Evangelion 2.0 CRC: Tsurumaki Interview

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:28 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote: They had so many that they didn't know how in the world to treat them, yet they were still insistent on bringing in an additional one that they also had no idea about.

As if Mari had taked the entire screentime.
She's a bit like Kaworu - Short screentime, huge impact in the vievers head. Didn't Enokido compare the two of them?
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:31 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:As if Mari had taked the entire screentime.
She's a bit like Kaworu - Short screentime, huge impact in the vievers head. Didn't Enokido compare the two of them?

She takes over parts of roles that originally belonged to two or three original characters who were grossly underdeveloped as a result. Kaji's relationship with Shinji (and Misato) was totally neutered, as one of the most striking results of this switcharound.

If something happens to Kaji in 3.0, is anyone in-universe even going to particularly care? Is anyone in the audience who didn't see the original show going to care, for that matter?

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:32 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Anno apparently doesn't remember his own characters.

The way a fan sees a character tends to be different from the way its creator might see it. I thought the description of Shinji by Anno and Tsurumaki in the original episodes and Rebuild here was dead-on. But that's just me.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:33 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:As if Mari had taked the entire screentime.

The Goddess Maaya Sakamoto-sama said to Anno during one recording session exuberantly that with Mari he had destroyed the Old Evangelion.

She was entirely correct.

As such she can be compared to Kaworu - both had huge impact in spite of their minimal screentime

As for the "they don't know what to do heeelp":

The main "problem" here is the way Anno has given considerably more creative control to people like Tsurumaki, Masayuki, Enokido etc. in comparison to original work. They all have their own ideas and interprepations of characters and events. Anno works in far more democratic manner than during making of original, as can be seen in the way he didn't use his veto right as Chief Director when Enokido went and hacked his favourite scenes away. This is not the dictator Anno who hijacked practically every aspect of production in order to create EoTV

All these "we don't know what to do lol" reflect the tensions and differing ideas and arguments inherent in this kind of more "group oriented" creating.

Final result wastes not a single second of screentime when it comes to developing cast. They succeeded.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:She takes over parts of roles that originally belonged to two or three original characters who were grossly underdeveloped as a result. Kaji's relationship with Shinji (and Misato) was totally neutered, as one of the most striking results of this switcharound.

If something happens to Kaji in 3.0, is anyone in-universe even going to particularly care? Is anyone in the audience who didn't see the original show going to care, for that matter?

Well, they do have an entire one or maybe even two films to do that. I do wish that they hadn't made that change since that's one of my favorite Kaji moments in the story.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Puh, I thought I was the only one who likes Rebuild. I was starting to wonder that something's wrong with me. Maybe ppl get so defensive because they don't want the 'original' to be replaced - Tthose who like it tend to see it as a spiritual continuation, I think...

I think the Characterisantion aren't THAT different in the beginning - TV EVA used to spell things out for you (like, Asuka's inner workings for example). It was good in it's own way. It was very powerful.

Rebuild works more with visual metaphors and subtle Details, but it eventually tells a similar story.

I'm not claiming that I got everything from the beginnning - I wouldn't have gotten EoE without help from the Internets. And I used to think that the end of 2.0 was suposed to be a big deviation/ follow a different spirit, but after reading this interview, I've come to the conclusion that it is more similar to ep 19 than I thought.
There are differences - IMMA MAAN! instead of "Mommy help me!" for example, but the main thought is the same - Shinji realizes that he WANTS to get into the Mecha (even if he later denies it/lots of bad stuff happens to our poor Shinji - and he STILL choses to live)
I think the only difference is that Rebuild!Shinji also realizes WHAT his reason for getting into Shogoki was, not only that he has one.

About the Kaji thing, his relationship with Shinji IS still the way it was (1st melon patch dialogue virtually unchanged if not expanded, conversation in the Aquarium added) Of course, Kaji/Misato went somewhat aout of focus (even if there WAS some) but they just havemore time for this in a relationship. I lost Rei getting angry at Asuka in ep 16. We all lost some of our fav stuff and so did the writers, but it's still THERE in the original. They're movies - Plus, if they make Kaji and Misato have one well done romantic scene and/or the sex scene, killing him off would have it's boom effect.
It's not like I didn't miss the 2nd melon patch conversation or Monstah!Shogoki at all, (and Kensuke camping! I missed it so much as much as I love the destroyed highway scene), but I understand why it was left out.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:22 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:All for money, all for toys. We know this must be the case because:

[because]
I doubt that's the case. No need to create new characters to make toys of when you're still making most of your money stuffing Asuka and Rei into different outfits.

