So, why do we love Eva again?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 6055
Joined: Aug 10, 2010
Location: Vienna
Gender: Male

So, why do we love Eva again?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:33 am

Today, a friend asked me why I liked Evangelion so much and I just couldn´t give a serious answer, because...

I personally never really thought about it in detail.
I guess I just kinda... like it.

What about you guys?

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 670
Joined: Oct 20, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Shogo-Kun » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 am

I love it because it dives into the minds of the characters and it's character driven. It's also bold and interesting to watch.
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:52 am

Rei gets naked often enough

it has badass robots

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 6055
Joined: Aug 10, 2010
Location: Vienna
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Rei gets naked often enough

it has badass robots

Yeah, I think this suffices for me too.

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 3139
Joined: Jan 17, 2009
Location: Chicago, IL
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

I like all the long, drawn out surreal parts where nothing happens.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:55 am

The question is why you LIKED Evangelion so much, not why you LIKE Evangelion so much, right?

For me, it could be called as an important chapter in my life but I am not sure I can say I *LIKE* Evangelion now the same way I would say I like other anime. It is more like something that has become part of my past and what constituted myself, for good and for bad. I never thought I would be shocked so much by an anime, and I never thought I would stop enjoying anime but EoE did it for me (among other things). I guess it was an experience that was so unforgettable that it is no longer a question of like or not like. It is just something that left an indelible impression on you, a lot of them are subliminal beauty but a lot of them are nightmarish trauma. The more you were into anime and breathe and eat anime, the more angst/exhilaration that you would go through. That is Evangelion.

Not sure if it helps answer your question or not. But that would be my answer if somebody asked me the question seriously -- if it is just some casual acquaintances asking me I would just shrug my shoulders and say "because the characters are interesting, mecha are cool, monsters/angels are unusual, the pseudo-mysticism are mind-boggling, and the story starts like other anime but ends up in unexpected direction" or something even shorter.
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leighton
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 138
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: Asuka's apartment
Gender: Male

Re: So, why do we love Eva again?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Leighton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:59 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:Today, a friend asked me why I liked Evangelion so much and I just couldn´t give a serious answer, because...

I personally never really thought about it in detail.
I guess I just kinda... like it.

What about you guys?


Same, ive just grownnsome sort of attachment to it. Evangelion just has some kind of flair to it which makes it enjoyable.

PLUS, I've learnt a bit about manga and amine culture thanks to Eva.

Don't forget about the 14 year old girls we can fantasize about.

View Original PostXard wrote:Rei gets naked often enough

it has badass robots


The evas themselves are pretty smexy. I mean, small waists and broad shoulders.
Last edited by Leighton on Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 5099
Joined: Jan 09, 2011

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Tankred » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:00 am

I loves me some biomechanical monstrosities and naked blue-haired clones.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog
User avatar
Posts: 18660
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:26 am

Asuka.

...and compelling characters and genre deconstructions and giant, cool-looking robots and kickin' music and great visuals and stuff. But mostly Asuka.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 811
Joined: Oct 30, 2010
Location: England
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby liquidus118 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:01 am

Because I love the characters, setting, story, philosophy, psychological stuff, angel/ Eva designs, story telling, music and imagery.
Why is this such a hard question?

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:06 am

View Original Postliquidus118 wrote:Because I love the characters, setting, story, philosophy, psychological stuff, angel/ Eva designs, story telling, music and imagery.
Why is this such a hard question for you guys?


Because characters are unrealistic, setting is halfassed, story full with holes, philosophy pretentious, psychology debunked Freud lunacy, angel/Eva designs are inferior copies of Ultraman shit, Anno can't tell a story if his life depends on it, music is either plagiarism or crappy, judeochristian imagery is pretentious and meaningless

Allemann
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
Age: 33
Posts: 1779
Joined: Jun 26, 2009
Location: Europe

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Allemann » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 am

^ What he said.

Also, Misato's/Asuka's/Rei's/Ritsuko's boobs.
Last edited by Allemann on Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

symbv
Elder God
Elder God
User avatar
Age: 52
Posts: 6513
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: used to be TOKYO
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby symbv » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:19 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Because characters are unrealistic, setting is halfassed, story full with holes, philosophy pretentious, psychology debunked Freud lunacy, angel/Eva designs are inferior copies of Ultraman shit, Anno can't tell a story if his life depends on it, music is either plagiarism or crappy, judeochristian imagery is pretentious and meaningless


Actually these are at least half-true :tongue:
Looking back from now I think I could see clearer the flaws in Eva but as I said it has just become a part of me and my past, so whatever...
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Leighton
Lilith
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 138
Joined: Feb 13, 2011
Location: Asuka's apartment
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Leighton » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:25 am

View Original PostAllemann wrote:^ What he said.

Also, Misato's/Asuka's/Rei's/Ritsuko's boobs.


Yeap, I watch it for boob

schismatics
Pilot Candidate
Pilot Candidate
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 1861
Joined: May 11, 2009
Location: Killinois
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby schismatics » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:34 am

View Original PostMugwumpHasNoLiver wrote:I like all the long, drawn out surreal parts where nothing happens.


What he said.

Also classical music over violence.

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 201
Joined: Jan 01, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby rhfxz1s » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:50 am

I could go on about the various things that everyone else mentions, like character design and plot, but I think we all know what we like about those so I won't bother.

Instead, I'll just say that Eva has really impacted me because it was something that I could really connect to. As someone who actually has clinical depression, I was able to relate to a lot of the themes throughout the show, and often identified with Shinji's struggle to find self-worth. Hell, the "congratulations" scene made me cry a bit, which shows just how emotional I felt about the show. I'm willing to disregard all the shows flaws (it has many, like all works of fiction) because it's so powerful and impressionable. Well, for me at least.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel
Age: 28
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 21, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Light » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:55 am

Because Asuka.

And because I like it, too lazy to get into the details. I'll add that it's the only series I bother to rewatch every now and then.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog
User avatar
Posts: 18660
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:56 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Because characters are unrealistic,


The rest is a fair cop, but this one isn't. The characters are pretty solid overall.

The philosophy's not really pretentious and the psychology works as well with Jung or many others as it does with Freud, but that's neither here nor there.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Xard
Banned
User avatar
Posts: 14236
Joined: Jan 03, 2008

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Xard » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:03 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The rest is a fair cop, but this one isn't.


Aoba, Maya and Hikari are only halfway decently portrayed characters in the series.

Asuka is overexaggarated ball of ridiculousness and angst and "supergenius" that never shows, Shinji is just...Shinji. Misato's slobness and work skillz are unrealistically at odds and Rei isn't even a character.

They're writer hijacked mouthpieces for whatever issues Anno had on his mind with little coherency. It's unrealistic to have 14 year old pilot giant robot in the first place

Only reason Eva characters are as popular as they are is their fappable looks which has led to largest doujinshi-per-series quotient in history of the industry.
Last edited by Xard on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Light
Tunniel
Tunniel
Age: 28
Posts: 151
Joined: Mar 21, 2011
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Light » Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:04 am

View Original PostXard wrote:Asuka is overexaggarated ball of ridiculousness and angst adn "supergenius" that never shows

:freud:


Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest