Commentary: Episode 06

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:38 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:What my question boils down to then, is would he have peeked, or even stared, if it had been Asuka's silhouette instead of Rei's?

Shinji generally isn't the type to deliberately go and peek, he's not confident enough for that, and certainly not during the prologue arc - He mostly comes in contact with boobs or other female attributes through outer forces he has little control of and then reacts in one way or another.

It's also hard to compare this to the scenes involving Asuka - Shinji's at a very different point of his character developement when he meets her, Asuka, expecially in her earlier episodes, gets played for comic relief more often than Rei etc...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:58 pm

#309: I always wondered if the command room/car/whatever saw that scene between Shinji and Ayanami.
Misato, Maya: D´AWWWW
Engineers: WHAT THE HELL DID HE BREAK UNIT-00 FOR!?!

#316: Unit-01´s right hand kinda looks like Gendo´s hand in that cut.

#332: And this is the cut when Rei went from mysterious(creepy?) to unintentionally cute/moe for the rest of the series.
Last edited by InstrumentalityOne on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:30 am

View Original PostInstrumentalityOne wrote:#229: I never really understood how that graph worked.

Yes. On a real tournament graph only half of those red stripes would be advancing each round, not all of them.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:06 pm

#091 - I can't help but notice the character design fluctuations even occuring between scenes. I mean compare this scene to 086. Her nose has seemed to have dropped down / her face is longer.

#129 - I always wondered on what particular occasions Misato decided to wear white stockings under her short-shorts: May be in important situations like these?

#140 - Probably a result of lighting, but the bread is GREEN!

#220 - White glove: Gendo reference maybe?

#233 - May i point out that Misato is the only character with "collars-up" attire in the series? The emphasis of this collars-up could mean something but im straying too far probably.

#287 - I think Gendo and Fuyutsuki are focusing on the relationship between Rei and Shinji - i think thats why the put the shot right before Shinji's reaction.

#292 - There's a viewing slit in the shield - how is it that Ramiel's beam is not penetrating this?

#298 - Shinji does not want his Ayanami to be hurt!

#305 - Is Ramiel made of flammable material?

#313 - The Evas here are in an awkward position

#317 - Ahh, the replication of Gendo's opening of the Entry Plug. Shinji's emotion and effort here almost reflects Gendo's.

#324 - I find what Shinji say's here is a contrast to what Gendo say's. Gendo just says "Good"; i get the implication that he's just worried if Rei is still alive or not.
For Shinji's case, it provokes a more emotional response. I think for the first time Rei is personally valued to another, particularly in contrast than Gendo's value of her as an ingredient for his version of instrumentality. You could say, Shinji feels Rei's pain and wants to show it. I think its also the first time he's crying as a result of care rather than anger.

#336 - OMG, it's Gendo! Straying too far again - ff i remember correctly, when she opens her eyes in surprise, she utters a subtle "huh!" and it kinda seems to be replicated when the Rei/Lilith looks at Shinji for the first time in EoE - she looks at him, then when Shinji realises shes now a GNR, she goes "huh!" (and her eyes widen as well) before his epic screaming.

#338 - My eyes watered at this scene - I actually felt happy at Rei's first expression of joy as a result of Shinji's care for her.

#339 - I think Rei is more associated with the Black Moon (being a vessel for Lilith) but that would just make the animation ridiculously weird if they used a black moon to symbolise the connection. Im going to far again - it probably just emphasises her relation to be a Seed of Life

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:34 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:EDIT: (184) Oh, and @FreakyFilmFan4ever Wouldn't the steotypical way be exactly the other way around? Rei probably doesn't see any logical reason why she can't just pick up the clothes from the ground when she's done fighthing Ramiel. Her spread-out uniform on the bed from ep. 5 was in a similar state. You're most likely right about your other statement, too - Anno repeatedly used similarly 'neatly folded uniforms' in a "might not be comming back context", for example, with Asuka in the baththub in episode 24, and Rei III in EoE. And man, you know someone is nervous when they neatly fold their UNDERPANTS. (181)

Well, two of my three sisters are really messy, the other one is very tidy. So, I guess don't know what's "typical". I just know that I've always been able to tell when my sisters have gotten dressed in the bathroom because I couldn't see the floor underneath layers and layers of wardrobe. But you're right about Rei's thinking of her mess. She probably just wasn't ordered to clean up after herself.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:11 pm

View Original PostLeighton wrote:
#338 - My eyes watered at this scene - I actually felt happy at Rei's first expression of joy as a result of Shinji's care for her.

It's by far not her first expression - Behold: Anger, mild annoyance, implied fear, relief and several instances of happiness.

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:48 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:It's by far not her first expression - Behold: Anger, mild annoyance, implied fear, relief and several instances of happiness.

I meant it was the first time I saw her cheerful in front of Shinji
Unless I'm wrong let me know

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:07 pm

View Original PostLeighton wrote:I meant it was the first time I saw her cheerful in front of Shinji
Unless I'm wrong let me know

Sorry, I though you meant something like her first expresion at all.
Just a stupid misunderstanding on my part, just forget it.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:50 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:
289: Enjoy this moment Rei fans, this one of the few significant things Rei will ever do in an Eva. However, it also one of the most badass things any of the pilots will do and works as character development as well.

