Commentary: Episode 06

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:59 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I'm going to rest my "cut & paste" finger for just a few days and then re-open 1-4, one at a time, not all at once.

I'm not certain how long the wait will be for Ep. 07 because I don't know its translation status. OMF is the editor who is in touch with our translators and I can't get in touch with him until he finishes writing his doctoral thesis. (It shouldn't be much longer.)

Okay :)
I'm happy that so many of my contributions were actually used
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:52 pm

Ditto, it makes me feel important.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:22 pm

134: Rei looks adorable with the book in front of her face... I like her voice in the English dub a lot, and this is one of the first times she speaks more than two or three sentences at a time. I wish she'd had more conversational lines in the series, but I guess that would have detracted from her stoic facade.

201: From everlasting to everlasting, the stars return to view, having shied behind the veil of civilization's blazing light for some seventy years. But the stars are patient; the passage of a human lifetime - an entire century - is nothing at all to them. This is the return of the primal state; this is the wild darkness the stars broke a million years ago, and will break a million years hence, when the frail lights of man go dark once more. No matter what happens at Mt. Futago tonight or a year from now, the starlight is cooly unblinking. It is separate and aloof from humanity's life-and-death struggle, and will outlast it.

302: The side flares though the recoil compensator are a really cool touch. It's a reminder of the raw power of this weapon.

309: Wait, who put a veranda on Unit 01? That hatch sounds unusually like the door to my front porch. :P
Last edited by Fireand'chutes77 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo
Asuka: founder of

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:12 pm

View Original PostFireand'chutes77 wrote:201: From everlasting to everlasting, the stars return to view, having shied behind the veil of civilization's blazing light for some seventy years. The stars are patient, and the passage of a human lifetime - an entire century - is nothing at all to them. This is the return of the primal state; this is the wild darkness the stars broke a million years ago, and will break a million years hence, when the frail lights of man go dark once more. No matter what happens at Mt. Futago tonight or a year from now, the starlight is cooly unblinking. It is separate and aloof from humanity's life-and-death struggle, and will outlast it.

Very nice. Is that a quote or original?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:36 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Very nice. Is that a quote or original?

Original. It came out a little more gloomy/fatalistic than it first sounded in my head, though... The scene was awe-inspiring (in the classical sense of the word), and beautiful at the same time... The aerospace engineer and backpacker in me both found something to enjoy. (On a side note: I wish my campus would turn the lights off at night, because the stars would be *amazing* out here if they did.)

In a similar vein, I was quite impressed by the very distant views of catastrophic explosions (2I, Nevada) in later parts of the series. On the ground, the scene is overwhelming, but pull back far enough and it becomes a tiny pinprick of light on a very large planet, backdropped by the even larger matte black of space. Carl Sagan's commentary on the Pale Blue Dot came to mind several times during this series. And despite the global effects of 2I and 3I and titanic machinations of NERV, SEELE, and Gendo, the sum of it all barely reaches lunar orbit* - a distance just two or three doors down the hall in cosmic terms.

*With perhaps the exception of Yui. But that's for later...
Last edited by Fireand'chutes77 on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. JSDF attack ships on fire during Operation Yashima. I watched particle beams glitter in the dark near the Geofront. All these moments will be lost in time. Like LCL in rain. Time to die." ~ ANT Pogo

PapalMercenary
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PapalMercenary » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:39 pm

#60 - Gainax has used tokusatsu references before and since Eva, so it makes me wonder if this scene here with the self-propelled mortar was inspired by a similar scene from the second film in the Gamera series, Giant Monster Duel: Gamera vs. Barugon (1966). In the film, the monster Barugon attacks Osaka with a freezing mist it sprays from its tongue. The JSDF can't get close enough to attack Barugon, since they'll just get frozen by his mist, so they prepare to fire a bunch of missiles at him from the opposite side of a lake. Unfortunately for them, Barugon also has a long-distance rainbow beam that shoots out of his back, which he uses to completely destroy the missiles before they even fire. 
"Life would be sad without love." - That Shinjo guy from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Preview #03: It hit me one day that life and art imitated each other in a big way in this Episode 7. Specifically, it deals with NERV and Jet Alone's little competition and how it was similar to the U.S. CALF project back in the 90's. I firmly believe this imitation was no one's intention, but the similarities are just way too striking for me not to comment on them in the next episode.

