Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion takes on Studio Ghibli!

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:19 pm

Yep, the characters are important in King Kong, most of the Alien films, Jurassic Park, even Predators. I noticed TDSA's 10/10 movie list includes Gamera 1 and Gamera 2 but not Gamera 3, the most character driven and generally held to be the best Gamera film (and among the best giant monster films ever).

For most humans the human element is very important; for many it's essential. The only people I've known who don't care at all for character development and just like to watch creatures and robots battle are recluses who prefer to avoid human contact altogether, which seems to mean the movies appeal most to people who just don't like people. Ghibli films will absolutely not appeal to this sort of person.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:41 pm

For most humans the human element is very important; for many it's essential.

That is why one day I'm going to make movies with just creatures and no humans.

Alright folks, Nausicaa, review comes next week, most likely on Wednesday, so lets not go off topic by talking about me.
Last edited by Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion on Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:51 pm

That is why one day I'm going to make movies with just creatures and no humans. Let's get this party started!

This actually can be done if done properly. I plan to do so myself in comic book form at some point.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:23 pm

View Original PostGuyver Spawn wrote:http://THAT WIKI/Chris-chan/Wikipedia

Guys, it's not funny if you explain the joke to him. Also, now I'm going to get banned.

But I have to say, there's a lot of untapped potential in TDSA's reviews. In fact, this Ghibli project of his kinda reminds me of the Cinema Snob. Sure, his videos have their share of TGWTG cameo shenanigans and bad skits, but I find the concept behind the character fascinating. The Snob is, well, a huge snob who loves things like French art-house films. And yet, for some reason, all he ever reviews is Z-grade cinema, titles like Violent Shit and Weasels Rip My Flesh. There's a same kind of juxtaposition at work here, except here we have a Z-grade reviewer reviewing good material.

Essentially, the TDSA show would be all about him reviewing anime titles that obviously don't fit his tastes: magical girl shows, DEEP shows, character-driven epics, slices-of-life. Obviously, he would frequently compare them to things he actually likes. Preferably shirtlessly, whilst cradling two airsoft guns. It would be the bestest, manliest review show ever. I've actually prepared some episode outlines for the first season:

SPOILER: Show
Episode 1: Sora no Woto

TDSA takes on a show that was intentionally created to kill all post-apocalyptic fiction and to erase the Mad Max movies from existence.

Episode 2: The Rose of Versailles

TDSA busts a myth and proves mathematically that a show with a female protagonist cannot be manly even under the most favorable circumstances.

Episode 3: Obari retrospective

Masami Obari is both the greatest and the worst anime director of our era. On one hand, he's the greatest because he directs awesome, high-octane action. On the other hand, he's the absolute worst because when there's no action going on, his directing basically amounts to a life-essence sucking bog of tits. TDSA visits both heaven and hell and brings souvenirs.

Episode 4: Angel's Egg

TDSA busts his computer monitor and talks about the concept of "hipster".

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:That is why one day I'm going to make movies with just creatures and no humans.

Holy ANF flashback, Batman! Now I'm reminded of Shinji_Ikari, the guy who said he was going to direct his own live-action Eva. He created some of the most legendary threads ever.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:28 pm

I agree with Dr. Nick, I think twin drive drive has star potential. He should make a review show called "The Cinema Hobo" and talk about not just anime but movies too, and each show he should do something crazy and over the top, he should also dress up like 70's action robot for one episode.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:32 pm

@Nick: I would actually pay to see that show. :lol:
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:57 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote: Ghibli films will absolutely not appeal to this sort of person.

In that case, they will only be getting a 9/10. Pieces of shit I tell you.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:28 pm

View Original PostOz wrote:@Nick: I would actually pay to see that show. :lol:

Ditto. But if he starts doing pointless cameos, I'm going to start a website pointing out the stupidity of the whole show and hope they'll notice its' existence...and probably piss off like three people on another forum.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby DevRei17 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:10 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:TDSA is a monster expert the same way Chris-chan is a Sonic expert.

I should have mentioned this on the dream thread, but in my dream TDSA looked a little like everyone's favorite high functioning autistic.
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

JTurner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JTurner » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:00 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:It does, and it's the 2010 re-release, so avoid that as best as you can or just watch the film in dub (which is good, as far as dubs go).