(Before someone brings up the "They wanted to create a capital for Khara" thing, that's not the case; Khara was only founded when Yamaga said no to Anno's proposal for the new movies because he wanted to do Gurren Lagann.)

The people behind NME certainly aren't approaching the story in a traditional fashion, fumbling around just as much as they did with NGE. But it's more likely to be problematic to make things up as they go this time because people who loved the original will be much more hostile when they feel aspects of the remake don't live up, and because NGE was constructed in such a (seemingly) tight manner that screwing around with elements of it pull apart other elements.

Anno announced his intention to fight stagnation and change the anime industry once again with these movies despite presumably not knowing how he would do so. This shows a confidence (one might say hubris) on his part that he's capable of delivering a transcendent product. He may have to retract this statement later and shave his head again, but it at least shows it's not all about making more toys.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:49 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:52 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I would like to spell out in no uncertain terms that I am very glad these interviews are being translated, and I thank you 1731 for doing it.

I do not want the change in demeanor, opinion, and attitude that I have demonstrated to somehow be discouraging or misinterpreted as unappreciative whining or attacking the messenger. It is immensely valuable and contributive of you and the other translators that have worked for the fandom to help us better understand the works with things such as this.

Disappointment about content shouldn't be discouraging, and it is very confusing and frustrating to hear that that has been the case with many translators through the history of this site and Eva fandom in particular. Apparently this is just a part of human nature or a factor in someone putting effort into something that negative reactions to the content of it might be discouraging. If people are outraged about content, that's sensational and should probably be even more stimulating to doing the work than not. At least that's how I think it would be for me, but I can't say I'm the most psychologically normal person.

At any rate, again thank you 1731 and I hope that you do not become discouraged by the fandom like several previous translators apparently have been. This really is great work and everyone who has been aware of it has been buzzing and talking about it; it's a terrific contribution.

Wholeheartedly agreed. 1731 has done a fantastic and commendable service in making this information available to English-speaking fans and giving us far greater insight into the production process that led to things we may have liked or disliked, allowing us to better shape our interpretations of what we've seen and expect.

Naminator
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Naminator » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:17 am

View Original PostKendrix wrote:However, with these statements, it is clear that Shinji/Asuka is :guillotine:

My reaction

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:17 am

Just a thought here -- have any of the scribes here considered extracting the interview translations and putting them on wiki pages where they aren't going to get lost in the reactions to the content?
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:03 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just a thought here -- have any of the scribes here considered extracting the interview translations and putting them on wiki pages where they aren't going to get lost in the reactions to the content?

My only feeling is that they should maybe be revised/checked by others/proofread/etc. before anything is seriously done with them ^^; I think they will need some work before they are presentable outside of the context of this thread; but, of course, anyone can do anything they want with what's there.

View Original PostReichu wrote:The section of interview Number-kun posted was originally published in the 2.0 movie booklet, which Anno apparently didn't contribute to. There is an XBOX FUCKING HUEG Anno interview in 2.0 CRC, which I haven't sent to Number-kun yet for fear that his brain will asplode.

^______^

Although, I'm really starting to wonder how Anno is going to respond to some of the things Tsurumaki says!!
Last edited by 1731298478 on Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

LiLi
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby LiLi » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:54 am

Disappointment about content shouldn't be discouraging, and it is very confusing and frustrating to hear that that has been the case with many translators through the history of this site and Eva fandom in particular.

Heh. That - the issue of how and why some people stopped translating for this fandom - is a whole can of worms that I think would be best left unopened [s]at least until 3I[/s]...
"People need more stfu in their diets." (NemZ)
"It was brainf@rt at first sight." [LiLi on Romance, II]

AVATAR - CUPCAKE CAT, SHOPPED BY NemZ

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:32 am

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:27 am

For Exeption, I agree with everyone here: You're doing a big service to EVA fans all over the world, Number boy.

