Shinji is a horny user.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CazMu
Embryo

Shinji is a horny user.

Postby CazMu » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:09 am

In episode, after Asuka kissis Shinji, seems to be the only time when Shinji is intrested in Asuka's wellbeing
Shinji says: Whats wrong, you look upset.
The Asuka shouts and he saying: 'Thats because you kissed me you jerk'
So what does this mean?
Also if you notice, Kaji and Asuka and also very similar in that episode.
Asuka and Kaji are both the 'dominant' ones kissing. Also, if you notice refering to the being used thing above. Kaji aswell as Asuka also feels 'used'
'Commander Ikari is using me to his own ends' So could this mean anything at all?
Sorry if this make no sense!
This Shit's Gone Way Too Far

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:15 pm

...Um...the fuck?

The title implies you're suggesting that Shinji is a perverted "user" who treats people with emotional coercion and manipulation to get what he wants, but...what?
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

Re: Shinji is a horny user.

Postby esselfortium » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:34 pm

View Original PostCazMu wrote:In episode, after Asuka kissis Shinji, seems to be the only time when Shinji is intrested in Asuka's wellbeing

I don't think that's the case at all. He saves her life in Magmadiver, he tries to ask her about herself a little bit before Arael and appears interested and concerned even when she actively pushes him away, etc.

Shinji says: Whats wrong, you look upset.
The Asuka shouts and he saying: 'Thats because you kissed me you jerk'
So what does this mean?

They both grossly miscommunicated their intents to each other. Shinji is left totally baffled, and Asuka is left thinking Shinji intentionally rejected her. She's mad because she feels like she took a step out for him and he didn't reciprocate, but she's trying to brush it off and not state her reasons for blaming him so she can spare herself the embarrassment and hide her feelings.

Also, what Aura said.

BiQ
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

Postby BiQ » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:45 pm

I think (and I'm not alone) it's a bit more complicated than that. The wiki has some material on this whole thing:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_Analysis:Shinji_and_Asuka's_Relationship

I also don't think Misato was "using" Kaji in any sense of the word, unless we want to include "pouring your heart out to someone who matters to you" into "using a person that matters to you". Kaji kisses Misato from his own volition, one could even argue he takes advantage of Misato's emotionally vulnerable state at that point. And the parallel into the S/A kiss wouldn't work also because it's clearly brought up, egged on and controlled from start to finish by Asuka, even if the thing backfires on her. As much as people like to pile everything that went wrong on Shinji's shoulders and paint him as the evil bastard, he doesn't manipulate people. He's just deathly afraid of human contact, just like Asuka.

And it's not like he doesn't show concern or try to help her anywhere else in the series. Let's face it, Asuka doesn't make helping her easy, the way she pushes people away. Add in Shinji's overall reluctance to reach out to people and you get a disaster.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Postby Kendrix » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:49 pm

If anyone is using anyone here, it's Asuka.
I don't think we're meant to compare/contrast her to Kaji here - The title seems to suggest we look at the girls and their similarities/differences ("Those women who longed...")
Shinji was concerned for her on several other occassions (volcano. Incident.)

I'm more of a S/R fan, yet love the kiss scene because it's such a work of Art - This is what 14 years old actually are like, what first sexual experiences are like: Teens experiment.

It's also such a wonderful character moment - Asuka asks Shinji to kiss her out of boredom (or because she's pissed that Kaji ignores her and her date turned out to be boring - and, as we find out much later, she genuinely wanted to kiss him (Oh the beautiful irony!) but Shinji doesn't know that)

He is HESITANT at first (nothing about using here, Asuka started it!), but as he is not particularily strong-willed, this becomes one of the many occassions where Asuka directly or indirectly provokes him into doing something stupid.
This is Asuka's typical 'using' behaviour that we aren't seing for the first time (She has the complex that she mustn't depend on anyone, but she is lonely, so she wants others to give themselves to her without giving herself to them - She wants Shinji's kiss without showing him her vulnerable emotions. SHE is using him, even if she HAS understandable reasons for it)
Note how we see a blush on Shinji's face, but none on Asuka's - Shinji isn't doing this for boredom (Asuka neither, but we aren't meant to know yet), he has actual feelings/has wanted to kiss Asuka for a long time, even if he couldn't bring himself to do it. (He has his own limitations as well - he definetely wanted the kiss, but Asuka later (ep 22)seems disapointed that he wasn't more passionate about it/didn't even hold her during it - Which, of course, he didn't do because he was afraid of her rejection - He thought she was just using him to experiment - It is quite nice to see a girl in such a position. My father always warned me about the "insolent young boys who just want to experiment". Didn't it even occur to him that girl want to experiment, too?)

