Speculation: 3.0 is unlikely to be released this year.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:^Yeah, but if you rely on visuals to tell a story, good luck getting people interested in the actual movie.

Wow, then I guess radio shows are the best storytelling medium.
(What I mean to say is that if a film is telling its story through visuals only then bravo, because its truly using the film medium. I think that what you mean to say is that a movie shouldn't just be pretty pictures without any substance whatsover. But film is a visual medium, of course it has to use visuals to tell its story)

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:46 pm

I didn't think not having 3.0 released this year would be so bad, but then I realized we are in the middle of February.

At least it's good to know they are still working on it.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

SpacemanSchmuck
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby SpacemanSchmuck » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:16 am

I still have my fingers crossed for a release this year, and then my fingers crossed on the other hand for a back-to-back release with 4.0. It's possible... but of course I am sure many would say foolish to hope.

And it would probably be more psychologically healthy to just forget about it and focus on something else until 3.0 is actually out... but I don't seem capable of it. Although I could possibly distract myself for a couple of hours by finally watching Love & Pop and Shiki-Jitsu... I just can't seem to get 3.0 out of my mind!

For my money's worth, I bet the delay has largely been Anno deciding how the last half of the tetralogy will go. I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't believe in doing the same thing twice, and that he is driven to always top his previous work. I think a clear arc can be seen from Daicon IV to Gunbuster to Evangelion to EoE to Rebuild 1 and then Rebuild 2, in this sense....

No, he's not interested in retreading old ground. His goal is to blow our minds the same way NGE blew our minds the first time, and then each subsequent work always managed to do it again.

I have faith in Anno-sama. I do have my own personal hopes and fears for what will unfold in the next two films... of course. But I am certain that he will show us something surpassing what we have imagined. Such was my experience each time seeing a new Evangelion work. I can recognize a pattern when I see one, haha.
"This time, I will definitely make you happy."
---
Yes, I have watched Evangelion, the series and all four movies, at least thirty times in the past ten years. Some of it much more than that.

I just want to say I'm not very active in this forum because I get WAY too passionate about Eva and my opinions and theories and I know it, and I don't want to get carried away and start flamewars. It's (not) what I really want to do. ha ;)
http://www.recklessillumination.org

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:34 am

View Original Postdie-yng wrote:I understand they need their time to produce a good movie, but does it have to take this long?
It's not like they are using any groundbreaking new technology which might cause delays.
One might think if they just focused on making 3.0 they'd be able to move it along faster.

Well, like I said in this post, it probably has more to do with spending time writing a good script than figuring out how the buttons on a computer work.

View Original Postdie-yng wrote:I may be harsh in judgement, but after being disappointed in 2.0-2.22,
I want to know wether Rebuild really is for me or if I can just write it off and focus on the original.

That's an issue with many uncompleted sagas like this. Just remember back to the time the audience was disappointed after seeing Empire Strikes Back for the first time in 1980 because they had to spend 3 or 4 years waiting for the next movie wondering if Han Solo was going to be okay, how Luke would handle the knowledge of his father, and whether or not Luke and Leia would fall in love now that Han's kinda stuck. :tongue:

Now that the Star Wars saga is finished, most people see Empire as the best of the Star Wars films and are quite alright with Luke and Leia not falling in love with each other. Your opinion on an installment of a saga can really change depending on how the rest of the films go.

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:15 pm

The agony of waiting for a release date is nothing compared to the one of waiting for a subbed dvd release after the movie has already been out for months. Just calm down people, the time to freak out will come.

Electric Sachiel
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Electric Sachiel » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:22 pm

View Original PostA.T. Fish wrote:The agony of waiting for a release date is nothing compared to the one of waiting for a subbed dvd release after the movie has already been out for months. Just calm down people, the time to freak out will come.

LOL. Well said. Well said. I've been thinking the exact same thing in my head. Why on earth are you people already pulling hair out over 3.0's eventual release when we are unlikely to see it anytime soon since its a Japanese release?

Again when 3.0 comes out, we'll probably have to wait at least 6 months after that to view more material through a cam-rip etc. And still more time after that to view a legit import copy and eventually an english dub done by Funimation.

Keep your pants on everybody. This will be a long wait. Maybe a 2-3 year wait from today to the day that the english dub comes over here.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:43 am

It still baffles me that we don't even know what form the next installment(s) will take. Everyone seems to take it as a given that the next "two" parts will in fact be a single movie divided at the 45-minute mark, but that's not based on anything. If they're really preparing two proper, 90-minute+ films to be released a few months apart, the wait is understandable. In fact, I hope that is the case.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:14 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:It still baffles me that we don't even know what form the next installment(s) will take. Everyone seems to take it as a given that the next "two" parts will in fact be a single movie divided at the 45-minute mark, but that's not based on anything. If they're really preparing two proper, 90-minute+ films to be released a few months apart, the wait is understandable. In fact, I hope that is the case.

all explanation you need is that Anno has no idea what he is doing and can't decide on the scenario

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Why the hell can't Gainax just give a title? Seriously, just announce what the title of 3.0 is and accompany it with a picture from the trailer at the end of 2.0, we'll feed off of that until summer!
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby Clover » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:29 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Why the hell can't Gainax just give a title? Seriously, just announce what the title of 3.0 is and accompany it with a picture from the trailer at the end of 2.0, we'll feed off of that until summer!
You can (not) have watermelon without the bbQ

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:57 pm

Trailers for the movie will come out as soon as the Wiki is completely up to date. I made arrangements with the A-Man himself.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Shogo-Kun
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Shogo-Kun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:17 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:You can (not) have watermelon without the bbQ

I F**KIN' LOL'ED!!!!!! HAHAAHAHAHAHAA!!!
NGE was a damned good anime
EoE was an anime masterpiece
And Rebuild is nothing short of epic
Long live the EVAs!!

