd be suprised if u succeeded in convincing family members and friends...

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”