Was Kaji misinformed, or...?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:29 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Also, Where would the Angels have come from if there was only Adam and no Lilith?

Also Adam, to hammer in how closely related we are to the Angels; we are all children of the first man.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Sep 30, 2015 8:45 pm

Adam was introduced to the series as the first human (called such by Gendo) and the progenitor of the Angels. So from the start it was setting us up to believe humans came from Adam as well.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:39 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Could you be more specific?
Why do you think the Angels weren't going to cause Third Impact?
View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Adam was introduced to the series as the first human (called such by Gendo) and the progenitor of the Angels. So from the start it was setting us up to believe humans came from Adam as well.
And yet we're instead filth descended from the death goddess who genocide our betters to survive.

"Ahahaha, you're actually descended from the filth!" is the most Lovecraftian twist there is (not that Eva is lacking in other guro and horrific elements or even specific references to Poe), but I've never seen it played up even though it's blatantly there.

Honestly I've always associated it somewhat with Imperial State Shinto, the whole idea that the Japanese people are descended from Amaterasu, who's of course the daughter of Izanagi (read: Adam), and then the denial of it...

On the other hand the death goddess is a total babe and isn't bad at all.

And I've hardly seen the Ender's Game angle played up either. And, if Bagheera is right, it becomes even more straightforward.

Which is interesting, because Gunbuster was a lot like Ender's Game without that twist. And better.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:05 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Why do you think the Angels weren't going to cause Third Impact?

Oh, well, as to that: best to refer to my take on Impact Events and the People who Drive Them.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don't know why Seele would number things like that, though, nor why it would even make sense to do so if Lilith wasn't in the picture.
Why wouldn't they number the Angels according to the order of their creation?
I mean, the final scheme (apparently the order the Angels are discovered or dealt with) works too, but.
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:48 am

Been reading 3-4 linked threads and it gets tiring fast. If the analysis section gives me nothing I might spend some time to sum things up with references and all. No wonder some threads develop through yearsssssssssssssssdddsdsdguh

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:03 am

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Why wouldn't they number the Angels according to the order of their creation?
I mean, the final scheme (apparently the order the Angels are discovered or dealt with) works too, but.

Another possibility is that they're not responsible for numbering the Angels. It's likely in the hands of Nerv and everybody there is unaware of the true nature of the Angels, except for Gendo and Fuyutsuki (maybe Ritsuko) who are keeping quiet about it. Nerv most likely categorizes the Angels the way they do because it's the order in which they encounter them.

Doesn't explain Lilith, but I'm sure there's some story there as to why she got counted so early.
Last edited by Sachi on Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:07 am

Judging by ep 14, I think it was indeed Seele who numbered them. I think they might have been numbered based on when they arrived on Earth: Adam first, Lilith next, and the Angels in the order of their creation. But of course that reflects my own bias, since in my headcanon Seele encountered Lilith first (since she's right there in Hakone), and only thought to look for Adam when she didn't seem to match up with the SDSS (which talk about the Angels, which are not her thing).
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:11 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Judging by ep 14, I think it was indeed Seele who numbered them. I think they might have been numbered based on when they arrived on Earth: Adam first, Lilith next, and the Angels in the order of their creation.
That's what I always thought, but if that were the case we would be the Third, not Sachiel.

Perhaps the Angels are listed according to the order in which they are prepared for Instrumentality?

1. Adam, reduced to an embryo, check.
2. Lilith, crucified and restrained, check.
3. Sachiel, sacrificed, check.

The Dead Sea Scrolls are a really strange element.
CI  SPOILER: Show
CI wrote:C. Confidential Information

Seele possess a vast amount of wealth, and, consequently, they had one face as a patron foundation of the arts and research. The Artificial Evolution Laboratory, Gehirn, etc., were funded entirely by Seele. Perhaps because of their origins as a religious organization, Seele often managed the funding support for investigations into the relics of their own faith. Among these, something was excavated that marked a significant turning point for both Seele and humankind: the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls.

D. In-Depth Information

The Secret Dead Sea Scrolls are a scripture written by the First Ancestral Race, a manual regarding the Seed of Life (Progenitor Entity) and the usage of the Spear of Longinus security device, possibly while applying a scheme at the time of use to a religious group's own doctrines. They are written prophecy, in so far as they remain active even in the current day according to a design of the past.

Until then, Seele had only fragmentary knowledge of the scrolls' contents and existence, but they had never imagined that the scrolls might actually exist, contain meaningful prophecies, and turn up in near-perfect condition. They were sent to headquarters promptly, upon which the actual truth was skewed and immediately covered up. The parts of little consequence, later released to the public, were called the Dead Sea Scrolls, whereas what Seele made off with were dubbed the Secret Dead Sea Scrolls.
They seem to be supposed to be parts of the actual Dead Sea Scrolls. Obviously this is contradicted by the other version, that the Scrolls were taken from the Moons- what's the precise source on that?

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:36 am

Our best guess is that the scrolls of Lilith were removed from her moon and taken to the middle east......somehow (perhaps her collision resulted in the scrolls being jolted halfway across the planet maybe)
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”