Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:46 am

I posted this on the Live Action Eva thread but essentially now that Guillermo Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" is dead (for now) he's moved on to his next project, an original project with a budget north of $250 million & planned to feature a PG-13 rating- "Pacific Rim".

Essentially, Pacific Rim IS the live action Evangelion movie without BEING Evangelion. It's giant mecha vs. Cthulhu & various "kaiju". Most importantly, it's an original concept. There's no reason LAME should exist. None. It's just fans wanting the same story retold to them because they can't think of anything better or because "wouldn't it be cool to see this rendered in expensive CG?" which does not a movie make.

So, Pacific Rim sounds very appealing. Clearly anime inspired & if made properly is bound to be a film Evangelion fans will eat up with vigor.

http://www.newsinfilm.com/2011/03/10/details-on-guillermo-del-toros-pacific-rim/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:10 pm

This movie isn't based off of an already existing work?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! :vader:

Seriously though, I would like to see this. I mean, I know there is technically no such thing as pure originality. (We've always seen the same basic concepts used elsewhere.) But there's no need to dive head-long into a vat of re-tellings of the same continuities/franchises/board games. This will be refreshing to watch.

schismatics
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby schismatics » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:15 pm

This sounds LEGIT.

If Del Toro can manage that hard-edge atmosphere that was present in Pan's Labyrinth, there will be no need LAEM.

Gaha I'm excited. I'm really hoping this gets made.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:21 pm

I look forward to it. Not really with Evangelion in mind, but with Guillermo del Toro directing mecha vs. monsters in mind.

I'm hoping del Toro is more interested in making a new and interesting story than to paying homage to classics.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Xard
Banned

Re: Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:39 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Guillermo Del Toro's "At the Mountains of Madness" is dead (for now)

WHAT!?!??!?

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm

This sounds intreging... WILL WATCH!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:02 pm

"At the Mountains of Madness" was cancelled because Del Toro needed a $150 million budget (though in my opinion it really could be done at 1/2 that price) & an R rating. At a budget that high the film would need be the highest grossing R rated film of all time to even recoup it's budget once marketing was added to the costs.

Universal couldn't support a risk that large primarily because the last couple risky ventures of theirs haven't returned much in the way of profit.

Which is a shame. Universal was really the last major studio still willing to take risks & genuinely avoid lazy filmmaking (their comic book films of the past decade were Ang Lee's Hulk, the 2 Hellboys, Kick-Ass & Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Great films all but none aside from Hulk even made Ghost Rider profit). I think Universal is the one studio that had more original property than prequels/sequels/remakes/adaptations.

That's all about to change though. They're financing the $200 million + Battleship movie. You know..... the board game.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:22 pm

LIVE ACTION HETERO GUNBUSTER DIRECTED BY GDT HOLY FUCKING SHIT

AtMoM being canceled probably for the best - as with many of Lovecraft's best horror pieces the main plot isn't really related to overall story, something which works much better in text medium.

Hope they release some shoggoth production drawings though, I am sad GDT couldn't make it happen on big screen
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:03 pm

The plot for this movie reminds me of "Godzilla X MechaGodzilla" (2002). It looks like Legendary Pictures has both this and the upcoming Godzilla reboot in the next two or three years. I can't wait!

Maybe the age of Monsters will return like it was in the 50's (A person can dream :w00:).
Last edited by Guyver Spawn on Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xbox live gamertag: Guyver Spawn 27
PSN: Hellspawn28

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:07 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:LIVE ACTION HETERO GUNBUSTER DIRECTED BY GDT HOLY FUCKING SHIT

SOLD!

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:12 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:LIVE ACTION HETERO GUNBUSTER
The impact of the shirt-ripping during the final struggle is almost entirely lost.

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

Don't you know that a true Jaeger Machine pilot has a Jaeger Machine inside the crotch?
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm

My main issue with the movie is the writer. It's from the same person who wrote the Clash of the Titans remake that came out last year. With Del Toro as the director, I think this movie should be fine.

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:14 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:The impact of the shirt-ripping during the final struggle is almost entirely lost.

You just wanna see booby nipples, do you?
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:15 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:My main issue with the movie is the writer. It's from the same person who wrote the Clash of the Titans remake that came out last year.
Well, there goes half of my enthusiasm.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

Movies this large are rarely written by one individual. The vast amounts of rewrites & ghost writers (sometimes receiving up to $100,000 + for a mere 10 additional jokes or a new scene....& people wonder why movies are so expensive) enforced on projects this large can render most writers credits as merely that- a credit. It really takes a studio's commitment to the director or project to allow the script to hit the screen without too many drastic changes.

Devin Faraci of (once) Chud covers the Clash of the Titans that might've been very well -

http://www.chud.com/23299/by-zeus-the-version-of-clash-of-the-titans-you-didnt-see/

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:35 pm

View Original PostAzathoth wrote:HETERO GUNBUSTER

Hetero? Fail.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 pm

It sucks that At the Mountains of Madness is dead, but this new project sounds like it could be good. We'll just have to wait and see.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:27 am

fascinating, Captain

I wonder if there will be any smirky tributes and sight gags, i.e. a large mass of orange or gold but transparent liquid, an albino girl with blue hair hanging out somewhere, "thermal expansion," a red-headed German-speaking beotch, an authoritative guy who does this " :emogendo: " a lot, a near aesthetic copy of one of the Evas or one of the angels, etc.

I just hope it is good enough to put the current live-action Transformers and you-know-who to shame for once and for all

I wonder what Anno-sensai will have to say about this
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Guyver Spawn
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Guyver Spawn » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:52 pm

Bad news:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/23847/

Return to “Film and Video”