I will attest to the latter in wholehearted agreement. I like the Castle in the Sky dub a lot. Especially because it has a great supporting cast--Luke Skywalker plays the doublecrossing badguy, Miss Skinner voices Dola, and other character actors like Jim Cummings, Mandy Patinkin, Andy Dick, and Mike McShane all have fun with their roles. It's also got a superb reworking of Hisaishi's music (on the 2003 DVD release, that is; the 2010 one mysteriously deletes it). Its only weaknesses are the sometimes excessively chatty dialogue and the considerably older sounding (but still competent overall) leads, but otherwise, it's a very good dub, and one that I'd recommend without hesitation.

Actually, I can extend that to any of the other Ghibli movies. Perhaps because Disney is backing them, these are some of the best dubs in buisness. Not that you can't have great dubs from other companies, but these are in a class of their own. Castle is one of my favorite dubs to listen to, but I also have to admit that I am very fond of the dubs for Mononoke, Kiki, Whisper, and Totoro. Although really, I like them all in English.

Not that I haven't seen them in Japanese--I DID see Laputa, Nausicaa, Porco, and Howl subbed, but I liked their dubbed counterparts better. A) because they're well-produced and easy to listen to in English, B) because I can focus on the visuals, and C) because I can't connect with these films in a language I don't understand (sorry hardcore fans).

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:32 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:That is why one day I'm going to make movies with just creatures and no humans. :bigguns:
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:39 pm

I see what you did there :lol:
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I nearly spat my drink on screen, nice job NAW :rofl:

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:57 pm

Mine is gonna be more for teens and adults though. :lol:
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:16 pm

^ WOOOSH!
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

toe mash
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby toe mash » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:41 pm

View Original PostTwin Drive Sigma Aquarion wrote:Mine is gonna be more for teens and adults though. :lol:

I never got the "Land Beforee Time" (fuck you, filter) meme around here, but I'm sure the joke is much broader than just the fact that it's a movie with no humans :)

Although that filter might have given me the answer I was looking for, actually :chinscratch:

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:30 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:Image

Awesome. :clap:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

symbv
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby symbv » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:13 am

I was thinking of ICE AGE, but this one surely beats it :lol:
I never thought I would come back to Evangelion after EoE,
But I discovered Re-Take (or it found me?) and
now here I am.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asuka FAN FOREVER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ZapX
Guided by the New Era
Guided by the New Era

•      
  •      

Postby ZapX » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:23 am

For the people who don't get it or are newer to the forum: A while back, there was this sort of rule that mentioning the L and Before Time got a thread immediately locked. Call it a joke or meme or whatever. I don't remember exactly how that came to be but maybe someone else can refresh my memory. I think it had something to with defectron derailing a thread or something.

Anyway, NAveryW was making a joke that was hilarious if you got it but a legit response at the same time. Now that I've explained it you'll never find it funny. Maybe next time.
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ"Stop watching anime. it makes you think all girls are incredibly hot and shy, and there are 10 that all want your boner which just isn't true." -Brik-aniki

"I CAN'T HELP IT THAT I WANT TO EAT MY OWN VULVA AND SHARE IT WITH A LOVED ONE!"-Reichu

"I have a fetish for naked women with stigmata playing ping pong in the mud. Is there a name for that?" -Kaiser O-Ornette-dono-sama

“Don’t do that; that was probably hooker money.” -SSD on me holding money with my mouth

MugwumpHasNoLiver
Erotic Humiliation
Erotic Humiliation

•      
  •      

Postby MugwumpHasNoLiver » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:53 am

:lol: :hitthetable: :rofl:

This thread encapsulates everything I love about EGF, and it's only going to get better. I'm now madly in love with all of you. I want to take every single one of you guys out back and do things to your genitals; silly things.
"Now, from Nature we obtain abundant information about ourselves, and precious little about others. About the woman you clasp in your arms, can you say with certainty that she does not feign pleasure? About the woman you mistreat, are you quite sure that from abuse she does not derive some obscure and lascivious satisfaction? Let us confine ourselves to simple evidence: through thoughtfulness, gentleness, concern for the feelings of others we saddle our own pleasure with restrictions, and make this sacrifice to obtain a doubtful result." -The Divine Marquis

"I agree Hans, but we have talked about those anal fisting analogies." -Werner Herzog

Return to “Anime and Manga”