That seems grossly unfair. Let's see.... Rushing Zeruel with that N2, spearing Arael, self-destructing to save Shinji from Armisael...
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

bigbadtyrant
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby bigbadtyrant » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:41 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:That seems grossly unfair. Let's see.... Rushing Zeruel with that N2, spearing Arael, self-destructing to save Shinji from Armisael...

Not to mention her significance in EoE....
From the shadows i come!!!

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

View Original Postbigbadtyrant wrote:Not to mention her significance in EoE....

...And doing away with Kaworu's AT-field.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:04 pm

For clarification, I meant significant things while piloting an Evangelion Unit, so all the EoE stuff and dispersing Kaworu's AT Field doesn't count. Besides, I didn't say it was the only thing, I just said it was one of the few things and certainly the only one we'll see for several episodes. FWIW, Rei does more than Asuka.

BTW: Feel free to fix my horrible grammar for the comments, I think I left out a few linking verbs and I'd hate for people to think I don't know English.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:22 am

312: The way that Shinji removes Unit 00's armor in Rebuild is more epic.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:34 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:
338: Congratulations, Shinji! You have been welcomned into the small circle of people who are allowed to see that smile.
The 'blush lines' (The Rebuild and death and Rebirth renderings of that scene make it more obvious that this was meant to be a blush) indicate that this smile is genuine, i.e, she's not doing it just because he told her to, but mainly because the afore mentioned realization.
Needless to say, this is the point where they fall in love. This is, like many other things, emphasized in Rebuild, where they go as far as, for all intents and purposes, holding hands.

Of course we'll have to see the two remaining installments to know for certain, but I agree they are in love in Rebuild. But if you are saying that they fall in love at this point in the series you are probably overstating it, at least on Shinji's part.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:04 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Of course we'll have to see the two remaining installments to know for certain, but I agree they are in love in Rebuild. But if you are saying that they fall in love at this point in the series you are probably overstating it, at least on Shinji's part.

I'm not sure of that - And even if it was to early to call it full-blown love (I do not claim to be above the effects of shipping goggles), at least the romantic-ish feelings/beginning teenager crush must've started in this instant, because... when else? Anno did not have many ideas as to what to do with Rei in the action arc, (see the Anno quote someone else posted earlier), when that plot thread finally gets picked up again in the dummy plug arc, the warm fuzzy feelings were pretty much already there, in suffient quantities for Rei to show visible nervousness/embarassment in reaction to what she thought to be a compliment...

Oh and (From the long version of the preview):

02: Of course, you cannot deconstruct the mecha genre without deconstructing the idea of mechas themselves. Also, stay tunes for funny robots in the next episode!

03: ... which of course, true to the cliché, will get out of control.

05: After the recent earthquake, the whole nuclear reactor plot in ep 07 which was probably meant to be yet another sci-fi cliché to make fun of inside a dorky robot has a painful sting to it that it was never meant to have. It's a bit like the "And I don't have a gun" line in "Come as you are"....

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:08 pm

I'm not arguing that Rei wasn't in love with Shinji; I'm arguing that Shinji was never in love with Rei. This is, however, the point where they would have fallen in love in a normal show.
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:56 pm

So since this is winding down, what's the schedule for seven and beyond?
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:20 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I'm not arguing that Rei wasn't in love with Shinji; I'm arguing that Shinji was never in love with Rei. This is, however, the point where they would have fallen in love in a normal show.

I thought about the possibily of R/S being unrequited after someone mentioned it in a thread, and while I think that Shinji did show sighn of atraction, I'm aware that most of these aren't exactly unambiguous, I can tell where the people who say they're just friends are comming from, but the fact that he counts her among the 3 women he's attracted to in ep 20 and bits of 26' put any doubts aside.
The ones who ship 'em and see this as the moment where it all began aren't exactly an obscure crack-pairing group, so there might be a reason for the impression I got...

---

On an intresting Note, after I watched NGE with my sister (Not EoE, I'll wait until she's older for that...) and asked her which girl she thought should get togethjer with Shinji, she gaped at me with large eyes and said: "Asuka and Shinji were in love? When? How so?" For the sake of Neutrality/accuracy, I pointed her towards the most obvious scenes that could be cited as proof and tried my best to explain the relationship dynamics to her. I have no idea how in the milky way she could overlook the obvious romantic setup there(Then again, my sister is relatively new to anime, she might've been unfamiliar with the concept of a Tsundere), but this reminded me that what is considered "obvious sighn of attraction" is relative.

That aside, we're pretty much done here. - didnt you say something about reopening eps 1-4 as long as you're busy translating 7?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:32 am

I'm going to rest my "cut & paste" finger for just a few days and then re-open 1-4, one at a time, not all at once.

I'm not certain how long the wait will be for Ep. 07 because I don't know its translation status. OMF is the editor who is in touch with our translators and I can't get in touch with him until he finishes writing his doctoral thesis. (It shouldn't be much longer.)
I am all there is.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:36 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:I'm going to rest my "cut & paste" finger for just a few days and then re-open 1-4, one at a time, not all at once.

I'm not certain how long the wait will be for Ep. 07 because I don't know its translation status. OMF is the editor who is in touch with our translators and I can't get in touch with him until he finishes writing his doctoral thesis. (It shouldn't be much longer.)

I feel so special in getting to make Eva commentary! Thank you :)

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”