Shinji's rejection of Misatos "sexual" invitation

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Leighton
Lilith

Shinji's rejection of Misatos "sexual" invitation

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:24 am

Now that we've looked heavily on Shinji's point of view in the situation, lets have a look a Misato's pov

Im guessing it was a mixture of both, but was she attempting to soothe, relieve, etc his trauma after Rei's suicide as a means of:
being motherlike and taking care of him or with
some sexual invitation to physically relieve him whilst possibly relieving him mentally?

We know that Shinji most likely had no intention of rooting Misato, but what was HER intention?

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:43 am

to have sex

:rimshot:

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:05 am

View Original PostXard wrote:to have sex

:rimshot:

Lol fuck yeah. Reminds me of that thump she makes when she sits on the bed haha

Ritsuko
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ritsuko » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:58 am

Well during HIP when Misato remembers that part, everybody got disgusted with her.

I just rewatched that scene on friday.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 pm

It was clear that she needed a cuddle -- whether it would be an "adult cuddle" or something more innocent is really less important -- as her interaction with Pen-Pen showed. Being stuck there to keep looking after the kids meant that she couldn't then swan off and descend upon her favourite bridge bunny for solace.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:53 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It was clear that she needed a cuddle -- whether it would be an "adult cuddle" or something more innocent is really less important -- as her interaction with Pen-Pen showed. Being stuck there to keep looking after the kids meant that she couldn't then swan off and descend upon her favourite bridge bunny for solace.

Once again, Misato hit on a friggin' penguin.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:17 pm

I think she wanted to give comfort but also to receive it.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:18 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Once again, Misato hit on a friggin' penguin.

I don't blame her. Pen Pen is one sexy beast

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:47 pm

She says "All I can do is this . . ." and then puts her hand on Shinji's shoulder, only for him to flinch away. Call me crazy, but I think I she wanted to do was give him a frickin' hug. We do those all the time in my family. They're normal, and there's nothing sexual about them . . . doesn't stop me from coiling my muscles and flinching away sometimes, but that's a matter for another time and place.
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:51 pm

Shinji pretty clearly interprets whatever she's offering him to be inappropriate to their relationship. At that stage of Misato's failures of course pretty much anything is inappropriate, but Misato being Misato and dickchair being dickchair, I'm inclined to think it's something sexual she was hoping for.
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Jayfive
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Jayfive » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:15 pm

She says "All I can do is this . . ." and then puts her hand on Shinji's shoulder, only for him to flinch away. Call me crazy, but I think I she wanted to do was give him a frickin' hug.

I thought the same and was genuinely surprised when i found that the scene is interpreted as if shes about to jump his bones.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:19 pm

^
Ditto -- the primary source for the interpretation is extra-textual commentary. What she does looks more big sisterly than anything else.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:40 pm

There's also the dickchair, which wasn't even in the on-air version of the episode, right? I don't think any of the director's cut material was added for shits 'n giggles.
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:53 pm

Misato and Shinji have always been walking a fine line in regards to their relationship with each other: on one side the relationship is a maternal one, on the other side the relationship is a lusty one. Misato may not have been offering sex to Shinji, but that delicate balance that their relationship obtained was in danger of being broken by such an ambiguous action. Shinji, being who he is, was terrified of that prospect and Misato's shame, while not necessarily one of guilt, may be realizing how such actions could be interpreted by a scared teenage boy. There are many ways to interpret that scene and the whole Misato-Shinji dynamic which is what makes it so interesting.

Now I've done my fanwanking for the day.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:35 am

My understanding is that she was offering comfort but really seeking it. Though sex probably wasn't what she was consciously looking for I also don't doubt that it was a highly possible outcome had he not rejected her so coldly. Like everyone else in the series she doesn't know how to open up with others, and her coping methods seem to be 1) keep everyone at a safe distance through the adoption of a persona (much like Asuka does), and 2) to use sex as a shortcut to assumed intimacy without ever really being emotionally available.

I suspect he turned away out of shame for his earlier inability to offer her such sympathies, but that's just a guess. I don't buy for a second that he percieved the sexual tension and rejected her advance on that ground.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby BiQ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:24 am

I agree with the notion that Misato wasn't really (at least consciously) trying to bed Shinji... but is that the point? As far as I can see, they haven't shared many hugs and cuddles up to that point, so whatever physical intimacy they had shared without much emotional one... wouldn't it have just been, like, 'lite version' on Misato's "let's hide behind assumed intimacy" sex?

And I am 99% positive Shinji's rejection was because he intepreted it as an offer for sex (or other physical intimacy) and was mostly scared of being close to another, especially since it would have shaken one of his only relationships he didn't feel actually threatening at that point.

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:28 am

View Original PostCody MacArthur Fett wrote:She says "All I can do is this . . ." and then puts her hand on Shinji's shoulder

Actually on his hand :)

And if you flinch away I doubt your mom would walk away then whisper to herself "Is he afraid of women?". Or at least I really hope so.

COACH wrote:There's also the dickchair, which wasn't even in the on-air version of the episode, right? I don't think any of the director's cut material was added for shits 'n giggles.

It looks even more like a penis in the on aired version
Last edited by toe mash on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cody MacArthur Fett » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:20 am

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:Actually on his hand :)

Holding hands then. Once again, it's a perfectly normal and non-sexual way to show support.

View Original Posttoe mash wrote:And if you flinch away I doubt your mom would walk away then whisper to himself "Is he afraid of women?". Or at least I really hope so.

I don't really hear her that much, so I can't be 100% certain, but I'm almost completely positive she doesn't say that. Mostly because it's common knowledge that I just do not like to be touched, so her asking if I was afraid of women would really just be for an entirely different reason that she already knows the answer to -- I don't date, because I'm asexual and wish to avoid romantic entanglements.

In addition, I have to ask, where does the commentary thing about the sexual advances come from in the first place?
Sic Semper Tyrannus
Carry on.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:24 am

"Is he afraid of women?" in my opinion practically confirms that Misato's aims were rather sexual. The statement doesn't make much sense otherwise

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:08 am

View Original PostXard wrote:"Is he afraid of women?" in my opinion practically confirms that Misato's aims were rather sexual. The statement doesn't make much sense otherwise

Exactly. They fucked up that scene a bit in the dub, though...

All the poor dubfags not realizing Misato's whoreness ;_;

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”