Come Sweet Death Question !!!

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: the last phrase by Asuka

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 03, 2011 2:30 pm

View Original Postsymbv wrote:
Some people's theory that Asuka wanted to die and Shinji would not finish the job was really befuddling and weird to me....

Yeah, expecially since she kicks down her "grave maker", as if to say "You're not getting rid of me that easily you idiot!"
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ed
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ed » Wed May 11, 2011 10:12 am

View Original PostJessemon wrote:Tbh, I got the feeling that Anno simply wrote it about himself (didn't he write the original lyrics, but they were modified for the actual song?) and put it into EoE because, well, it was a natural thing to do. The song fits Shinji as a character, but I think it's more a statement from Anno himself.

Also, I've always thought that the kitchen scene happened in Shinji's head. To me it seems to be a moment in which Shinji makes the realization that he and Asuka aren't going to figure everything out. Back at the beginning of EoE, Shinji asks Asuka to help him because he knows she can't answer, so even then he hasn't faced the truth about their relationship. If the kitchen scene had been real, then the masturbation scene would lose a little significance IMO (b/c Shinji would have already shown the courage to offer help/ask for help from Asuka). The kitchen scene itself is familiar because it's an alternate to something that actually happened. Only this time (because it's in Shinji's head, and not IRL), Shinji does the thing he would have liked to do back then. Unfortunately his mind forms a pretty depressing outcome (though it's an entirely reasonable one), and that's what ultimately causes Shinji to decide that he's ok with killing everyone.

totally agree with you!It's said that anno wrote the original song,then it was translated into english.As NGE is a personal animation for anno who once said "it should be me who is crying here !" as seeing the final scene of EoE when Shinji shed tears ,I think "come on,sweet death" is wrote for Shinji,and more for himself
道可道,非常道--老子

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”