Is Kaworu gay?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Is Kaworu gay?

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:00 pm

C'mon, is he? When I ask this question, I'm not asking about Tabris the seventeenth angel. Supposedly, angels have no gender, so they can't be gay. But, is Kaworu Nagisa gay? What do you think?

_

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Space Penis » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:25 pm

I always figured it was a kinda platonic love.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:54 pm

I want to put this foward right now.

Kaworu is certainly a peculiar character in Neon Genesis: Evangelion. He betrays Shinji and turns out to be his enemy. But, something that still puzles all fans alike is, "How does he love Shinji?"

Kaworu is Adam, Adam was described by Gendou in episode 8 as, "The first human." Humans can have sexual status and gender. Thus, Kaworu is both angel and human.

So, Kaworu can have a gender, he is male. So, he can have a sexual status. But is it a "love for everyone" type of love that Kaworu has or a lover's love? Well, we do have a couple hints of what it could be.

So, what makes Kaworu's love a "lover's" love? For one, he makes sexual moves towards Shinji.

Shinji: "I am going to bed."

Kaworu: "With me?"

And all though it seems rather descrete at the moment, they way that it says does indeed show a true intention rather than a playful one. And afterall, being an angel, Kaworu would not understand how akward that is for Shinji.

Certainly, it is permitable for boys to have baths together in Japan and not be homosexual but if you look at the faces of Shinji and Kaworu during the scene you will notice a certain element of embaresment in Shinji, if it is perfectly normal then why is he embaressed?

So, let us through another detail foward, Lillith. Adam and Lillith certainly had some sexual affairs. So would the fact that Adam, or Kaworu, having love for both men and woman make him bisexual? Possible but also consider that many homosexual men have sex with women to deny the fact that they are homosexual. Adam may be doing something like that because afterall, he is both an angel and a human at the same time.

And because in End of Evangelion, Misato reffers to angels as, "Humans without human forms." It prooves that an angel who told take a human form -as episode 17 promotes of Kaworu and Rei- then they are humans themselves and thus can feel human emotions and partcipate in sexual acts. Something defintly worth noteing is that Evangelion angels are not biblical angels but instead they are humans who chose to vanquish their human form. So if one of these beings chooses to be a man or a woman, they are thus truely a man or a woman.

So, after stating the evidence, I have come to a rough conclusion that Kaworu is indeed human, enough atleast, to have a sexual status and therefor based on the fact that he -as Adam- has attempted afairs with both men and woman in his life, thus concluding that he could be any sexual status. However, does it really matter? Kaworu is Kaworu and he is one of the most memerable characters of Neon Genesis: Evangelion.

Titus
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Titus » Mon Nov 07, 2005 3:58 pm

Being of an Asuka kind of mind state, ill say this...

Queer boy is gay.

end of story
"I say Evamonkey did it himself. After seeing that Titus had more Eva images than him, he was driven into a fit of jealousy that led him to set this up in the hope of infecting everyone with a trojan that automatically rooted through their harddrives and sending him any images he didnt already have." - Space Penis
"some of the most intelligent people I know are complete fuck ups, and some of the less intelligent ones are incredibly interesting and promising." - The Eva Monkey
"Titus I love you!" - Zugzwang
"TITUS + ADSL = Disaster" - Timesplitter 01

Heidroch
Lilith

Postby Heidroch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:25 pm

I remember coming across this website a while ago- It appears there has been quite a bit of extensive research into this, and you may find it helpful:

http://kaworu.com/kaworu/controversy/

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:45 pm

Heidroch wrote:I remember coming across this website a while ago- It appears there has been quite a bit of extensive research into this, and you may find it helpful:

Yeah, but in the end they say "I'll let you decide".

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

Postby chiefen » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:55 pm

poetic_assassin wrote:
Heidroch wrote:I remember coming across this website a while ago- It appears there has been quite a bit of extensive research into this, and you may find it helpful:

Yeah, but in the end they say "I'll let you decide".

So why don't you decide by yourself?
Last edited by chiefen on Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NGE, N. G. E., N. G. Evangelion, Neon Genesis Evangelion.

NOT Eva or EVA. Please. >_<

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Mon Nov 07, 2005 4:56 pm

I think that Kaworu isn't human and jugding him by human standards is probly wrong.

poetic_assassin
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby poetic_assassin » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm

'Cause he is my favorite character and that isn't my favorite answer.

Heidroch
Lilith

Postby Heidroch » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:00 pm

I think that Kawarou does indeed love Shinji, but it is form of love that is way above and beyond anything romantic.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

Postby Shnooks » Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Yeah, well, if he was human, he'd be gay. You know, as gay as rainbows and shit.

But, since he's not human, its more of a, like...whats it called? All-loving emotion. Like, Angels and God, they just love everyone.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

Postby Defectron » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:10 pm

So, let us through another detail foward, Lillith. Adam and Lillith certainly had some sexual affairs. So would the fact that Adam, or Kaworu, having love for both men and woman make him bisexual? Possible but also consider that many homosexual men have sex with women to deny the fact that they are homosexual. Adam may be doing something like that because afterall, he is both an angel and a human at the same time.

No, that just doesnt work for kaworu, he wouldn't be the sort to lie to himself about that sort of thing. I personally think he's bysexual, but unabashadly so, he doesn't care what people think about it which is made very clear in both the anime and manga. Also do you know how rediculous it sounds that the infamous giant of light would go around sleeping with Lillith just to prove his manhood?

No! No! Bad! (hits tsuchan with newspaper)

That just doesnt work
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:34 pm

He's gay in the sense that he's happy. Indeed, he really is gay in that sense.

