Angels making contact with Adam

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Leighton
Lilith

Angels making contact with Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:56 am

I'm unclear on this fact from the evawiki on the Angel's version of Third Impact:

"Achieved by an Angel reuniting with Adam, being held in Tokyo-3"

Do they mean the physical Adam that is currently held in embryonic form?
If so, what would be the process?? - would the meeting/merging between an angel and Adam create a global anti-at field?

Isn't it the protection of Lilith that Nerv is worried about? The angels always descend towards Lilith as opposed to Adam don't they?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:34 am

The Angel section ought to mention Lilith, yeah. It does mention what would theoretically happen if an Angel made contact with Adam, though.

Like what happened during Second Impact where all life was erased in Antarctica (aside from Misato), presumably, an Angel reuniting with Adam will result in Adam generating a world-wide Anti A.T. Field, eliminating all Lilith-based life on the planet, from bacteria to humans. The result of Second Impact was what Fuyutsuki describes in Episode 12 as: "The South Pole, a world of death which permits no life to exist." Kaworu, in Episode 24, also mentions that "Because it's my destiny to continue to live even if it may result in the destruction of humanity", implying that his goal to reunite with Adam would cause the end of humanity.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

nomis1242
Lilith

Re: Angels making contact with Adam

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:57 am

View Original PostLeighton wrote:I'm unclear on this fact from the evawiki on the Angel's version of Third Impact
Welcome a a minefield topic!!!

View Original PostLeighton wrote:"Achieved by an Angel reuniting with Adam, being held in Tokyo-3"
Yeah, I really think this statement in the wiki needs a reference (there's a lot of stuff in the 3rd impact page that makes unsupported claims)

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Do they mean the physical Adam that is currently held in embryonic form?
If so, what would be the process?? - would the meeting/merging between an angel and Adam create a global anti-at field?
I presume they mean the embryo, but it's possible that the Angels don't realise that Adam's soul is missing, so maybe they're in for a big letdown when they get the embryo.

View Original PostLeighton wrote:Isn't it the protection of Lilith that Nerv is worried about? The angels always descend towards Lilith as opposed to Adam don't they?

2nd question 1st: Angels 1-5 are after Lilith, because Adam is somewhere else. Angel 6 is after the Adam's embryo. The rest, we can't tell because Adam and Lilith are both in Tokyo 3 from them on. And Kaworu is just confused (and confusing!).

As for Nerv being more concerned about Lilith than Adam, this goes back to whether angel + adam = 3rd impact. Classified Info says "Some of them were trying to access Lilith and reset all life...and some were trying to recover their progenitor Adam". Does this wording imply that adam+angel doesn't cause 3rd impact (eg some angels just wanted to hug their mum or something)??? I dunno.

Sorry, my reply is more questions but no real answers!

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:56 am

Some of it may have come from the 3rd impact entry in the wiki:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_%28Translation%29#Third_Impact

Though the layers of information doesn't really make it any less ambiguous.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:09 am

The main in-series source for this would be Ep. 19; Kaji flat out tells Shinji that an Angel contacting Adam would cause Third Impact.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:12 am

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:The main in-series source for this would be Ep. 19; Kaji flat out tells Shinji that an Angel contacting Adam would cause Third Impact.

Well, the problem with Kaji is that he also tells Misato that Lilith is Adam. So either Kaji doesn't know as much as he thinks he knows, or he's just plain unreliable.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:31 pm

^He also delivers the Adam embryo to Gendo though, so maybe he was aware that Lilith wasn't Adam, making your second suggestion the most likely.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:47 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Perhaps Adam simply can't be used by the Angels as an embryo. That would explain why it wasn't better guarded or looked after, and might also contribute to an explanation as to why Kaworu, after being told where it was, didn't head right for Gendo, knowing that he'd have no use for it.

After all, every Impact we see requires a big SOL body of some kind or another -- be it Adam, Lilith, or an Eva.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

nomis1242
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby nomis1242 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:12 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Some of it may have come from the 3rd impact entry in the wiki:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/Classified_Information_%28Translation%29#Third_Impact

Though the layers of information doesn't really make it any less ambiguous.

Thanks. Yeah all the qualifiers ("Nerv's personnel are told that...", "It is thought that...", "The alleged reality...") means the Classified Info text for 3rd Impact isn't very helpful.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:19 pm

View Original Postnomis1242 wrote:Thanks. Yeah all the qualifiers ("Nerv's personnel are told that...", "It is thought that...", "The alleged reality...") means the Classified Info text for 3rd Impact isn't very helpful.

Qualifiers are a pervasive feature of NGE-related literature. Is this just a stylistic thing, or does it mean that the writers aren't even sure? I have no idea. But even in the show, we get similar kinds of statements that end having to be elevated to fact since they're never contradicted and no other information is ever provided.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:23 pm

Pardon me if this is a silly question, but why didn't Third Impact occur when the Angels made contact with the Evangelions? With the exception of Unit-01, aren't they clones of Adam? Is it because they have human souls inside of them?

Jessemon
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:41 pm

View Original Postrhfxz1s wrote:Pardon me if this is a silly question, but why didn't Third Impact occur when the Angels made contact with the Evangelions? With the exception of Unit-01, aren't they clones of Adam? Is it because they have human souls inside of them?