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:22 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I'm going to rest my "cut & paste" finger for just a few days and then re-open 1-4, one at a time, not all at once.

I'm not certain how long the wait will be for Ep. 07 because I don't know its translation status. OMF is the editor who is in touch with our translators and I can't get in touch with him until he finishes writing his doctoral thesis. (It shouldn't be much longer.)

do you have some guidelines written down what kind of comments you actually want people to submit for in the commentary?
no sig

Fireand'chutes77
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Fireand'chutes77 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm

Cue visual moon references. These contrast greatly from the sunny shots in the beginning of the episode, and visually suggest a connection between Rei and the Moon.

209: So… Could it be said that Rei is, in fact, "mooning" us? :)

:rimshot:

*is shot*

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:44 pm

011: Really nice animation on that doomed building.

016: That is a HORRIBLE font to put an emergency message in. It's barely readable even without being boiled alive.

019: What's causing it to explode like that, hit a gas main?

024: I really doubt Ritsuko's reaction is one of concern for Shinji unless you mean in a "it broke a crucial part!" sort of manner. She's not completely heartless, but when she's in a crisis mindset she shuts out any such complications.

030: I'm guessing the pads are probably built into those little green-tipped projections on either side of his ribs.

043: I'm blaming an increase in pressure due to the heat for the nosebleed. Same thing happens when they increase the fluid pressure in ep19.

045: I've never liked the overtly mechanical form of the drill here... even for an angel that's just weird.

050: Is it possible they were intentionally isolating him because they feared angel contamination of some sort?

056: It's really odd that Ramiel seems to react in response to hostility, yet was prepping it's first shot before 01 even reached the surface. More evidence that the angels talk to each other somehow?

060: If it's self-propelled why does it need to be dragged by an engine?

063: "It's never going to roll a 1... must be loaded."

084: The presence of Gendo's glasses here tells me Rei is actually thinking more of the commander than Shinji. Specifically, she's probably wondering what it means that Gendo didn't come running to pull him out of the plug when his son was injured. Should she be glad that this confirms she is more important to the Commander, or upset at the lack of consideration for her fellow pilot? There's much to ponder here.

091: That nose looks like a pair of sinus cavity holes. Did it spite your face, Misato?

098: Nerv's 9th branch (Kinko's) has to have something to contribute now and then, doesn't it?

100: I guess it's just the angle, but in this shot 00 looks a lot like a recolored Transformers Shockwave toy. (reference link: [url]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_G96gxvrHqrE/TBFzf3XQxVI/AAAAAAAAIZ4/QMeeCWE5xvA/s400/G1Shockwave.jpg[/url])

102: ...and now she's got a chin that could punch holes in leather?

104: How did the emergency broadcast inturrupt them while playing a game, not watching tv?

121: Why doesn't she already know all this? As head of tactical operations isn't this exactly the sort of thing she should be supervising?

124: Is it too soon to mention the Earthquake/Tsunami and it's connection to this episode?

136: Perhaps he was still suffering a bit of thermal expansion? :P

142: How quickly he forgets that she absolutely HAS been in life-threatening situations because of eva. I'm actually a little suprised she doesn't correct him, but maybe that's because she didn't actually understand the feeling of fear at the time?

143: I get the feeling this is actually Rei essentially telling him off, dismissing his whining and preparing to step up to the 01 piloting role she was meant for.

149: Makes you wonder what does Ken's dad does

173: Um... Isn't this EXACTLY what he was trained to do? We don't see him getting a hand-to-hand instructor (seriously, why not?) but centering the target is definately something he can do.

