Irony of Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Irony of Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:01 pm

There was one poster who noted that the irony that Evangelion was designed to give a big "Get A Life", You Bastards' to otaku yet it becomes one of the most lucrative, well known franchises that spawns billions of fans and has a ton of products to boot. Evangelion is a rather notorious anime and Gainax has a lot of guts for trolling their fandom especially with the fanwankery that most fans create but with no word from the creators themselves. I enjoy the series nonetheless but I am sadly one of those viewers that Eva was targeting (I am looking for another job) yet it almost amazes me that EVa is saying, 'Get a life, you morons but still buy our DVDs and Asuka keychains". What do you think of this?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:10 pm

Don't confuse Anno with GAINAX. It's funny as much as Anno gets labeled as George Lucas of anime industry by some folks he really has never cared much for money or other things of "ordinary living", including food (well, he did say his sex drive was "average" :P )

But yes, Evangelion has to be one of the most unintentionally ironic creations ever made and this forum testifies its glorious, absolute failure.

Allemann
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Allemann » Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:20 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Don't confuse Anno with GAINAX. It's funny as much as Anno gets labeled as George Lucas of anime industry by some folks he really has never cared much for money or other things of "ordinary living", including food (well, he did say his sex drive was "average" :P )

Then why Rebuild, Xard? Before that Tomino was a hot contender with Anno for the position of George Lucas of Japanese animation, but now Anno is definitely the winner.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:02 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Then why Rebuild, Xard? Before that Tomino was a hot contender with Anno for the position of George Lucas of Japanese animation, but now Anno is definitely the winner.

I was talking about Anno of 90s but anyway making more money's hardly the main motivation behind Rebuild. If it was they could've just reanimated bits from tv series, splice it all together and put it out and swim in money. Now they're years behind the schedule (all films were supposed to come out by 2010) due to Anno's perfectionism and their seemingly genuine aim to - god help them - surpass the original.

In a certain way Reuild is more closely related to Cutie Honey live action film than Anno's previous works. In interviews regarding that camp flick Anno said it was his work he made with concern for enjoyment of audience etc. and Rebuild is made in same way and in same spirit (what's funny is that in general stuff in Rebuild that has got greatest ire and hatred towards Anno in fandom weren't even his own calls or originate from him! If anything these folks should accuse him of not becoming involved enough).

And Tomino doesn't even own Gundam franchise so I hardly see the point.
Last edited by Xard on Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:09 pm

Anno is probably planning some huge ending with the intent to drive the point [s]to Mexico[/s] home.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:49 pm

View Original PostTehDonutKing wrote:Anno is probably planning some huge ending with the intent to drive the point [s]to Mexico[/s] home.

I sure hope so. That's been my prediction since the moment I first saw 1.0.

That said, Anno does seem to have embraced the benefits of capitalism. Just look at the commercial he did for Nissan (Youtube it). And he certainly hasn't denounced all the ridiculous merchandise associated with Evangelion.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:15 pm

Anno did what a lot of young artists have done throughout history: denounce materialism and then make it rich and realize that materialism isn't so bad.

Many, many, many people have done this. Anno is not special in this regard my friends.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:18 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:And he certainly hasn't denounced all the ridiculous merchandise associated with Evangelion.
He's flabbergasted more than anything. Rei was supposed to be creepy, not moe.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm

View Original PostAllemann wrote:Then why Rebuild, Xard? Before that Tomino was a hot contender with Anno for the position of George Lucas of Japanese animation, but now Anno is definitely the winner.

Well, geez. One need to line up a job for himself somehow. Film is very much a freelance job in both Hollywood and Japanese studios. I think Ghibli is the only animation studio in Japan that had an actual permanent staff for a while. (Might still be the only one.) Most of the animation studios just hire freelance animators for projects over and over again. Money can be an objective without being obsessively greedy over it.

I think that's where Anno and Lucas differ. Say what you want bout his modern finished works, but at least Anno still writes decent scripts and pours himself over re-writes and solving various story-structure issues of his work. Lucas just shows up one day with a draft of the script he copied from his penciled ideas that kinda matches what the set designers were blindly working on and they decide to make it into a movie. One can see Anno actually earning his dough whereas Lucas is truly just slapping whatever crap he's dispensed of on a film strip and hand it to the audience with a pair of glasses. He literally doesn't direct movies anymore. He literally just shows the same film over and over again and the U.S. Star Wars otaku pay through the nose to let him do it to them.

It's almost worse than the monotony of Micheal Bay...

ShadowGT
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShadowGT » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:I sure hope so. That's been my prediction since the moment I first saw 1.0.

That said, Anno does seem to have embraced the benefits of capitalism. Just look at the commercial he did for Nissan (Youtube it). And he certainly hasn't denounced all the ridiculous merchandise associated with Evangelion.

Damn i think i need to go buy a Nissan now >_>
PSN: ShadowGT-R
Steam: Fatpizza20

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:23 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Well, geez. One need to line up a job for himself somehow. Film is very much a freelance job in both Hollywood and Japanese studios. I think Ghibli is the only animation studio in Japan that had an actual permanent staff for a while. (Might still be the only one.) Most of the animation studios just hire freelance animators for projects over and over again. Money can be an objective without being obsessively greedy over it.

Huh? I don't think Anno would be put any closer to the poorhouse for deciding not to create a new installment of his already multi-million-dollar franchise.

I think that's where Anno and Lucas differ. Say what you want bout his modern finished works, but at least Anno still writes decent scripts and pours himself over re-writes and solving various story-structure issues of his work.