SaltyJoe
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby SaltyJoe » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:00 am

View Original PostXard wrote:That's all Tsurumaki's saying: there isn't as much planning as it looks like.

Except that this time around, things don't look planned at all: people (like myself) wanted to think that everything we see is the result of measured consideration and an overaraching vision. The more is revealed, the less this seems to be the case. Also, just because the original somehow emerged from chaos the way it did, doesn't mean that they should stick to their approach through and through.

I must commend Lucretius (as of now temp-banned): despite my grasping for the contrary, he was basically right on every one of his assessments he made about the movie.

All these "we don't know what to do lol" reflect the tensions and differing ideas and arguments inherent in this kind of more "group oriented" creating.

I just can't wrap my head around why would they do this.

Tsurumaki remarked that a movie needs to establish a "flow" faster then a TV series or a manga. That's completely true, however, there must be some relation between how "fluid" the production should be to achieve greater "flow" in a given form. If anything, a movie needs more control, not less.

Final result wastes not a single second of screentime when it comes to developing cast.

That's true. The film wastes time with much more frivolous things than character development.

Seele00TextOnly wrote:At any rate, again thank you 1731 and I hope that you do not become discouraged by the fandom like several previous translators apparently have been. This really is great work and everyone who has been aware of it has been buzzing and talking about it; it's a terrific contribution.

Indeed.
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it is too dark to read."

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:59 am

I've mostly been ignoring this whole subforum, but LiLi pointed me to this thread.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said by someone else already, but I'm truely astounded at the level of FAIL this interview has revealed.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Oz
Finland Miracle
Finland Miracle

•      
  •      

Postby Oz » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:03 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said by someone else already, but I'm truely astounded at the level of FAIL this interview has revealed.

Whose FAIL are you talking about? The makers of Rebuild or those who are bitching about it?
"I'd really like to have as much money as you have, Oz" - robersora
"No you wouldn't. Oz's secret is he goes without food to buy that stuff. He hasn't eaten in years." - Brikhaus

"Often I get the feeling that deep down, your little girl is struggling with your embrace of filmfaggotry and your loldeep fixations, and the conflict that arises from such a contradiction is embodied pretty well in Kureha's character. But obviously it's not any sort of internal conflict that makes the analogy work. It's the pigtails." - Merridian
"Oh, Oz, I fear I'm losing my filmfag to the depths of Japanese pop. If only there were more films with Japanese girls in glow-in-the-dark costumes you'd be the David Bordwell of that genre." - Jimbo
"Oz, I think we need to stage an intervention and force you to watch some movies that aren't made in Japan." - Trajan

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:21 am

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:
View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Just a thought here -- have any of the scribes here considered extracting the interview translations and putting them on wiki pages where they aren't going to get lost in the reactions to the content?

My only feeling is that they should maybe be revised/checked by others/proofread/etc. before anything is seriously done with them ^^; I think they will need some work before they are presentable outside of the context of this thread; but, of course, anyone can do anything they want with what's there.

I was actually thinking about that. Something like OCRing the original Japanese text and having it there for any revision/correction if there is any doubt. Although that no doubt will require additional efforts from the community to fill in the blanks and we're already overworking 1731298478.

I really would like something like there where it's all neaty and tidy and easily referenced but lately I've been battling heavy bouts of laziness. Maybe in the new semester when I'm looking for a reason not to do schoolwork.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby 1731298478 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:44 pm

View Original PostSeele00TextOnly wrote:I'm not sure anymore how you really feel about the subject...

I think, sometimes the Rebuild negativity feels a bit disheartening, but I understand why people get so emotional about Eva and how people can feel the way they do about Rebuild. The new Eva films are very strange. Eva as a whole is very strange. I don't think I ever realized how strange. But I certainly appreciated the post ^^

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I was actually thinking about that. Something like OCRing the original Japanese text and having it there for any revision/correction if there is any doubt.

One thing I wanted to do was to type up the Japanese text of the parts I've attempted and place it alongside the translation. When I get some time I will try to do that. I think, on the whole, producing a good English version of the interviews will be a long term project ^^;

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”