Kare Kano - his / her circumstances - yet more anno magic

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

utero2001
Embryo

Kare Kano - his / her circumstances - yet more anno magic

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:00 pm

Now this series is highly underrated and deserves more respect than it gets.

Again its got the same feel as EVA, as it delves into the seem consiousness off two young lovers. Good thing this is'nt typical cutesy lovey dovey anime. Its really interesting and gripping to watch. All my friends have seen it and (as most of them hate EVA) they all loved it.

This was done not long after EVA, by the crew at Gainax, and features some of the voices in EVA (jap). Its a pity because the people who made it were certain it was going to get as much respect and attension that EVA did in 95-96 and so on.

Anyway, its out on DVD all over the place now, so I doubt fansubs are easy to find.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 10, 2004 12:32 am

I adored the first 15-20 epsiodes of Kare Kano. It just kept getting better. But 2/3 of the way through, it just goes to hell in a hand basket, and doesn't have anything even remotely resembling a conclusion.

Why?

Anno estranged himself from the production.

There's a bit more to it than that, but essentially, due to Anno's estrangement from the production, Kare Kano ended up with an even more unsatisfactory ending than Eva. And thats a feat. I love it to death, but I also hate it for its extreme downward spiral in the later episodes.

I want to read the manga, so I can see what happens to the characters.

utero2001
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Sat Jul 10, 2004 5:21 am

I want to read the manga, so I can see what happens to the characters.

Yeah the mangas supposed to go further than simply the play. And also as Kare Kano came from the mangas originally, it turns out that thats only half of the complete story. The other part deals with the males side of things. I think they're still making the manga atm

Anno estranged himself from the production.

what do you mean?, I could tell that they could'nt be as bothered with making it, from money problems etc?

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:48 pm

Kare Kano.... Isn't that also known as his and her circumstances?
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:39 pm

Kareshi no Kanojo no Jiju, referred to as Kare Kano. Literally tranlated to "The story of he and she", licensed as "His and Her Circumstances".

Anno "estranged" himself by becoming increasingly more distant, doing less, and leaving more to his assistant director Kazuya Tsurumaki. Hence why it changed and falls apart towards the end.

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jul 14, 2004 1:57 am

Kare Kano is wonderful, I have the DVDs and I'm reading the manga now as it picks up where the anime left off. Asaba has to be my favourite character.

Didn't the ending crap out because it just falls short of the manga? There should have been more seasons but the author didn't like that the show was gravitating to comedy more than she would like, and that the romance wasn't enough or something like that. So they had to end the series short. At least that's what I thought, and the information I'm basing it off of is somewhat limited. And I had no idea Anno affected the production like that.

utero2001
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby utero2001 » Wed Jul 14, 2004 3:37 am

From what I've read, they decided that it was the suitable place to end the series. Quite rightly I would of liked to at least see the play that they were planning.

As it was closely following the mangas, it finished just in the right place, as that completed the girls side of the story. It refers in the series at the end that "thats another story" or something or other. I think the mangas either start the story again from the boys point of view, or continues where they left off and centers more on him (think the second is more obvious :lol: )
I don't think that another 26 part series would of helped it, as Monkey said the series does drop greatly towards the end, so if Anno can't be arsed to finish the first series, what interest is he going to have in making more of the same?

hehehe, he lets it all go and delves into making EBICHU!!!!!

and don't we LOVE EBICHU!!! :P

Soluzar
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Soluzar » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:05 pm

So... I was thinking of reading the manga, actually. I figure that I can afford to blow the £6 per manga on something I might not enjoy, whereas I wouldn't want to waste the dough for a DVD volume without a guarantee of quality... What I'm hearing is that I made the right choice! Manga, good - anime bad! Anyone got any negative reports on the manga. Bear in mind when writing, I certainly have no objection to romantic manga/anime. I'm a huge fan of KOR and Maison Ikkoku to name but two.

And yeah, Ebichu is entertaining, God bless the person who introduced me to that show! ;)
Natsukashii, ne?

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:21 pm

every Eva fan should check out Kare Kano, even with its lesser second half. A lot of interesting experimentation actually came out of the second half, like an episode animated entirely using paper cutouts on popsicle sticks!

the manga picks up where the anime left off in volume 7.

Shwiggie
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shwiggie » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:28 pm

I bought His and Her Circumstances from TRSI a little before Christmas for $40...the best $40 I ever spent on anime. I absolutely loved that show, but the ending was horrid. But that's what happens when the comic is still in production at the same time the anime is...GTO had the same problem storywise.

Here's a review I wrote for the show. And I really enjoyed the mangas of Kare Kano that I bought after seeing the series...the downright evil way the show ended was negated for me after reading the following volumes.

Otaprince
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Otaprince » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:42 pm

it seems to be a misconception on this thread that Kare Kano's abrupt ending is because the manga was still running. There are tons of shows that get created and finish before their original manga-- in some cases, the anime company will create an original ending (like with Fullmetal Alchemist), sometimes not (like Rurouni Kenshin).

