Random EoE thoughts

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

Random EoE thoughts

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:50 am

So, I was reading volume 12 of the manga, and I noticed a few things that never occured to me before, while watching End of Evangelion. None of these things were exclusive to the manga, so I guess I'm only noticing these things now because it's easier to sit there and study a panel instead of watching all of this stuff happen in a movie.

1) So, when Asuka is moved from room 303 and placed inside of Eva-02, whoever moved her had time to strip her naked and put her in her plugsuit, even though they should be in a hurry? (Ok, that's being really nitpicky. Sue me. :D)

2) A bunch of N2 mines(?) don't do a thing to the umbilical cable, but a spray of bullets can cut it clean in half? (You'd think these kids would have a way to protect the cable with the A.T. Field.)

3) The Mass Production Evas move around before the Dummy Plugs is inserted? I guess it's possible, because Yui has moved without power or a plug before, but it was usually in a dire situation. Something to do with the S2 engine?

Sorry if any of these dumb questions have been asked before.
Last edited by COACH on Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Random EoE thoughts

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:59 am

1) The hospital gown came off easily (just ask Shinji!) Ditto ripping off what would in reality be disposable incontinence pants (with easy-tear sides). Then it's just a matter of sliding her into the oversize suit and letting it form-fit as they went.

3) Possibly remote control?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:04 am

Regarding #2, the force of the explosions would probably have been diffused across a wider area.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:09 am

1) they had plenty of time to do that. The plugsuit offers benefits for synchrorate so it's worth doing

as far as I can tell N2 mines never had direct hit on the cable

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:24 am

View Original PostCOACH wrote:3) The Mass Production Evas move around before the Dummy Plugs is inserted? I guess it's possible, because Yui has moved without power or a plug before, but it was usually in a dire situation. Something to do with the S2 engine?

They didn't move around much. Their heads fell forward and their arms seemed to relax a bit, but i guess that can be chaclked up to gravity doing it's thing after some restraints were released inside the transport aircrafts.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:34 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:1) The hospital gown came off easily (just ask Shinji!) Ditto ripping off what would in reality be disposable incontinence pants (with easy-tear sides). Then it's just a matter of sliding her into the oversize suit and letting it form-fit as they went.

3) Possibly remote control?

1) Now I'm thinking the guy just wanted to undress her. Pervert. :)
2) Could be.

View Original PostXard wrote:1) they had plenty of time to do that. The plugsuit offers benefits for synchrorate so it's worth doing

Right, but the reason I even noticed anything is because somebody said that Asuka wasn't going to sortie, since she was a vegetable and all. She was just hiding.

View Original PostXard wrote:as far as I can tell N2 mines never had direct hit on the cable

View Original PostBornIn1142 wrote:Regarding #2, the force of the explosions would probably have been diffused across a wider area.

I would think they were powerful enough that it wouldn't matter.

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:They didn't move around much. Their heads fell forward and their arms seemed to relax a bit, but i guess that can be chaclked up to gravity doing it's thing after some restraints were released inside the transport aircrafts.

Didn't they make growling noises too? Or am I remembering wrong?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:37 am

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Right, but the reason I even noticed anything is because somebody said that Asuka wasn't going to sortie, since she was a vegetable and all. She was just hiding.

better to give it a shot instead of not even trying, I figured. A la ep 23.

View Original PostCOACH wrote:I would think they were powerful enough that it wouldn't matter.

Meh, no indication of that. Those cables go through heaven and hell in series so fi you really want to fanwank something here maybe the bombing weakened the cables enough already w/e

Not that I think there's need to fanwank here. JSSDF got lucky

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Didn't they make growling noises too? Or am I remembering wrong?

MPEs are monsters. That's all explanation needed

KogareruAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KogareruAsuka » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:13 am

1) wouldn't you?
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:29 pm

She NEEDED to be in her plugsuit (or at least in something red)

- This is the part where her character comes to "full bloom" (Before she is killed, of course" she NEEDS her trademark color! (which is also the color of life -> Asuka is, in this scene, motivated by her drive to survive/Eros/Id etc....)
The white hospital gown would make her look fragile - now how does that go with the bestial carnage we get to see? Nope. Red. Definitely red.