178: Is Rei jealous here of his role as offense, or is she asking if she's under orders to try and survive as well as protect him?

187: You know, considering he just heard that her orders are to protect him, his thinking out loud about dying here could be taken as him saying he's got no faith in her abilities. Is it possible to suck at pep talk more than Shinji does?

206: A bond can also be a form of confinement, implying that this is what she is forced to do. The prison-like composition here reinforces this secondary meaning.

221: I'm going with Duke. Oh... nevermind.

234: So much recycled footage here.

239: So why do they need an eva to pull the trigger and aim? couldn't all of this have been done directly by computer controls and hydrolics or soemthing rather than rely on a kid who's heart stopped earlier today?

257: Hadoken!

268: I must say Maya looks particularly badass in that shot for some reason.

336: Yep, you can see here the exact moment at which Shinji stops being just an annoyance and instead becomes someone she actually cares about.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

PapalMercenary
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby PapalMercenary » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:55 am

236: I find it interesting that the Kanji they use for "fire" here is the character for a literal fire.
"Life would be sad without love." - That Shinjo guy from Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:36 pm

View Original PostJC Denton wrote:do you have some guidelines written down what kind of comments you actually want people to submit for in the commentary?

No, no rules. We don't really need them because the Commentary Editors are using subjective judgement to decide which ones to include.

The only sorts of comments I've been actively trying to limit are Rebuild comparisons, and even those usually by hiding them with the "additional comments" tag. The only ones I've excluded altogether are comments that try to impose Rebuild continuity upon the series.

"Because X is true in Rebuild it must be true here" is likely out. For instance, someone might try to claim that we should assume that Kaworu was at a moon base until Ep. 24 based on Rebuild.

"They made a subtle change here in Rebuild" is likely in additional comments, or if the Rebuild material is embeded in an otherwise on-topic comment I've also (italicized the rebuild portion of the comment) and left it as a normal comment.

BTW, I know you said "just a general comment, don't post this anywhere.", but I find your comments that they didn't utilize Rei properly after Ep. 06 quite interesting. Are you sure I can't work them into the Commentary somewhere, perhaps at the very end against the "To be continued" cut?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:41 pm

Comments:

019: If the beam is supposed to be normally invisible, they're not being consistent about it. I'd label this as a pretty straightforward blooper.

047: Now I'm imagining Misato quoting Mad Bull: "They won't get away with cooking a pussy."

054, @ KnightmareX13: Balloon decoys are also a staple of Universal Century Gundam series.

065, @ Xard: The Yamato connection seems quite plausible. After all, Anno is a huge Yamato fan.

066, @ Instrumentality:
[Assuming Ornette is not going to pursue the blooper angle from cut 061] This field is also disregarding the laws of continuity. Now it's hexagonal, whereas it was octagonal just five cuts ago! Also, the angle of the deflected shot is somewhat off. It's not the biggest unambiguous blooper in the series, but it's among the top candidates.

086, @ Szmitten: If this is the worst off-model animation this supposedly notorious episode is going to throw at us, we're getting off relatively easy. Instead of 1990s version of Max & Milia's knife fight, we're just treated with copious amounts of still frames.

094: Various energy weapons do exist in the Eva universe, but they're all rather unwieldy and have slow rates of fire. As such, they're used throughout the show far less than more conventional weapons, like kinetic kill rifles and bazookas. In this respect the show reminds me of Metal Armor Dragonar.

100: They're setting up a Little Irony Bomb here. The positron gun reappears in Episode 22, with a Nerv-sticker slapped onto it.

168: They all suffered terrible tanlines due to this operation.

222: Don't tell this to that buttfrustrated autist EvaXephon, but this scene was memorably spoofed in Gear Fighter Dendoh's episode 14. However, because Dendoh's plucky kid heroes had no access to standard energy sources, their beam attack had to be charged up by people pedaling stationary bicycles.