I think it's a combination of the fact they are clones (so they aren't actually Adam), and the fact that they don't have Adam's soul either. Of course, I could be wrong about the second part, because Adam's physical form (the embryo) doesn't have it's soul for entire series, yet Gendo and Co. are still worried about the angels causing 3rd impact.
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

I don't think the clone thing matters, because Seele was still able to initiate 3I with Unit-01, which was a clone of Lilith.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:48 pm

For whatever it's worth, Gendo et al. do get worried enough to sortie Eva-01 when that big pile of Angels grows out of Eva-00's back. (This thread asked about what might have eventually happened, but it didn't seem to really get anywhere.)

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:I don't think the clone thing matters, because Seele was still able to initiate 3I with Unit-01, which was a clone of Lilith.

I think they were doing special shit to circumvent the fact that Lilith couldn't be used for their purposes. Would Angels be able to use Eva-01 for theirs, without being similarly "prepared"? I dunno. This is one reason why I wonder what would have happened if Armisael was allowed to have her way with both Evas.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:02 pm

Reichu wrote:I think they were doing special shit to circumvent the fact that Lilith couldn't be used for their purposes.

Or maybe it had to do with the fact that Unit-01 had absorbed the S2 organ...either way, I agree with you in the matter that 3I had to have special circumstances to occur and couldn't be a simple "Angel touch Adam make explosion" situation.

Reichu wrote:This is one reason why I wonder what would have happened if Armisael was allowed to have her way with both Evas.

For that, I think it would be necessary to know what exactly the Angel Tower was, and what Armisael's goals were. One can only [s]fanwank[/s] wonder...
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

rhfxz1s
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby rhfxz1s » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:20 pm

View Original PostAshPhoenix wrote:I don't think the clone thing matters, because Seele was still able to initiate 3I with Unit-01, which was a clone of Lilith.
That's not the same 3I though. The Angel's version would eradicate all Lilith based life, while SEELE's version simply eradicated the AT fields. Also, that version of 3I involved the fusion of Adam and Lilith, not the contact of Angel and Adam.

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby AshPhoenix » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:38 pm

rhfxz1s wrote:The Angel's version would eradicate all Lilith based life, while SEELE's version simply eradicated the AT fields.

It may not have the same result, but it's the same basic concept: the destruction of all Lilith-based AT Fields. I think the only difference is what happens to those released souls (i.e, in Seele's version, the souls were collected in the Black Moon, whereas in the Angels' version, the souls would be destroyed/sent to the afterlife or whatever).

rhfxz1s wrote:Also, that version of 3I involved the fusion of Adam and Lilith, not the contact of Angel and Adam.

Yes, but it was still accomplished with a Lilith-"based" Eva-01, suggesting that there can be variation in 3I. Unless we could actually know what an Angel's 3I is like, we can't compare/contrast the two, so for simplicity's sake I'm assuming that there would be the same basic process going on both ways: an Anti-AT Field appears (whether it is from an Adam-Lilith amalgamation or simply Adam) and tears down the AT Fields of Lilith-based organisms, thus releasing their souls. And as I said before, the difference would be in what happens to their souls. It seems to me that Seele's 3I was different from the Angels' only that Lilith was mixed in with all of the stuff going on (i.e, if Adam hadn't fused with Lilith or if an Adam-based being had been used rather than Eva-01, the end result would still be destruction of all Lilith-based lifeforms).

KogareruAsuka
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby KogareruAsuka » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:40 am

Ok... this may sound a bit silly... but isn't the Soul of Adam inside Kaworu?
Obviously the soul of Adam isn't going to trigger 3I by fusing with a lilin based body... but what is Adam going to do by reaching....Adam? Become GNK? Surely if that was the case- a "whole" Adam would have fared a little better with Misato's old man in the Antarctic... ie. 2I = bye bye ALL Lilim, not broken- embryonic Adam... so what would happen if he reached Lilith? The same thing? bye bye Ducks, Birds, Bees, Trees and Shinjis? And why not just use Eva 01? Seele did...

Meh... I've had a few beers and it's very late, so maybe my brain isn't working properly right now... will have a think about what I'm trying to say and hopefully come up with something coherent!
Scheiss!... Even without my umbilical cable attached... I've still got 12,000 plates of fortified armor! And I've got my AT field!...There's no way I can lose! EAT THIS ARSCHLOCH!

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:39 pm

View Original PostKogareruAsuka wrote:Ok... this may sound a bit silly... but isn't the Soul of Adam inside Kaworu?
Yes.

View Original PostKogareruAsuka wrote:but what is Adam going to do by reaching....Adam? Become GNK?
That's most likely. It seems an "impact" takes a lot out of a seed (note GNR's disintegration in EoE) so my theory is that they need that much mass of PWM to carry it out.

View Original PostKogareruAsuka wrote:Surely if that was the case- a "whole" Adam would have fared a little better with Misato's old man in the Antarctic... ie. 2I = bye bye ALL Lilim, not broken- embryonic Adam... so what would happen if he reached Lilith?
I'm not quite sure what you're saying/asking here...
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”