The entire plot is a metaphor anyway, so a little logic can be sacrificed for color symbolism - and the suit DOES boost the synch ratio.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:36 pm

2) There is nothing to suggest those really were N2 mines instead of conventional depth charges. Actually, given that they blast the top of Geofront open with something that probably is a N2 bomb, I'd say it's likely they only used run-of-the-mill depth charges on Unit-02.

Also, the cable is cut off with an explosion. This suggests that it was shot with some kind of explosive, and nevertheless the impact of an actual shell (with fittingly chosen parameters as speed and shell weight) can easily be more destructive to its point of impact than a blast wave of an explosion that happens nearby, especially if we want to start fanwank around with the strength of construction of umbilical cable.

FWIW with evangelion size fluctuation, the fair bit of size difference between those depth charges in EoE and Rei's N2 mine in ep 19 does actually suggest they didn't drop N2 mines on Unit-02:
SPOILER: Show

...yes, I'm constantly thinking of framing this on my wall.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:43 pm

Adding my (largely redundant at this point) voice to the chorus:

View Original PostCOACH wrote:1) So, when Asuka is moved from room 303 and placed inside of Eva-02, whoever moved her had time to strip her naked and put her in her plugsuit, even though they should be in a hurry? (Ok, that's being really nitpicky. Sue me. :D)

Remember that the plugsuits are really easy to get on and off given the fact that they pressurize and all. All you'd have to do is whip off the gown, wedge her into the suit, pressurize it, and stick her in the plug. It wouldn't add any appreciable amount of time to the process.

2) A bunch of N2 mines(?) don't do a thing to the umbilical cable, but a spray of bullets can cut it clean in half? (You'd think these kids would have a way to protect the cable with the A.T. Field.)

They weren't N2 mines. N2 explosives are played as nukes, and put out a llot of energy. These were just conventional depth charges.

3) The Mass Production Evas move around before the Dummy Plugs is inserted? I guess it's possible, because Yui has moved without power or a plug before, but it was usually in a dire situation. Something to do with the S2 engine?

Possibly, but it's more likely they just fell into position so they could receive the plugs.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:45 pm

View Original PostCOACH wrote:Didn't they make growling noises too? Or am I remembering wrong?

Not a peep till they got jacked up with the Dummy Plugs.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:49 am

View Original PostSaltyJoe wrote:Not a peep till they got jacked up with the Dummy Plugs.

Yeah. It looks more like their heads had been released from some restrains and then followed gravity - they're upside-down during that scene.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:59 am

Here's a question I've haven't seen anyone bring up before: What happened to Maya when she passed through GNR's hand? What did she see? Clearly she went through something... traumatic, but it's never hinted at what she actually experienced. And except for the minor detail of the world ending, she seemed relatively fine later, so it wasn't Cthulhuian enough to give her a BSOD.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:13 am

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:Here's a question I've haven't seen anyone bring up before: What happened to Maya when she passed through GNR's hand? What did she see? Clearly she went through something... traumatic, but it's never hinted at what she actually experienced. And except for the minor detail of the world ending, she seemed relatively fine later, so it wasn't Cthulhuian enough to give her a BSOD.

Personally, I never got the impression that Lillith passing through her had any concrete physical/mental "effect" on her. I just figured GNR was completely intangible and that it was the idea of sharing space with a space oddity that horrified Maya.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:40 am

IIRC, first they nuked the Geofront to blast it open, then they saturated the place with rocket artillery, then went a notch deeper and dumped a crapload of depth charges in the lake.

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:50 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:What happened to Maya when she passed through GNR's hand?
She got fingered by a giant, naked, goddess. Don't you think you'd freak out?
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:00 pm

View Original PostEva Yojimbo wrote:She got fingered by a giant, naked, goddess. Don't you think you'd freak out?

Quoted for truth. In fact, Maya basically exemplified my mental reaction to that whole Rei thing when I first saw it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”