255: I know it's a fantasy weapon, but what are those eight little converging beams?

261, @ Xard: It certainly looks that way.

271, @ Twin Sigma: Almost there? Wouldn't there still be miles to go, considering how deep the central shaft appears to extend in episode 24?

305, @ Leighton: Why wouldn't it burn? It's just a big methane-filled balloon.

307: Oh, the confusingly defined humanity!

310: Did the drill break free and keep going for a while? Ramiel's main body was already falling to the side in cut 307.

316: Wait, in cut 314 the plug looks unharmed (probably recycled animation), but here its surface is all melted wrinkly. And why would it melt inside Zero's moist meat pouch? Was she that thoroughly cooked?

320: "Wow, she looks hot. Smoking, in fact."

30-Second (Video Release) Version, cut 02, @ after Kendrix:
It's the closest thing to Boss Borot we're going to get in this angstfest of a show.

General editing:

039: I'd appreaciate it if this cut also linked back to episode 5, cut 290, because that's where my disclaimer regarding that less-than-stellar thread is.

044: Just saying, I initially found this very brief snippet by wayne to be pretty baffling:

In Gurren Lagann, they seem to always say "drill" in English, so maybe there isn't an actual Japanese word. Does anyone here know for certain?

I think what you're intending to say is that maybe there isn't a non-loanword for it. Loanwords are still "actual Japanese", as long as they've been well-established and integrated into the language. Also, I think Tines' explanatory comment should come after Kendrix.

338: Regarding Kendrix's "see the Anno quote someone else posted earlier" - I guess this refers to Xard's comment in the END cut, which follows this comment.

Typos:

SPOILER: Show
024: typo, nervuos
038, 083: ppl
054: typo, baloon
131: typo, wether
264: typo, comming
271: Missing comma? I'm almost there dude, just wait
302: typo, acute accent instead of apostrophe (Rei´s).
321: typo, point if view
325: typo, allright
338: typo, atraction, comming; missing space there(Then

JC Denton
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JC Denton » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:11 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:No, no rules. We don't really need them because the Commentary Editors are using subjective judgement to decide which ones to include.

The only sorts of comments I've been actively trying to limit are Rebuild comparisons, and even those usually by hiding them with the "additional comments" tag. The only ones I've excluded altogether are comments that try to impose Rebuild continuity upon the series.

"Because X is true in Rebuild it must be true here" is likely out. For instance, someone might try to claim that we should assume that Kaworu was at a moon base until Ep. 24 based on Rebuild.

"They made a subtle change here in Rebuild" is likely in additional comments, or if the Rebuild material is embeded in an otherwise on-topic comment I've also (italicized the rebuild portion of the comment) and left it as a normal comment.

BTW, I know you said "just a general comment, don't post this anywhere.", but I find your comments that they didn't utilize Rei properly after Ep. 06 quite interesting. Are you sure I can't work them into the Commentary somewhere, perhaps at the very end against the "To be continued" cut?

well you're right that Rebuild is a different animal altogether, though I think some things can be salvaged for the overall continuity (things with little or no contradictory potential), I really don't like Rebuild too much anyway but that's a different matter

well a remark I made regarding Rei's soul was added to the #5 commentary which was not intended by me (since like I said there I haven't come to a conclusion yet)

I'm gonna post some commentary-worthy bits on this one and the earlier eps some time later... :-)
no sig

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:34 pm

NemZ wrote:124: Is it too soon to mention the Earthquake/Tsunami and it's connection to this episode?

Probably. But for the record, what exactly is the connection other than Tsunamis and Angel attacks both being catastrophes? The only thing I can think of is comparing bringing power to the positron rifle to trying to restore power to the coolant pumps.