Anno originally planned to write his own ending to Kare Kano, but it's rumored that Gainax's relationship with Masami Tsuda (the manga creator) turned sour. She was unhappy with the way Gainax brought her story to life. There also may or may not have been a conflict with the show's sponsor, TV Tokyo-- remember that the last time Anno wrote an original ending was Evangelion, which resulted in years of controversy and two full films to finally wrap up. In any case, Anno largely stepped aside and left the show in the hands of underlings at Gainax. To make things worse, Gainax ran out of money toward the end like it does every time.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

His And Her Circumstances

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:23 am

I couldn't find a thread on this. Be interested to see what a lot of people on here think of Anno's anime project after Evangelion.

Personally I'm just enamored with how much he was able to achieve with such a tiny budget and animation minimalism and some of the episodes he personally directed rank up in some of the best work of his career (my favorite Anno episodes being the first 4 and episode 14 when we see Yukino's parents backstory...also the last episode Anno personally directed on the show before he left).
I see a lot of love for Gunbuster on here but very little for His and Her (or Karekano if you like it that way) or even Nadia.

I'm curious.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:31 am

Actually, there are a few:

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1943
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1828
http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?t=1461

Marzan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Marzan » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:42 am

Soluzar wrote:So... I was thinking of reading the manga, actually. I figure that I can afford to blow the £6 per manga on something I might not enjoy, whereas I wouldn't want to waste the dough for a DVD volume without a guarantee of quality... What I'm hearing is that I made the right choice! Manga, good - anime bad! Anyone got any negative reports on the manga. Bear in mind when writing, I certainly have no objection to romantic manga/anime. I'm a huge fan of KOR and Maison Ikkoku to name but two.

And yeah, Ebichu is entertaining, God bless the person who introduced me to that show! ;)

I've read the whole manga and i have to say that if you like romantic manga/anime, you'll enjoy all of it. The only problem I have with it is that I feel it's too long with a couple of more story arcs towards to end.

The first 2/3 of the anime is superb. Anno's minimalist tratment of the story makes it even better in my opinion.
And everything under the Sun is in tune, but the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon- Roger Waters

"Timeo hominem unius libris"

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:20 am

Marzan wrote:Anno's minimalist tratment of the story makes it even better in my opinion.

I would hardly call Kare Kano minimalistic. If you forget the few sketchy shots, it is quite the opposite to minimalism.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Sep 18, 2009 3:25 am

Gendo's Papa, Anno directed first 18 eps of anime - ep 16 is last one he is directly credited for but eps 17 & 18 are blatantly Anno in they directing: especially 18

Kare Kano is magnificent masterpiece for its run under Anno and pretty much perfect freewheeling avant gardish and bipolar comedy romance with brilliant cast, great music and absolutely perfect directing.

I wrote huge review of show into IMDB but unfortunately that thread was lost... It's 10/10 under in its Anno-phase. Never ending brilliance of editing, camerawork, experimental techniques, words etc. make it formally nearly all time greatest anime. Nearly

The way Anno mixes up strange animation techniques, fucking live action material out of nowhere, associative editing and all around EoTV goodness is beyond awesome.

And what's most important script is great show is incredibly funny - quite propably funniest anime I've ever seen

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:19 am

Xard wrote:I wrote huge review of show into IMDB but unfortunately that thread was lost...
We must remember to save what we write in those threads. IMDb fucking eats threads.

Xard wrote:It's 10/10 under in its Anno-phase. Never ending brilliance of editing, camerawork, experimental techniques, words etc. make it formally nearly all time greatest anime. Nearly
I almost entirely agree. I loved the series and really need to see it again.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:52 pm

I have to agree with the consensus here, absolutely brilliant show that ends on a horrible nosedive. Honestly,
SPOILER: Show
the sex scene in Episode 18 is one of the single, most beautifully executed scenes of its kind that I've seen in my life. I've never thought that a sex scene could be so emotionally strong, but this one was. I was nearly moved to tears.

I kind of wish that Anno makes a Rebuild of Kare Kano just to give it a proper ending, but I doubt that would ever happen or if it even should happen.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:29 am

As I understand there was a huge rift between what Anno wanted to do with the series and what the manga's author Masami Tsuda wanted. Anno preferred to balance the comedy with the romance and also wanted to write his own ending for the series that would conclude their storylines around the 26 episode mark.
The author didn't like that and some legal battles of ownership or what ensued and Anno said "Fudge it, I'm gonna go make my first live action movie."

Personally I agree with Anno's view. End the series in high school and (hopefully) make it a bit more ambiguous and adult. Looking at the character pages on Wikipedia it certainly looks like the series gets more outlandish, tired and even "Twilight-esque" as the story progresses. Apparently Hideaki Asaba ("eh...Asaba Hideaki Dinner Show?") marries one of Arima & Yukino's children when she turns 16. ....Cause he fell in love with a baby?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kare_Kano_characters

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:42 am

The manga gets quite ridiculous after the point the show ended at. There's an awesome story arc built around a school play, but after that it becomes so bad I can't read much further. I dropped it fast back when I was reading it.
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”