Now, is he gay in the sense that he wants to have sexual relations with a man? Eh... I don't know. I seriously doubt it. I don't think he really thinks about having sexual relations with another person, much less, another man. Sleeping with another person can be viewed as an expression of love... I don't know how, but it can be viewed that way.

Screw it, my mind STILL isn't working today. I'll sum it up, I do not thinking Kaworu is homosexual, maybe bisexual, but that's because he just doesn't give a shit. I believe he just loves Shinji... That's all that really matters.

TsubasaNoKoikokoro
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby TsubasaNoKoikokoro » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:25 pm

Defectron wrote:

No, that just doesnt work for kaworu, he wouldn't be the sort to lie to himself about that sort of thing. I personally think he's bysexual, but unabashadly so, he doesn't care what people think about it which is made very clear in both the anime and manga. Also do you know how rediculous it sounds that the infamous giant of light would go around sleeping with Lillith just to prove his manhood?

No! No! Bad! (hits tsuchan with newspaper)

That just doesnt work
XD Well atleast someone read my pretty essay. =p

But my conclusion in my head is that he was bisexual for the same reasons but for reasons of debate I needed to through that point out there.

rei-freak
Embryo

Postby rei-freak » Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:36 pm

He is bisexual in my opinion

Oblivious
Lilith

Postby Oblivious » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:14 pm

rei-is-hot wrote:He is bisexual in my opinion

Seconded. If he did not go with Shinji, he would have went with Rei.

Must. Write. Fic.

When I write about Rei and Kaworu, the two characters in my mind seem to interact so well. Or maybe it is just me.
http://graveyardofroses.spaces.live.com
You can either choose to change yourself or change your surroundings. All decisions are variations of those two.

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby DatDude » Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:19 pm

I've anted to use angel boy in a fic myself, but some how I think I won't be as kind to him as you might be. :twisted:

Six Winged Angel
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Postby Six Winged Angel » Tue Nov 08, 2005 12:02 pm

check these out:

[url]http://www.gainaxpages.com/videogames/lgos81.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.gainaxpages.com/videogames/lgos46.jpg[/url]

[url]http://www.gainaxpages.com/videogames/lgos29.jpg[/url]

they are from the girlfriend from steel 2nd game :lol:

I think the answer is clear :P
Last edited by Six Winged Angel on Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~But someday you will come to understand that on your back, there are wings with which you can fly on the distant future.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 pm

And he does dodge the issue, giving the impression of denying it, but not actually doing so, when Asuka calls him "homo-boy" in the "Addition" radio drama.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

superdoughboy4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby superdoughboy4 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:21 pm

Tsu-chan wrote:I want to put this foward right now.

Kaworu is certainly a peculiar character in Neon Genesis: Evangelion. He betrays Shinji and turns out to be his enemy. But, something that still puzles all fans alike is, "How does he love Shinji?"

Kaworu is Adam, Adam was described by Gendou in episode 8 as, "The first human." Humans can have sexual status and gender. Thus, Kaworu is both angel and human.

So, Kaworu can have a gender, he is male. So, he can have a sexual status. But is it a "love for everyone" type of love that Kaworu has or a lover's love? Well, we do have a couple hints of what it could be.

So, what makes Kaworu's love a "lover's" love? For one, he makes sexual moves towards Shinji.

Shinji: "I am going to bed."

Kaworu: "With me?"

And all though it seems rather descrete at the moment, they way that it says does indeed show a true intention rather than a playful one. And afterall, being an angel, Kaworu would not understand how akward that is for Shinji.

Certainly, it is permitable for boys to have baths together in Japan and not be homosexual but if you look at the faces of Shinji and Kaworu during the scene you will notice a certain element of embaresment in Shinji, if it is perfectly normal then why is he embaressed?

And because in End of Evangelion, Misato reffers to angels as, "Humans without human forms." It prooves that an angel who told take a human form -as episode 17 promotes of Kaworu and Rei- then they are humans themselves and thus can feel human emotions and partcipate in sexual acts. Something defintly worth noteing is that Evangelion angels are not biblical angels but instead they are humans who chose to vanquish their human form. So if one of these beings chooses to be a man or a woman, they are thus truely a man or a woman.

So, after stating the evidence, I have come to a rough conclusion that Kaworu is indeed human, enough atleast, to have a sexual status and therefor based on the fact that he -as Adam- has attempted afairs with both men and woman in his life, thus concluding that he could be any sexual status. However, does it really matter? Kaworu is Kaworu and he is one of the most memerable characters of Neon Genesis: Evangelion.

The way I see it, Kawouru is not homosexual, but that of Jesus.
Jesus, loved everyone unconditionally, and Kawouru, is the same way.
Though his mission was to destroy the world, and start the Third Impact, he had love for those he met. No matter what gender.
I do not think Kawouru is not gay.

What you said about him being an Angel and human is also a good point.
He does not know much about the sexuality of humans, so it would be no big deal to Kawouru.

I think Shinji was a little embarassed, because he's not used to something like this. He's afraid of affection, and has never truly felt it, so it'd be very awkward for Shinji.
But later when Kawouru tells Shinji that he has sympathy for him, and that he likes him, it helped Shinji.

During Instrumentality, Episode 26, Shinji is focused on Kawouru and Ayanami now.
After he asked Ayanami what a 'dream' was, he saw both Kawouru and Ayanami.
Shinji asked, in wonder, what those two were doing in his mind.
Ayanami stated that she is the hope, that everyone has, and later, in an almost un-noticable way, Kawouru states that he is the love of others.
I'll try and find the scene and script it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”