@Dr. Nick:

044 Point taken, that's sort of like claiming that there's no English word for "coffee". I meant no indigenous word.

JC Denton wrote:well a remark I made regarding Rei's soul was added to the #5 commentary which was not intended by me (since like I said there I haven't come to a conclusion yet)

The next time I start a commentary thread I'll have to make it more clear that the default is that anything in the thread is for the Commentary unless the poster indicates otherwise.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:18 pm

Another thought that occurred to me:

087: ...Or maybe the office, like the infamous B-Wing, was not finished yet when the angels attacked, and the reflective surfaces with the symbols had yet to be placed there? Perhaps the lights remained beneath them and serve to illuminate the symbols.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

chazthesilencer
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 am

#062 - Not a lot of love goes to the sound effects department; but if you listen really closely here, just for a split second, you will hear the mortar SCREAM in pain.
That's one powerful looking- and sounding shot.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:30 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Probably. But for the record, what exactly is the connection other than Tsunamis and Angel attacks both being catastrophes? The only thing I can think of is comparing bringing power to the positron rifle to trying to restore power to the coolant pumps.

The revolving blackouts and energy conservation plan following the quake was referred to as "Operation Yashima" by TEPCO (Tokyo Electric Power Company) representatives, clearly referring to this episode's national blackout to defeat the angel.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:58 pm

Late to the party because I couldn't think of a lot to say about this episode, though I do love it. And of course, I came up with a lot to say anyway. >_> I double-checked for typos, but a few might still be around here and there. Feel free to self-correct them or point out the strangely worded comments to me.

054: The documentary-like feel for this episode is a nice touch. The Renewal booklets translated for the Platinum release go somewhat into this.

076: The sense of perspective (particularly the moving cat-walk with Maya and Ritsuko on it) never fails to visually trip me up somehow. Certainly makes for a fun watch.

086: While this shot certainly reeks of QUALITY!, I still love Mitsuishi's confident delivery of the line.

101: Mitsuishi's nonchalant delivery along with Eva-00's calm removal of the rifle always makes me chuckle.

135: Well, the pilots are seen stripping naked to go au natural in the plugsuits, so I'd assume for sanitary reasons they'd be given new suits each time... Especially if there's an accident or two in the midst of a stressful battle. >_> (Cue ReDeath joke.)

136: @EvangelionFan: You're correct, 1.0 and its variations didn't include this gag.

136: @TheWayneiac: That wouldn't surprise me. Rei was concerned about making sure the Commander's glasses were safe and that Ikari kid wouldn't stop yapping. (It seems she didn't hear him at all, like the later scenes indicated.)

137: Shinji needed more fan-service shots, damnit. Gotta keep his fangirls (okay, I'm one of them, so sue me) happy.

178: @NemZ: I assumed Rei is following orders as usual instead of any jealousy. :shrugs:

183: @TheWanyeiac: Considering how "in your face" Asuka is towards Shinji about her sexuality, I'd assume he would take a peek or have stared, yes. (But possibly still do a variation of "quickly looking away" (like in 1.0) or stammering out a negative/sorry if Asuka would call him out on it.)

189 and 191: Am I alone in this striking me as Yui's influence on Rei?

205 through 207: In a similar fashion to Cuts 189/191, Rei's dialogue about bonds with everyone strikes me as referencing Lilith's bonds with all Lilin and the rest of creation.

267: I'm surprised we didn't get a Ritsuko panty shot here, considering Eva's (usually false or twisted :tongue: ) promises of fan-service.

285: Isn't this recycled footage of sorts, or am I thinking of a similar shot in an earlier episode?

338: Personally, I feel Evangelion New Movie Edition: Prelude was a case of third time's the charm with Rei's smile. While Rei was fully smiling in Episode 06 and she looked prettier (but lost the full smile) in Death, Prelude finally got it right by combining Rei's smile with beauty. ALSO, gotta love how the script indicates the Rei = Moon = Lilith connection so early on.

What Nemz's mentioning can be found here: http://www.evageeks.org/2011/03/operation-yashima-website/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:14 pm

189 and 191: Am I alone in this striking me as Yui's influence on Rei?

I don't see how that has anything to do with it... or even how it could, honestly.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”