Rei's portrayal in rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jornophelanthas
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jornophelanthas » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:02 am

At this point, it is entirely unclear whether Rebuild-Rei even has Lilith's soul.

- She could have (an) Adam's soul (and Kaworu could then have Lilith's soul), which is my own pet theory.
- She could have Yui's soul (but without Yui's memories).
- She could have a blank soul thrust into a 14-year-old body.
- She could have a regular human soul with a case of autism.
- She could have Lilith's soul after all.
- Her soul could consist of multiple fragments of different human and/or Angel souls fused together into one, or some other such exotic variant.

Not all of these options are as likely as some of the others. But I am giving you this listing to emphasize that the mystery of Rei Ayanami could prove to be a different one in Rebuild of Evangelion.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:56 pm

NGE Rei didn't seem to care about anything at all unless it involved Gendo. At least up until EoE where she tended to care more for Shinji. This Rei seems more open to do things outside of Gendo's orders. I can't see NGE Rei cooking a meal for others in a million years. I also like how she has become less introverted. She still has the quietness aspect, but she seems to be breaking her own shell, whereas NGE Rei just kind of stayed inside the shell and then it just exploded open randomly near the end of the show.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:06 pm

Sorry, Ornette. My bad.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:Sorry, Ornette. My bad.

I didn't do anything, unless you were talking about the mod post I made almost a year ago. Someone else merged your thread to an existing one about Rei.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:11 pm

Sorry, Ornette. I'm still a bit of a newbie when it comes to forum etiquette.
:shinchair:
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:31 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:NGE Rei didn't seem to care about anything at all unless it involved Gendo. At least up until EoE where she tended to care more for Shinji. This Rei seems more open to do things outside of Gendo's orders. I can't see NGE Rei cooking a meal for others in a million years. I also like how she has become less introverted. She still has the quietness aspect, but she seems to be breaking her own shell, whereas NGE Rei just kind of stayed inside the shell and then it just exploded open randomly near the end of the show.

Eeeeeh. I'd say Rei was moving out of Gendo's (exclusive) sphere of influence from Ramiel onwards. It's something Asuka certainly picks up on (to her chagrin). Her behavior in the Leliel situation both when ordered to retreat and when Asuka is complaining about Shinji being foolish shows that he's become a figure of some importance to her. Nevermind that when Shinji woke up, she had been apparently waiting (with similarly-inclined Asuka skulking in the hall instead). It's much more gradual, but then, the series has more time to work with.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:37 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:Eeeeeh. I'd say Rei was moving out of Gendo's (exclusive) sphere of influence from Ramiel onwards. It's something Asuka certainly picks up on (to her chagrin). Her behavior in the Leliel situation both when ordered to retreat and when Asuka is complaining about Shinji being foolish shows that he's become a figure of some importance to her. Nevermind that when Shinji woke up, she had been apparently waiting (with similarly-inclined Asuka skulking in the hall instead). It's much more gradual, but then, the series has more time to work with.
I think it's those gradual things that I guess just didn't catch my eye. As I said, I don't really see NGE Rei doing some things that rebuild Rei does no matter how far we get into the story. Maybe if the show was a longer series we could have. But I guess in Rebuild, Rei's openness has to be sped up to match how fast Rebuild is going. However, when you compare it to NGE Rei, Rebuild Rei might have jumped the gun when it comes to opening up to others.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:40 pm

Oh I agree, Rebuild Rei is different from her counterpart. She's much more direct and seems to have a better understanding of what her feelings are - or, at least, what she wants to do with them.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:45 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:or, at least, what she wants to do with them.
I don't know if I would say that. Rei in EoE kind of had an idea of what she really wanted to do for herself, even if all it was was just "Help Shinji." But she seemed happy with that, and I would count that as her knowing what she wants to do with her feelings (even if cost the rest of humanity turning into tang). Of course I could be WAY off with this as I'm never good at analyzing these things.

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:22 pm

It took Rei in the series a lot longer to act on her feelings, though, I'd say - hell, Rei II didn't have her full realization until moments before her death.

Rebuild Rei seemed to have gained a notion and acted on it more quickly.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:37 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:Rebuild Rei seemed to have gained a notion and acted on it more quickly.
Well yeah, but that just goes back to the earlier comment on how the process is sped up because Rebuild goes at a different pace.

Off topic: I have a square above my head, what does that mean?

Der Kommissar
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Der Kommissar » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:56 pm

Probably a rank indicator. You get more as your post count goes up. Lots of forums use these.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:15 pm

View Original PostDer Kommissar wrote:Oh I agree, Rebuild Rei is different from her counterpart. She's much more direct and seems to have a better understanding of what her feelings are - or, at least, what she wants to do with them.

I would disagree here. IMO the Rei from the new movies is a logical extension of what we see during the resolution of the Ramiel arc, and is who NGE Rei would become had she been given proper development instead of being forced to the back burner once Asuka showed up. IOW both Reis start at the same place, but one gets to develop and the other doesn't (as much).

That said, the preview for Q suggests things will be different this time around in that, at the very least, the Reis are not limited to one soul. What this says about both her origins and her ultimate destiny remains to be seen.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Jumping to a new Rei discussion

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:44 pm

Will we still be seeing the child Rei's in 3.0? I feel like they represent something (possible future clones after Rei II?) And the fact they seem to be hiding behind the older Rei makes me think that if Rei II were to die like in NGE, the next in line might not keep the same development that the previous Rei had. But if that were the case, there seems to be more than just three clones here. There seems to be about five if you include a Rei I being in the past like NGE.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Jumping to a new Rei discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:27 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Will we still be seeing the child Rei's in 3.0? I feel like they represent something (possible future clones after Rei II?) And the fact they seem to be hiding behind the older Rei makes me think that if Rei II were to die like in NGE, the next in line might not keep the same development that the previous Rei had. But if that were the case, there seems to be more than just three clones here. There seems to be about five if you include a Rei I being in the past like NGE.

We have no reason to think there was a Rei I in the past.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:38 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:We have no reason to think there was a Rei I in the past.
That was a simple what if statement really, nothing we can't really know until 3.0 comes out.

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:13 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:We have no reason to think there was a Rei I in the past.

In fact, we do know that the Rei we see in Rebuild is Rei II. You can see "Rei II" engraved on the collar that she is wearing while she is in the tank in Rebuild 2.0, just before Gendo comes in to pick her up to go eat.

By extension, we could say that there was a Rei I before this one.
Last edited by riffraff11235 on Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Steam - rifffraff11235

Osu! - riffraff11235

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:14 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:By extension, we could say that there was a Rei I before this one.

I was going to say that but you ninja-ed me. Well, I took a screenshot, I could post it anyway:
SPOILER: Show

However I completely agree with Bagheera on Rei's missed development.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:22 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:In fact, we do know that the Rei we see in Rebuild is Rei II. YO\ou can see "Rei II" engraved on the collar that she is wearing while she is in the tank in Rebuild 2.0, just before Gendo comes in to pick her up to go eat.

By extension, we could say that there was a Rei I before this one.

True, but we don't know that she's dead. For all we know one of those child-Reis could be Rei I (clones, remember; if you can build 'em like that you can age them to be however old you like, so appearances don't mean much).

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:33 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:True, but we don't know that she's dead. For all we know one of those child-Reis could be Rei I (clones, remember; if you can build 'em like that you can age them to be however old you like, so appearances don't mean much).
Would the older Rei be Rei II? considering she's the only Rei we have seen so far in Rebuild it makes sense, but I have no idea what's with her uniform though. Isn't that from another Eva media?

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”