AVATAR Oreo Nakamura, Light and Dark

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:33 am

Honestly, Anno should just let Enokido write the whole thing and focus on directing. 3.0 would be out in no time and probably much better than previous installments

(now I love Rebuild so far so don't think I'm dissing previous entries here)

Tabby-chan
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Tabby-chan » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:13 pm

I don't think it makes sense for 3.0 (and a very possible 3.33) and Final to be released as one.

While 3.0 is expected to be animated like everything else (with the exception of (SPOILER) that one scene from EoE), Final is (expected) to be a live-action film, and, given the circumstance, will be INCREDIBLY more expensive to make (which will, as we all know, result in a 10-year haitus of the series and will make the manga look fast by comparison. (Is there a Vol.13 in order, BTW?))

Remember, GAiNAX only included about four or five minutes of live-action in End of Evangelion. This was probably for a reason for this: GAiNAX only had enough budget for that amount of time (except for the EoE commercial, which was also live-action), and so, it stands to reason that a WHOLE [EFF!!]ING MOVIE would be about as expensive to record as it was for Justin Beiber to become popular (which has worked).

It doesn't help that Anno-sama suffers from fear of children. God (AKA GAiNAX) knows what will happen if a single particular flesh-Shinji has problems with the director and animator, and Anno-sama flips out because the Shinji he practically created is telling him, oh, I don't know, some twenty years later, that he doesn't approve of the super-form-fitting suit (remember that our new "Shin-chan" is still a real person with actual dignity; much unlike the Shinji we're all used to) and asks to at least wear some pants that don't reveal his (non-existant) man-meat.

Indeed, a Final would only be able to have one verion, and probably no deleted scenes and the whole movie will be half-crapped, but, we'll all love it, and ask for more, but GAiNAX will pull the plug, and decide to work on something that they actually think counts as constructive (e.g.; Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, or something like that), and decide against continuing the EVA-project until the fans here at this wounderful forum/wiki/news place convince them to make ANOTHER spin-off.

BTW, is it true that an Angelic Days anime has been made? I know that a manga has been released (love it, but the art... Oh well, it's not bad. Just different. GREATLY), but is it true that an anime was released recently? Heck, let's move this to a new forum...
"When the going gets rough, the fighters fight harder." -KSL

"Perpetual change is stasis." -KSL

CORE
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CORE » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:14 pm

That live action stuff was alternative perspective/life and was shot in hours not year's!. If 3.0 opens in a alternative perspective/life like many locals have always thought i think the likely hood of them doing live action again is much lower.

Also i wouldn't think they have the rights to any sort of live action that depicts any hallmarks of Evangelion.. Im not sure they could even film people cosplaying now as that AVG crowd or Perhaps some big Hollywood studio own the rights these days.

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:23 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Honestly, Anno should just let Enokido write the whole thing and focus on directing. 3.0 would be out in no time and probably much better than previous installments

(now I love Rebuild so far so don't think I'm dissing previous entries here)

What? Why? If Anno didn't control the direction of the story, Rebuild really would be "fan fiction".

If Anno was as lazy/incompetent/insane as people inexplicably want him to be, he wouldn't be capable of holding a pencil, much less accomplishing what he has. A few more weeks without news and the rumor will be that he's too busy molesting children to finish it.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:48 pm

Might I ask which ass was all this "Live Action" pulled out of?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm

View Original PostTabby-chan wrote:GAiNAX will (...) decide to work on something that they actually think counts as constructive

This is the very reason why Anno had to leave Gainax and create his own studio to make the new Eva movies...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:45 pm

I find the fact that Anno was able to do that very interesting. Does he own the copyright to Eva (or at least, the right to take it to a different company)? There was talk a few months back about him being so fed up with Gainax that he was prepared to cut them off from Eva completely. Whether that's true or not, stuff like that doesn't happen in the states. Popular franchises stay where they were created or they aren't made at all.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Might I ask which ass was all this "Live Action" pulled out of?

Somebody's just trying to be funny...

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:11 am

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:What? Why? If Anno didn't control the direction of the story, Rebuild really would be "fan fiction".

Writer is very much submissive to the director in anime production system.

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:If Anno was as lazy/incompetent/insane as people inexplicably want him to be, he wouldn't be capable of holding a pencil, much less accomplishing what he has.

Well, Anno IS lazy :P

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:A few more weeks without news and the rumor will be that he's too busy molesting children to finish it.

I think you mean he's marathoning Ultraman.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”