Asuka totally shapes the kiss after her will, she forces Shinji to please her, but always puts herself first. (She starts the kiss, it is a pretty LONG kiss/she takes all she wants and later insults Shinji, and don't forget the NOSE)

In the way, the kiss is a perfect summary of their disfunctional relationship. They both yearn for each other, but fail to communicate that because of their personal limitations - It's no coincidence that they're in the same place, wearing the same clothes in the 'relationship summary/strangulation scene' in EoE.

You can't really say that there's an "evil one" in this scene - they're both just hindered by their own limitations.
If anyone is doing any using here, it's Asuka - Shinji may be guilty of equal using in other scenes (ep 9! EoE!), but not in this one.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Aozora
Adam

Postby Aozora » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Not to mention that Asuka's "It's because I kissed you" remark is a cover for her shock at Kaji smelling like Misato's perfume. Her real reaction to the kiss was when she was gargling in the other room (or pretending to gargle). It's not really Shinji's fault he can't read through her excuses and understand what she really wants.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:52 pm

View Original PostAozora wrote:Not to mention that Asuka's "It's because I kissed you" remark is a cover for her shock at Kaji smelling like Misato's perfume. Her real reaction to the kiss was when she was gargling in the other room (or pretending to gargle). It's not really Shinji's fault he can't read through her excuses and understand what she really wants.

Though in fairness, he is one of the densest men alive. There's plenty of fault to go around there (though I don't really think either of them is using the other; that implies a level of social competence that neither really possesses).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

tehprognoob
Ireul
Ireul

Postby tehprognoob » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:22 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:If anyone is using anyone here, it's Asuka.

I don't think that it's so much Asuka using anyone as displaying her feelings in a way that her ego can tolerate. Most female anime characters in this situation would probably be a little tsundere, if not completely moe. Not something Asuka would ever be, thanks be to God.
I think she was blushing, though; in her own way, of course. She hesitated for a second, and the dreamy expression and soft whisper were very unusual.
I'll follow up later 'cause I gotta go now.

DIDDY
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby DIDDY » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:25 pm

If you're a horny user put your hands up :w00:
ONLY SMART PEOPLE LIKE EVANGELION?

AshPhoenix
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby AshPhoenix » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:38 pm

DIDDY wrote:If you're a horny user put your hands up :w00:

I'll go get Chris Brown.
Ritsuko: It can't be...an Angel devoured an Eva? That's impossible!
Maya: That's strange. The target's identification signal is turning into Zerogouki's!
~Once again proving...you are what you eat.~

(After adding something sexual to a perfectly normal post) "Fixed." --Apparently everybody on this forum.
It is unnerving to be proven wrong, particularly when you are really right and the person who is really wrong is the one who is proving you wrong and proving himself, wrongly, right. Right?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:02 am

TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

nomis1242
Lilith

Postby nomis1242 » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:20 pm

But we don't know what the topic is!!

The OP was highly confusing and he/she seems to have left the building...

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Thu Feb 24, 2011 6:51 pm

Damn and here I thought that the title of this thread would lead to some ~*serious discussion*~ about Shinji's horny usage of other people.

I feel violated right now.
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Born of Lilith
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Born of Lilith » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:29 am

"Shinji is a horny user."

Unreasonably pessimistic conjecture like this is the reason I barely spend time here anymore.
SWAG
ME
THE
FUCK
OUT

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Mar 05, 2011 5:30 am

View Original PostBorn of Lilith wrote:"Shinji is a horny user."

Unreasonably pessimistic conjecture like this is the reason I barely spend time here anymore.

So you're ignoring all the good shit around here because of the occasional "man, what?" moment? Where's the sense in that?
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:01 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Where's the sense in that?

A few things about human psychology and cognitive biases could be said here, but that would just be nerdy. How about I lock the thread instead? :bigguns:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”