Should my friends watch series together or separately?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Jessemon
Lilith

Should my friends watch series together or separately?

•      
  •      

Postby Jessemon » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:03 am

So approximately a year ago I came across NGE and set out to watch the series (culminating in EoE) by myself. I ended up watching the whole series in three days, and it had an incredibly profound impact on me. Well, finally (a year later), I have gotten my hands on the Platinum collection of DVDs (though I still only have EoE as video file), and my two best friends have shown a distinct interest in watching the series (neither of them like watching shows on their computers).

Which brings me to my question. Do you guys think that I should recommend that the two of them watch the series by themselves, or together? Having watched a lot of movies/shows both by myself and with other people, I can't help but notice that having other people in the room almost always has some effect on how each person experiences what they are watching. For instance, I think everyone at some point has probably been the only one to laugh or cry or be shocked at something they're watching while in a group of people, which can sometimes lead to that person feeling uncomfortable. Ultimately, everyone ends up trying to be ultra aware of each other reactions instead of just going with the flow of whatever they are watching.

Because NGE is such an emotional roller coaster (especially towards the end of the series), and tends to effect it's viewers on a very personal level, I've been leaning towards telling the two of them to watch the series by themselves so as to put their entire focus on the series and not each other.

I just wanted to get opinions from people here, as I assume many people have watched the series in a variety of different situations. Thanks!
"Your truth can be changed simply by the way you accept it. That's how fragile the truth for a human is." Hideaki Anno

Leighton
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Leighton » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:27 am

I personally decided to watch the series and the EoE so i wouldn't actually be disturbed by the reactions of others, or more particularly, my sister (who has seen the series too, but mostly by herself.)

I did this, more in favour of focusing on the ideas presented to me so i could form individual opinion and not be influenced by others, and more ultimately just to focus on the show without disturbance - in some bits i just needed to pause and think about it haha. (im actually not that seclusive, rather, i just liked Evangelion so much from the first episode that i felt i needed to watch it bymyself before seeing it with others)

Now im trying to get her to watch the movies with me - she hasnt seen them yet...

Anyways, yes it is true that having other people simply in your presence can influence your experience whilst watching evangelion, or any film/show. My brother occassionally watches episodes and when im there, i notice i do react differently in comparison to watching it in isolation.

So i'd say, get them to see everything by themselves FIRST, then watch it together as to nullify first reactions - other reactions can in a sense, be very influential and change their individual perspectives of the scenes, themes w/e if they were to watch it together.

edit: Welcome to Evageeks, i joined recently also to help stave off my obsession :)

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:10 pm

I watched the series in dub for quite a while. When the movies and director's cuts were out, and Platinum was coming out, I decided to watch the whole series in Japanese for the first time. It was quite an experience, and part of that was that I watched it in a relatively short time span with a small group of friends.

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:23 pm

It depends on the friends. If they can show quiet respect to what is being watched I don't see any harm in watching it together. What I find irritating about watching films with others is the live commentary surprisingly many like to provide. I prefer watching Evangelion alone since its impact is at best when you give it some thought on your own at first.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:31 pm

Heckling is reserved for films like Mazes and Monsters, not Evangelion.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:55 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Heckling is reserved for films like Mazes and Monsters, not Evangelion.

My experience says otherwise. One friend who had quite enjoyed the series despite being confused at points retroactively declared the entire thing a waste of time after I showed him EoE. Compared to his reaction my hatred for EoE!Shinji is TAME.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:15 pm

I'd recommend watching it together, if only to explain kimochi warui and any noticeable mistranslations.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:24 pm

Eva is not a show for group watching

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:50 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Heckling is reserved for films like Mazes and Monsters, not Evangelion.
beware the sacrilege :wink:

and what Xard said
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:42 pm

Heckling is reserved for movies like 2001:A Space Odyssey.

liquidus118
Zeruel
Zeruel

Re: Should my friends watch series together or separately?

•      
  •      

Postby liquidus118 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:43 pm

It depends on what kind of people they are, really. I'm currently watching it with some friends - in fact they're coming over to watch episodes 13-24 on Tuesday - and they seem to be enjoying it more with other people around, whilst I'd prefer watching it for the first time by myself.

If they seem like particularly sociable or cheerful people then maybe they'd prefer watching it with friends, if they're more serious or introverted then maybe on their own would be better. Since we don't know them personally it's hard to say.

Though in general I'd recommend that they watch it on their own if they aren't likely to get bored of it before it gets to the juicy stuff episode 15/16 onwards.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:58 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My experience says otherwise.

View Original PostTHE Hal E. Burton 9000 wrote:beware the sacrilege :wink:

That's a stated opinion, not a stated fact.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:00 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Eva is not a show for group watching

Incorrect.

I watched it the first time through by myself. Second time with a group, introducing it to three of my friends. They all wound up loving it as a result. I see no reason not to watch it with a group.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:29 pm

I watched it alone the first time and then later with some friends. It was fine with friends but I'm glad I watched it alone first.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:34 pm

When I watched it with a friend, he kept asking me questions. When I lent him my DVDs and he watched it alone, he went on Wikipedia. You're screwed both ways.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:47 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:That's a stated opinion, not a stated fact.

Actually as an anecdote it is a fact, though I make no claim that it is a generally applicable one.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:51 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Eva is not a show for group watching

Didn't Misato during one of the next episode previews say "watch it with friends" rather than her usual "more fanservice" announcement? I forget the episode, though. It was somewhere around Toji's Eva 03 incident I think.

If Eva was a direct commentary on otaku, I wonder what that statement was to mean...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:00 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Didn't Misato during one of the next episode previews say "watch it with friends" rather than her usual "more fanservice" announcement? I forget the episode, though. It was somewhere around Toji's Eva 03 incident I think.

If Eva was a direct commentary on otaku, I wonder what that statement was to mean...

Anno was just being a jerkass as usual

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:09 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Anno was just being a jerkass as usual

Haha! "Watch it with your friends! Oh, wait. You don't have any."

Spud
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Spud » Sun Feb 27, 2011 10:05 pm

I think they should watch it alone. Mostly so they can form their own opinions about it (like it/hate it) without worrying about what you'll think. Also so they can have their own genuine reactions and not feel they should hide them for fear of possible belittlement (long shot I know but it would take away from the experience)
Lastly, I get pissed off when people comment on commercials let alone the program it self. That kind of stuff is just so annoying.
Last edited by Spud on Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
�We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.� ~ Carlos Castaneda
"Blessed, truly blessed, are those who have not known devastation " Antigone

I am the Verizon of the desert

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”