And yet they're still only good enough to be defended as "Anno needed money"? I'm getting mixed messages here; I thought you liked the movies?

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:52 pm

I don't know why we have to be so black and white about it. The lesson of Eva isn't that you shouldn't like anime anymore, it's that it shouldn't be your entire life. Buying an Eva key chain doesn't invalidate that message.

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 pm

So Anno is consistent while Lucas is not, I wonder if I get still get those keychains? <.< >.>

Anno did what a lot of young artists have done throughout history: denounce materialism and then make it rich and realize that materialism isn't so bad.

Many, many, many people have done this. Anno is not special in this regard my friends.

So its not necessarily bad?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:31 pm

Materialism is an incredibly shallow state of mind. I doubt Anno is a shallow jerk who cares about money these days... bet he'd be either shy or snobbish in person.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

Merridian
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Merridian » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:05 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:Buying an Eva key chain doesn't invalidate that message.
I think the problem is when instead of a key chain, it's your 80th figurine, your third character-themed fleshlight, or even your first dakimakura. It's the degree to which merchandising goes that is of more irony than the idea of merchandising itself. But he was basically attacking a fandom in which derivative works like fan-comics and fanfictions, amateur-built models, and cosplay all thrived in abundance, to the point that whole fan-run markets opened for them. Either missing or outright disregarding the message of "get a life" should have been expected.

Combs
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Combs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 am

View Original PostMerridian wrote:...should have been expected.

Are you saying that from the very beginning they should've expected this?

Remember: Eva's original purpose was to exploit a loophole in Japanese tax law.
Proud founder, and sole member of A.I.D.S
"Can you bond with someone, over a television show? ...neuuugh?" -Craig Ferguson
"her BREASTS are like THE MAJOR'S from GHOAST In the MACHINE, She is like a person with CYBORG RADIATOR BREATSTS that do not WORK unless EXPOSED or in TIGHT CLOTHING or else the EXPELLED HEAT managed to SET THINGS ON FIRE" -chee, on misogyny

COACH
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby COACH » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:03 am

Care to elaborate?
「世界の中心でアイを叫んだけもの」
THE BEAST
ABSOLUTE TERROR FIELD

BornIn1142
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby BornIn1142 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:21 am

There's this urban legend moving around that Evangelion GAINAX wanted Evangelion to fail to make money off a tax cut or something like that. I assume it's just a more interesting spin on the true story of the company facing legal repercussions for under-reporting their profits from Eva's unexpected success.
"I'm afraid you can't create tragedy out of abnormal psychology." - Andrew Sarris.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:43 am

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Huh? I don't think Anno would be put any closer to the poorhouse for deciding not to create a new installment of his already multi-million-dollar franchise.

The Rebuild tetralogy is the first feature work Studio Khara is this heavily involved in animating. Before this, they only did some in-between work for Miyazaki's Ponyo. I'm not saying Anno is on his way to the poor house, but he wants/needs to line up jobs for those in his cool new studio other than in-between work for other movies. And seeing how profitable NGE was the first time around for GAINAX, this Rebuild tetralogy should be a good way for Studio Khara to kick off building a good financial standing and notable presence ("street cred" if you will) among other animation studios, so they could perhaps pursue some other original projects they may want to attempt in the future.

Think of it as a long disbanded rock band, who still may be getting royalties from their old songs, reforming and re-preforming all of their old tunes first to re-establish themselves within the culture so they can later branch off into preforming the more original works they've written. The Rebuild tetralogy is the film business version of that technique, and it seems to be working out for them so far.

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:And yet they're still only good enough to be defended as "Anno needed money"? I'm getting mixed messages here; I thought you liked the movies?

I do like Rebuild thus far. I'm just not turning a blind eye to other's opinions on his work, either. My little rant on Anno vs Lucas was more about the different mind-sets and situations of the two men that lead them to revitalize their franchises, as opposed to the similar cultural reactions to the revitalization of both franchises. I just didn't want it to turn into a "Rebuild's good vs bad" debate here, so I left my comment to be open to all opinions of the film and commented more on the men themselves.

As I said before, Anno's Studio Khara needs to be established in the animation community with these new Evangelion films. Lucas' ILM didn't need to be established with the newer Star Wars prequels, as they've been established with the original trilogy and have managed to find work consistently ever since. The cultural reactions to the franchises are definitely similar, but the approaches to the revitalization of the two franchises are not.

@TOPIC: I always saw episode 7's Jet Alone robot as Anno's bone to the toy-builders requests for simpler, cheaper design models. I don't know it that's true, though. But, yeah. Most of Anno's direction on NGE seemed to try and stray away from GIANAX's over merchandising tendencies. (Hyper detailed mecha designs, girls in bandages, a less proactive protagonist, ect.)

GasmaskAvenger
Re-Gyption Strut
Re-Gyption Strut

•      
  •      

Postby GasmaskAvenger » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Think of it as a long disbanded rock band, who still may be getting royalties from their old songs, reforming and re-preforming all of their old tunes first to re-establish themselves within the culture so they can later branch off into preforming the more original works they've written. The Rebuild tetralogy is the film business version of that technique, and it seems to be working out for them so far.

perfect analogy, IMO
Satsuki Kiryuin wants you to turn that frown upside down...
My AU Evangelion Fanfic | My Street Fighter fanfic
XBOX Live: GasmaskAvenger | PSN: GasmaskAvenger
Official "Grindhouse of Evangelion" Discussion, Updates and Cast Sign Up Thread.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”